1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 112 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2007 8:44 PM by 439268 Go to original post RSS
      • 30. Re: Oracle 10g DB on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
        Looking to run Oracle 9i on Tiger, worked great under 10.3.9.

Tiger's Kernel changes broke Oracle.

dyld: Symbol not found: kumainglobals
        Referenced from: /g_opt/oracle/lib/libcommon9.dylib
        Expected in: flat namespace

Anyone have a relink script to try?

-Thx
        • 31. Re: Oracle 10g DB on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
          Forgive me, but I've not yet built anything in the Unix environment. Is this an issue with the GCC version, or a missing library, or both? I'm a bit confused. Okay, in over my head and a lot confused.

If its GCC it seems you could attempt to build Oracle multiple times with each previous version of GCC until it works, couldn't you?
          • 32. Re: Oracle 10g DB on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
            Oracle 9i for os x released by oracle appears to be a "binary" release - you basically ungzip/untar and copy
            oracle home into place.

I've tried recompiling/relinking by:

$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib> make -f ins_rdbms.mk install
            /usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lvsn9
            collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
            make: *** [usr/local/oracle/orahome/rdbms/lib/oracle] Error 1

$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib/env_rdbms.mk also includes a reference to a non-existent file:

ORACLE_LINKLINE=./pre_orclexe.sh; ...

Anyone have any ideas???
            • 33. Re: Oracle 10g DB on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
              Answer from Apple for my example:

Please know that when linking two-levels, it no longer searches indirect libraries or check undefines in dependent libraries. What is happening is now correct behavior for the Tiger ld. The workarounds are:
              1) link the main executable with -flat_namespace
              2) link the main executable with -all_load (this may be overkill because it will pull in all .a modules)
              3) add and explicit reference to testa in testsh.c
              4) re-architect your code to remove the upward dependency. The use of -undefined suppress in the link of libsh.dylib is hint that there is problem being masked.

But it does not help for installing Oracle on Tiger directly ...
              • 34. Re: Oracle 10g DB on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
                Golly, do you suppose Apple should bother communicating this to Oracle?

You would think that since Apple still maintains some delusional hope of being a player in the real world they would take some extra pain to ensure that they support an application as critical in the business world as Oracle. I don't think they ever looked at it.

I guess some things never change, and Apple's egotism is on of them.
                • 35. Re: Oracle 10g DB on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
                  Hi
                  we have successfully install an oracle 10g distribution (entreprise) on mac os x 10.4
                  after the installation we have the error :
                  dyld: Symbol not found: SSLALG_CLIENT_AUTH_MODE_RSA_SIGN_CLIENTSIDE_BS
                  Referenced from: /opt/app/oracle/product/10.1.0/db_1/lib/libnnz10.dylib
                  Expected in: flat namespace
                  that's the things we do:
                  mv libnnz10.dylib libnnz10.dylib.ori
                  relink all
                  mv libnnz10.dylib.ori libnnz10.dylib
                  that's all
                  after that everything is ok

(before installation, we also execute the command sudo gcc_select 3.3, but i don't think it's necessary)

some things are to be noted :
                  before relink
                  the command "otool -L sqlplus" give
                  sqlplus:
                  /opt/app/oracle/product/10.1.0/db_1/lib/libsqlplus.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
                  /opt/app/oracle/product/10.1.0/db_1/lib/libclntsh.dylib.10.1 (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
                  /opt/app/oracle/product/10.1.0/db_1/lib/libnnz10.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
                  /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 88.0.0)
                  after relink
                  sqlplus:
                  /opt/app/oracle/product/10.1.0/db_1/lib/libsqlplus.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
                  /opt/app/oracle/product/10.1.0/db_1/lib/libclntsh.dylib.10.1 (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
                  /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 88.0.0)

but libnzz10.dylib is always needed after relink

i don't know anything about the apple's gcc, so maybe someone can explain that ?

