4 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2011 10:58 PM by 861169 RSS

SMTP delay send

I have a need to delay delivery of email under certain circumstances. I found the necessary RFC (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4865) but am a little stuck as to how to incorporate that capability into a message I'm composing. Any help would be appreciated.
        • 1. Re: SMTP delay send
          Bill Shannon-Oracle
          Let's start with basics...

Have you determined that your mail server supports that capability? Not all servers do.
          (I'm not even sure that any servers I know about do.)
          • 2. Re: SMTP delay send
            I haven't confirmed that, no, and now that I see it's a proposed standard, not an agreed standard, I may be stuck. I was thinking given the age of the document that there might be some support for it but it looks like I'll have to implement it manually. Thanks anyway.
            • 3. Re: SMTP delay send
              JDScoot
              If the server does not support this capability you could implement manually by storing the email information (to, from, subject, body, etc) in a database along with a "to be sent" time or date.

Then have a process query the DB on a specified time interval and check the "to be sent date/time" for a match, compile the message from the DB fields, send the message, and flag the DB entry as sent.

Not sure it's the best way but would be a quick and dirty way to do it.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see you had already posted you were going to do it manually.

Edited by: JDScoot on May 11, 2011 8:55 PM
              • 4. Re: SMTP delay send
                I was trying to avoid the database option. That's my next consideration. Thanks.