This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2011 9:36 AM by 865220 RSS

Your thoughts on a Flex MXML like type of Application/Node definition file

866389 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hey guys,

We all love Java code but in my opinion building GUIs using code only, is a hard task. A hard task to build, a hard task to read and a hard task to maintain.

Currently I am working with Flex 4.x and it feels like defining components in declarative way seems to make things easier/faster for the programmer. Take also for example JSF. I love the way I build pages using JSF with XML and using the expression language and everything. I also believe that it would also be easier to create an application/node designer easier in this way. Another thing to consider would be states which were available in the Netbeans JavaFX designer.

I know it's early to expect something like this from Oracle but I really believe that it would also help Flex developers to switch to JavaFX easier. If I am not mistaken Silverlight also uses XML.

I see it implemented in a similar manner as the JSP XML syntax compilers are implemented. XML -> Java Source File -> Java bytecode.

If Oracle is considering something like this which would also be open source I would certainly participate or if you feel like starting an open source project somewhere sometime (soon) let me know.

FXML? It sound good!

Thank you in advanced guys!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points