3 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2011 6:57 AM by EdStevens RSS

Help getting started

i am an ASP.Net developer with C# language, I also have hands on experience on MS SQL and MySQL.
      Now i realized that im more database guy then programming. Please advise me best book to start
      oracle dba with practicals and industry point of view.

thanks in advance

Amjad Iqbal
        • 1. Re: Help getting started
          Pavan Kumar
          hi,

I would be better to start from Oracle documenation
          http://tahiti.oracle.com/

- Pavan Kumar N
          • 2. Re: Help getting started
            Search for Oracle documentation on google.
            All docs from oracle are good.
            For 11g go to below site
            http://www.oracle.com/pls/db111/portal.portaldb?selected=4&frame=_
            • 3. Re: Help getting started
              EdStevens
              857367 wrote:
              i am an ASP.Net developer with C# language, I also have hands on experience on MS SQL and MySQL.
              Now i realized that im more database guy then programming. Please advise me best book to start
              oracle dba with practicals and industry point of view.

thanks in advance

Amjad Iqbal
              First, forget everything you learned about databases from MS SQL. The similarities between that and Oracle begin and end with SELECT * FROM EMP;

Go to tahiti.oracle.com.

Drill down to your product and version.

<b><i><u>BOOKMARK THAT LOCATION</u></i></b>

Spend a few minutes just getting familiar with what is available here. Take special note of the "books" and "search" tabs. Under the "books" tab you will find the complete documentation library.

Spend a few minutes just getting familiar with what <b><i><u>kind</u></i></b> of documentation is available there by simply browsing the titles under the "Books" tab.

Open the Reference Manual and spend a few minutes looking through the table of contents to get familiar with what <b><i><u>kind</u></i></b> of information is available there.

Do the same with the SQL Reference Manual.

Do the same with the Utilities manual.

You don't have to read the above in depth. They are <b><i><u>reference</b></i></u> manuals. Just get familiar with <b><i><u>what</b></i></u> is there to <b><i><u>be</b></i></u> referenced. Ninety percent of the questions asked on this forum can be answered in less than 5 minutes by simply searching one of the above manuals.

Then set yourself a plan to dig deeper.
              - Read a chapter a day from the Concepts Manual.
              - Take a look in your alert log. One of the first things listed at startup is the initialization parms with non-default values. Read up on each one of them (listed in your alert log) in the Reference Manual.
              - Take a look at your listener.ora, tnsnames.ora, and sqlnet.ora files. Go to the Network Administrators manual and read up on everything you see in those files.
              - When you have finished reading the Concepts Manual, do it again.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

Also, you'll want a test system to practice on. Go to VMware.com and download vmplayer. It's legally free. Or invest US$185 in your career and download VMworkstation. It has the same functionality with some added management features.

Next, go to oracle.com and download Oracle Enterprise Linux. It's legally free. Use it to create a virtual machine on your desktop/laptop computer

Next, go to oracle.com and download Oracle rdbms. It's legally free for your own study purposes. Install it on your virtual Linux machine.

Edited by: EdStevens on May 9, 2011 6:54 AM