1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Feb 15, 2012 5:50 AM by Penky RSS

Keyboard input delayed in Siebel application // letters lost while typing

Penky
      Hi all,

We have a strange problem on a client computer. While working with Siebel, keyboard input is extremely delayed. When typing a word or a phrase, it takes some seconds to appear in the corresponding field, and also some chars are just lost if one is typing too fast. This does only happen in Siebel - all other applications are OK.
      I have seen this already some months ago, but don't remember the cause.
      Web Client 7.8.2.14 QF0E76
      Win XP SP3 IE8

Did anyone ever experience this? Might be some specific driver issue or IE security update or whatever?

Thanks
      Benny
        • 1. Re: Keyboard input delayed in Siebel application // letters lost while typing
          Wsiebel-Oracle
          Benny,

Check the browser settings and compare them with the settings available in Doc ID 1066053.1 on support.oracle.com . Specifically make sure Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks is disabled under Internet Explorer> Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Security section.

Also check if cleaning browser temporary files and objects makes any difference:

Internet Explorer> Tools > Internet Options > General tab > Delete button
          Internet Explorer> Tools > Internet Options > General tab > Settings button under Browsing >View objects > delete all Siebel* objects
          Restart browser and check if web client is better

Hope it helps,

Wilson
          • 2. Re: Keyboard input delayed in Siebel application // letters lost while typing
            Penky
            Thanks Wilson for your input, unfortunately resetting browser settings and stuff like this does not help.

In the meantime I have done more research on this and found something interesting. The dropped characters / missing keystrokes do only appear when typing in Siebel popup applets. We do NEVER lose any keystroke when typing in a normal form or list applet. I have run a little test with a vanilla SRF file and a VBS Script.

I placed a VBS file on my desktop which will use SendKeys to simulate typing the word "Siebel" several times.

The source code of the VBS file is:

>
            Option Explicit
            Dim WshShell, c
            Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

c=0

WScript.Sleep 5000

Do While c < 5
            WshShell.SendKeys "S"
            WScript.Sleep 70
            WshShell.SendKeys "i"
            WScript.Sleep 40
            WshShell.SendKeys "e"
            WScript.Sleep 30
            WshShell.SendKeys "b"
            WScript.Sleep 90
            WshShell.SendKeys "e"
            WScript.Sleep 120
            WshShell.SendKeys "l"
            WScript.Sleep 70
            WshShell.SendKeys " "
            WScript.Sleep 90

c = c + 1
            Loop

WScript.Quit
            when I click this script I have 5 seconds to switch to Siebel and point the cursor into a text field.

-> When this text field is on a form applet, it correctly writes "Siebel Siebel Siebel Siebel Siebel"
            -> When this field is on a MVG applet, it sometimes drops keystrokes like "Siebel Siel iebel Siebel Sibel"

what the hell could be the problem ??????

Could someone try this in another environment??

We are on 7.8.2.14 QF0E76 ...
            • 3. Re: Keyboard input delayed in Siebel application // letters lost while typing
              We have had this problem for over a year now as well. However, it only happens on Dell laptops and not desktops with an external keyboard connected to it. It looks like we are on version 8 of Siebel according to the about screen. We have tried different laptops, reimaging the equipment several times and replacing parts within the laptop as well as several types of keyboards and are still having the issue. The issue happens in IE 7 & 8, but not in IE 6. Windows XP is the OS w/ SP3. We have several people that are having this issue with various different model of Dell laptops w/ various different external keyboards. The problem only happens in the Siebel pop-up applets and no other place in Siebel and does not happen in any other IE type application or websites.

What type of equipment is your client using? Also, have you tried downgrading the browser to IE 6 or 7 to see if the problem still happens?
              • 4. Re: Keyboard input delayed in Siebel application // letters lost while typing
                Penky
                Hi!
                I'm glad you posted here. I found a Service Request on MyOracleSupport describing exactly our problem, but it was mentioned that "it only happens on DELL Laptops" and that it therefore needs to be a hardware issue and was out of scope of technical support. I guess it was your SR?
                I asked Oracle to get in touch with the customer of this SR, since we have the same problem (but on IBM desktops!) but it was not possible to receive customer's contact data.
                I'm almost sure it is not hardware related. In our case it is exactly as you described:

* It happens only on IE8
                * It does definately NOT happen on IE6 (tested on same machine)
                * It does only happen in Siebel popup applets, not in normal form or list applets

I guess it might some driver or other piece of software interferring with IE8.

Did you try to reproduce it with my script posted above?

Edit:
                The machines we are having issues with is IBM Thinkcentre M-Series Desktops running XP SP3.

Benny

Edited by: Penky on Jul 28, 2011 9:16 AM
                • 5. Re: Keyboard input delayed in Siebel application // letters lost while typing
                  Wsiebel-Oracle
                  Benny,

Not sure if it is the same SR, but I have found 1336081.1 on my oracle support indicating this problem also occurs with IBM Desktops.

I may be wrong but it does not seem to be a hardware problem. There is also this posting from Microsoft, but it is Vista related:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_other/ie7ie8-missing-keystrokes-within-ie/bfcd5c14-35f2-49ff-8e5a-4a96ae52941d?tab=AllReplies#tabs

It can be helpful if you can engage Microsoft and/or Dell/IBM regarding this, so they can work together with Oracle support towards a resolution.