JR
                  • 36. Re: Oracle 10g DB on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
                    Outstanding! It works like a charm. Thanks very much for the help!
                    • 37. Re: Oracle 10g DB on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
                      It all sounded so promising, but sadly it didn't work :-(
                      I followed the steps for relinking (moving libnnz10.dylib to the side and then back again afterwards) but I still can't start up the database. Here's the error I got:

% dbstart
                      ps: illegal option -- f
                      usage: ps [-aACcehjlmMrSTuvwx] [-O|o fmt] [-p pid] [-t tty] [-U user]
                      ps [-L]
                      dyld: Library not loaded: /Users/oracle/10g/lib/libclntsh.dylib.10.1
                      Referenced from: /Users/oracle/10g/lib/libsqlplus.dylib
                      Reason: image not found
                      /Users/oracle/10g/bin/dbstart: line 151: 1690 Trace/BPT trap (core dumped) $SQLDBA <<EOF
                      connect / as sysdba
                      startup
                      EOF

The library in question (libsqlplus.dylib) DOES exist and is 744612 bytes long. (although it wasn't updated by the relink all command!)

By the way: dbstart & dbshut were delivered with a comment on the first line:

#pragma GCC set_debug_pwd "/Volumes/project/macosx/10.1/040729/buildtools"

Since I use tcsh it tried to use tcsh to run the script - which didn't work at all. Deleting the first line of these scripts let them run, but a: I still get the errors mentioned above and b: should this kind of hacking really be necessary with "professional" software like this?

I'm also not entirely sure that I've downloaded the right distribution. The 9i distribution was "for jaguar". The 10g version is for "Mac OS X Server" - which of course I don't have on my powerbook. Or am I missing something? I couldn't find anything else for OS-X. Actually, 9iR2 would be better for me since that's the platform I'm developing for, but at the moment I'd be happy with any working oracle db that I can work on)

Thanks in advance,

Steve
                      • 38. Re: Oracle 10g DB on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
                        The 10g installer never checks for X Server, so it installed just fine under Panther. There was an issue with dynamic IPs, which are often the case on straight OS X boxes, but that is easily overcome.
                        • 39. Re: Oracle 10g DB on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
                          Wahoo. It worked for me too. Now I'm back pretty much to where I was. Thanks!
                          • 40. Re: Oracle 10g DB on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
                            Actually, can someone explain, using small words ;-), what happened here? I don't have much experience in C or any of its variants so I'm a bit surprised that you could move a library before linking, have everything link up, and move the library back and have all work.
                            • 41. Re: Oracle 10g DB on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
                              Programs linked on OS X 10.3.x running on Mac OS X 10.4. Linking it in the same way on Mac OS X 10.4 it is unable to run!

BTW: *LOL* ... On ''http://www.apple.com/macosx/applications/"
                              Oracle is very excited about the release of Mac OS X version 10.4 “Tiger” as it expands the ability of customers to run 64 bit applications on top of Oracle Database 10g. Apple’s continued innovation, combined with Oracle database and development tools, creates a solid and robust technology platform for developing and deploying enterprise applications.”

Sanjay Sadhu, senior director, Alliances & Channels, Oracle Corporation
                              • 42. Re: Oracle 10g DB on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
                                Cool! 10g works well after moving the library and relink as Jean-Rene Rouet mentioned.
                                Thanks very much.
                                • 43. Re: Oracle 10g DB on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
                                  Hello,
                                  Has anyone tried the relink with 9i developer edition?
                                  I'm trying
                                  make -f ins_rdbms.mk install

and I'm getting
                                  /bin/sh: line 1: ./pre_orclexe.sh: No such file or directory
                                  ld: can't locate file for: -lcrt1.o
                                  make: *** [Users/oracle/oracle/9iR2/rdbms/lib/oracle] Error 1.

Thanks
                                  • 44. Re: Oracle 10g DB on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
                                    Several people reported success in getting 10g to run under Tiger after moving a lib and relink. This is good news, but it sounds like we have a solution to this problem. Can someone tell me (may be step-by-step) on getting this to work? In particular which makefile and target to invoke 'make' command with also which GCC to use. BTW, I have tried to run (using GCC4) '% cd $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib; make -f ins_rdbms.mk install' and got a bunch 'no symbols' error from libserver10.a and an error on libagtsh.dylib. Can someone provide me a step-by-step instruction? Thanks. Thomas.
                                    1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next