This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: May 25, 2011 4:03 AM by fac586 RSS

Report Does Not Follow Select Column Order

846231 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,

Apex 2.2 on 10gXE

I always encounter this problem, the display column on report does not follow the select column sequence order in the "region source".
It is very tedious clicking the up/down arrow one-by-one in the "report attributes" especially if the display columns are plenty like 40 columns.
Is there a fix/patch or alternative tips for this bug?

Thanks a lot,

Edited by: 843228 on May 24, 2011 10:32 PM
  • 1. Re: Report Does Not Follow Select Column Order
    fac586 Guru
    Apex 2.2 on 10gXE
    Start by upgrading from this old unsupported version.
    >
    I always encounter this problem, the display column on report does not follow the select column sequence order in the "region source".
    It is very tedious clicking the up/down arrow one-by-one in the "report attributes" especially if the display columns are plenty like 40 columns.
    Is there a fix/patch or alternative tips for this bug?
    >

This is not a bug. APEX maintains the original column order of the report. This avoids problems downstream in areas like the processing of <tt>g_fnn</tt> arrays in declarative tabular forms, where the assigned arrays are column-order dependent.

APEX 4.x fixes column ordering bugs that could lead to report corruption, and includes drag-and-drop column ordering in the new tree view in addition to the up/down arrow re-ordering.

If you really want column order to follow that in the source query, the workaround is to create a new report using the modified query.
  • 2. Re: Report Does Not Follow Select Column Order
    846231 Newbie
    Thanks fac, :)
    If you really want column order to follow that in the source query, the workaround is to create a new report using the modified query.
    But if I use modified query, the default edit/search/spread sheet/ buttons are gone.

So there is no workaround in apex 2.0 ? and this problem is solved in apex 4.0? can apex 4.0 run in 10gXE my free database?
    Can you give me docs on how to upgrade it please........
  • 3. Re: Report Does Not Follow Select Column Order
    fac586 Guru
    But if I use modified query, the default edit/search/spread sheet/ buttons are gone.
    These can be copied or moved to the new report region.
    So there is no workaround in apex 2.0 ? and this problem is solved in apex 4.0?
    There is no workaround in 2.x, nor is there a solution in 4.0 because there is no problem: APEX is working as designed.
    can apex 4.0 run in 10gXE my free database?
    Yes.
    Can you give me docs on how to upgrade it please........
    Upgrading Oracle Application Express within Oracle Database 10g Express Edition (XE)

(Please update your forum profile with a better handle than "843228".)
  • 4. Re: Report Does Not Follow Select Column Order
    846231 Newbie
    There is no workaround in 2.x, nor is there a solution in 4.0 because there is no problem: APEX is working as designed.
    What i mean is, in version 4.0 I do not do much clicking up/down to move column positions? and there is an easier way?
  • 5. Re: Report Does Not Follow Select Column Order
    fac586 Guru
    and there is an easier way?
    There's drag-and-drop in the new Application Builder page tree view.
  • 6. Re: Report Does Not Follow Select Column Order
    846231 Newbie
    Hi fac,

I downloaded the Apex 4.0.2 the size is 80Mb. I do not know if it a patch or the base. It say that I have to download first the base 4.0
    Where can I get that? The link you gave me points to this 4.0.2 which is I think a patch?

Thanks
  • 7. Re: Report Does Not Follow Select Column Order
    fac586 Guru
    It say that I have to download first the base 4.0
    What says that? The Upgrading Oracle Application Express within Oracle Database 10g Express Edition (XE) instruction page doesn't mention "base" anything.

The OTN download is the full APEX distribution. Patch sets are only available from Oracle Support.

Have you read those instructions fully? Do you understand that upgrading will provide improved APEX capabilities, but remove some GUI database admin tools only provided under 2.1? Back up the database before you start.

Be aware that as a matter of principle I don't answer install questions. If you decide to proceed with the upgrade and you have any difficulty with the installation, start a new thread with any questions as I will not respond on this one.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points