8 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2011 2:31 PM by aidreamer RSS

JavaFX continues the support of JavaFX

We are analyzing some possible solutions to provide a web solution across different devices and browsers.

JavaFX is an option but I have found information that the project JavaFX is going to be discontinued by Oracle:

http://www.coderanch.com/t/533315/Java-FX/java/future-JavaFX

Is that true?

Any information or confirmation would be great.

Thanks

Edited by: user3843724 on 25-May-2011 06:33
        • 1. Re: JavaFX continues the support of JavaFX
          aidreamer
          It is partially true. It would be more accurate to say that the JavaFX Scripting language is being discontinued. The JavaFX graphics APIs on the other hand are being converted to normal Java APIs. A public beta of this should be available at the end of the month. For more details, see here: http://javafx.com/roadmap/

For an example of what the new JavaFX will look like, see here: http://www.adam-bien.com/roller/abien/entry/hello_javafx_2_back_to
          • 2. Re: JavaFX continues the support of JavaFX
            Thank you aidreamer for your quick response.

The term "discontinued" is not totally clear to me. It means, in this case, to migrate from 1.3.1 to 2.0, right?

So we are saying that JavaFX is not going to, let's say, disappear. Totally the opposite.
            It is completely supported by Oracle. In word of the Roadmap web "Oracle is committed to making JavaFX the premier environment for rich client applications."

Our interest is in producing a web application, with advanced components (tables, menus, trees,...) as alternative to other approaches like Ajax.
            Then the solution would consist in running JavaFX in an applet of the HTML page. Am I correct?

Another concern is the licensing. As it will become part of java, no license is required.

And last but not least, we are interested in making the web accessible from different devices (PC, PDA, advanced mobiles...) and different browsers (IE, Mozilla, Safari,...). Is there a list of tested devices/browsers compatible with JavaFX?

Thanks in advance
            • 3. Re: JavaFX continues the support of JavaFX
              aidreamer
              >
              The term "discontinued" is not totally clear to me. It means, in this case, to migrate from 1.3.1 to 2.0, right?

So we are saying that JavaFX is not going to, let's say, disappear. Totally the opposite.
              It is completely supported by Oracle. In word of the Roadmap web "Oracle is committed to making JavaFX the premier environment for rich client applications."
              >

Sort of. JavaFX in general is not being discontinued, only the scripting language is being dropped. JavaFX 2.0 will be a normal Java API. So for instance, this:
              //Creating and using a stage in the scripting language.
              Stage {
                  scene: Scene {
                  }
              }
              will no longer be possible in Script. But it will be possible to do in normal Java:
              //Using a stage in normal Java.
              public class Main extends Application {

/**
                   * From what I have seen in the more recent examples produced by Oracle employees in their blogs,
                   * the main stage is given to you inside this method.
                   */
                  public void start(Stage stage) {
                      //Create a scene and add it the Java way.
                      Scene scene = new Scene();
                      stage.setScene(scene);
                  }

public static void main(String[] args) {
                      Launcher.start(Main.class, args);
                  }
              }
              Our interest is in producing a web application, with advanced components (tables, menus, trees,...) as alternative to other approaches like Ajax.
              Then the solution would consist in running JavaFX in an applet of the HTML page. Am I correct?
              >

Sure.

>
              Another concern is the licensing. As it will become part of java, no license is required.
              >

I have no idea what the license will say. But technically speaking, there is a license for normal Java. I am quite certain there will be a license for JavaFX.

If you are asking whether you can develop commercial applications with it free of charge, the answer should be yes. I think the license is mainly just to make sure you accept that you are using their software at your own risk and won't sue them if something goes wrong. Of course, I am not a lawyer, so use my advice at your own risk and make sure to read the license for yourself when it comes out!

>
              And last but not least, we are interested in making the web accessible from different devices (PC, PDA, advanced mobiles...) and different browsers (IE, Mozilla, Safari,...). Is there a list of tested devices/browsers compatible with JavaFX?
              >

I don't think so. I can tell you right now though that support for mobile has been dropped for the time being. Oracle will probably try to build support for it in the future, but they are still kind of busy trying to make JavaFX in general work.
              • 4. Re: JavaFX continues the support of JavaFX
                aidreamer
                New update, JavaFX 2.0 beta has been released!

http://javafx.com/downloads/all.jsp

Other platforms seem to be in the works, but unfortunately it's only available for windows for the time being.

According to the FAQ, licensing is the same as JavaSE.
                • 5. Re: JavaFX continues the support of JavaFX
                  Can somebody from JavaFX developer team tell us 'small and pitiful' Linux users, when your Oracle highness plan to distribute javafx 2.0 version for Linux?
                  • 6. Re: JavaFX continues the support of JavaFX
                    gimbal2
                    861966 wrote:
                    Can somebody from JavaFX developer team tell us 'small and pitiful' Linux users, when your Oracle highness plan to distribute javafx 2.0 version for Linux?
                    When its done?

If you have such a low esteem of Oracle, why do you use their stuff anyway? Go use .NET in stead, which is created by the masters of the universe.
                    • 7. Re: JavaFX continues the support of JavaFX
                      Why I use, or why Linux users use?

One more question :
                      Can U confirm that this release of JavaFX is just a beginning of crashing good old dream .. Java write once run anywhere .. ?
                      • 8. Re: JavaFX continues the support of JavaFX
                        aidreamer
                        The entire POINT of Java is cross platform-ability. Of course they will extend support to other platforms at some point. We just don't know exactly when.

I am also a little disappointed that I cannot use JavaFX due to being a Linux user, but realistically speaking, they are still trying to get JavaFX to work. While figuring things out, they are naturally going to have to build things on one platform first to see if it works. It may as well be the most popular OS that they test things on.

An Oracle employee has in fact posted a response to this general concern right here: http://fxexperience.com/2011/05/is-javafx-2-0-cross-platform/