Thanks,

Wilson
                  • 6. Re: Keyboard input delayed in Siebel application // letters lost while typing
                    Penky
                    Hi Wilson

thanks for your reply.
                    Unfortunately the procedure described in this document from MS does not fix the issue. Even with all system services set to disabled, the problem still occurs.
                    In the meatime I was able to reproduce it in 8.1.1.5 so it seems to be not fixed in any Siebel version.
                    Honestly I don't even believe it's a Siebel issue, I believe it's a more general IE thing, but I have no clue what it could be related to.
                    • 7. Re: Keyboard input delayed in Siebel application // letters lost while typing
                      Wsiebel-Oracle
                      Benny,

In this I would suggest you to engage Microsoft.

Thanks,

Wilson
                      • 8. Re: Keyboard input delayed in Siebel application // letters lost while typing
                        user3022142
                        Dear Penky,

We also have the exact same issue as is described in this post. Keystrokes are eaten sometimes only in Siebel pop-ups. It is random.
                        Did you find the solutions in the end ?

Best regards.
                        • 9. Re: Keyboard input delayed in Siebel application // letters lost while typing
                          Penky
                          Hi user3022142

no solution yet. Honestly I have currently stopped looking for a solution since it's very time consuming and I have no idea what could be the cause.
                          Please log a SR at ORACLE and reference our SR 3-4018988571 as well as another company's SR which was published as DOC ID 1336081.1

Let me know in case you found something.

Benny
                          • 10. Re: Keyboard input delayed in Siebel application // letters lost while typing
                            Helllo Benny,

I too have an SR 3-4813475997 where the customer is facing the same issue, I wonder if we should take it up with the PM and engage Microsoft/IBM Tech/Dev support.
                            I tested the issue on 7.8.2.16 FP with the way my customer explained ie using an external key board but could not reproduce the issue.

Customer updated my SR as follows

One common factor we've seen with the keyboard sticking issue. All the computers affected are quad core computers (either i5 or i7 pc's). We've started seeing this as well with desktops. It is only happening on siebel. Could you check if this is still happening on the 7.8.2.16 version? It's still the same behavior, typing in a mvg or pick applet for queries, etc.

FYI

Thanks

Anand
                            • 11. Re: Keyboard input delayed in Siebel application // letters lost while typing
                              Penky
                              Hi Anand!

sorry for replying late, I just saw your message in this thread. I did not test it on 7.8.2.16, but I tested it on 7.8.2.14 and also 8.1.1.5 - issue was the same. Since it also appears on 8.1.1.5, I doubt it has something to do with the Siebel version at all. It is morely related to the way Internet Explorer handles pop-ups (since it only appears in pop-ups).

In our scenario it does not happen on all computers, but only on certain machines (IBM). This is why you most likely are not able to reproduce this in house.

I have already spent hours of testing but did not yet find a solution. It seems to appear on certain machines only. Even in windows safe mode. Even with all IE addons disabled (accept the Siebel ActiveX ones). Even with a fresh, clean Windows XP installation ... no matter which version of flash, shockwave or whatever has been installed. It is not related to the keyboard itself as replacing it makes no difference. Also, the effect is not always the same. Sometimes it looses every 2nd keystroke, while a minute later you might be able to type whole sentences without issues. CPU power is always low, no problem. And, as mentioned, it ONLY HAPPENS IN POPUPS!

There is one thing we found out so far: When using a remote software (like e.g. Dameware Remote Control), while a connection to an affected computer is made, the issue does NOT appear.
                              Oh and downgrading to IE6 does solve the problem :-)

Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Benny
                              • 12. Re: Keyboard input delayed in Siebel application // letters lost while typing
                                Penky
                                Hi Anand

what about your suggestion to "take it up with the PM and engage Microsoft/IBM Tech/Dev support."

I would really appreciate if you could do that!
                                • 13. Re: Keyboard input delayed in Siebel application // letters lost while typing
                                  Penky
                                  Hi All,

Finally it seems like this problem is solved. In the end it was a bug in Siebel.
                                  Due to "Missing Keystrokes When Typing (Doc ID 1336081.1)" Bug 13382842 was created and finally resolved.

QF is now available: 8.1.1.6 QF0604

There might be other QFs for lower codelines as well.

Reason: "The changes introduced in IE 7, combined with how the Siebel accelerator intercepts calls, are responsible for the bug."

The QF changes a few files, introducing a new Applet User Property called "DisableShortCuts". If you set this user property to "true", it will disable all shortcuts for this particular popup applet (like Ctrl+D, Ctrl+N etc) and even disable the "X" in the upper right corner. As a result of Siebel not trying to interrupt the keyboard commands, no more keystrokes are lost in popups. Hooray :-)

I have tested it myself and it seems to work.

Maybe it can help someone who is still trying to hunt down the problem (like I have down for many months).

Benny

Edited by: Penky on Jan 18, 2012 12:53 PM

Edited by: Penky on Feb 15, 2012 12:51 PM
                                  • 14. Re: Keyboard input delayed in Siebel application // letters lost while typing
                                    Hi All
                                    In my case I'm not using Sieble or any other product. A bare Windows XP with IE 8.0.6001 plus MS Office suite with Outlook and very basic stuff (Notepad++) to administer some remote servers on the network. But even with this setup keystrokes are eaten up by the browser (IE 8). The problem only happens to be in the browser and all other applications are working without any issue.
                                    Tried to clear brwser cache, find conflicts amongst applications in safe mode, disable accelerators in IE, but not gain.

Here are some basic settings for my Dell laptop

Windows XP Pro 2002 SP3
                                    IE 8.0.6001
                                    Dell Latitude
                                    with external keyboard and mouse
                                    Core i5 processor

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                                    Thanks
                                    MK
                                    1 2 Previous Next