This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 22, 2011 4:05 AM by tluefex RSS

Data Modeler Save and Save As not working

djmartin_ACC Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am using the latest SQL Developer (Version 3.0.04 Build MAIN-04.34). Within it I am trying to use the Data Modeler. In the Browser, under Designs, Untitled_1, Relational_1 I can add tables and arrange them in a diagram.

It is not possible to save it.

Going File > Data Modeler > Save I am presented with a 'Save Design' window with a 'File name' of 'file:/' and a 'File type' of 'dmd' and 'dmdz'. I have tried numerous alternatives to save my diagram. I must remove the literal 'file:/'. I have tried 'test', 'test.dmd', 'test.dmdz'. I have tried the default location of 'C:', I have tried the directory in which I wish to store the diagram. To no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I need to do to save this diagram?

David

Edited by: djmartin_ACC on 8/06/2011 19:12

Edited by: djmartin_ACC on 14/06/2011 16:12
  • 1. Re: Data Modeler Save and Save As not working
    -K- Guru
    It works for me just removing the "file:/", with/out the ".dmd" extension.
    Try filling out the Default Design and Save Directories under Preferences - Data Modeler.

Regards,
    K.
  • 2. Re: Data Modeler Save and Save As not working
    djmartin_ACC Newbie
    K,

I pointed the Default Designs Directory to a directory on my PC (C:\David's stuff) but when I press 'OK' the window does not close. I tried different directory names - C:\With space's, C:\Without_spaces, and C:\Withsmal. It doesn't matter which I use the window will not close.

When I use the same name in each of the five slots, press 'OK', then 'Cancel', and reopen the Preferences window all but Default System Types Directory contain the value I supplied. Is this other directory something special?

Once I do have data in any of the slots, the window will not close when 'OK' is pressed.

I closed and reopened SQL Developer and the four previously populated Directory slots are empty again.

I have tried this with MyEclipse running and not running without any difference in behaviour. The only other software I am running is MS Word, Firefox, and Citrix.

Any ideas will be gratefully received. I will be trying the software on my personal laptop this weekend and see what differences I find then.

David
  • 3. Re: Data Modeler Save and Save As not working
    -K- Guru
    I'd say either a permissions issue or a bad install.
    What's your OS version? Can you try running as Administrator?

K.
  • 4. Re: Data Modeler Save and Save As not working
    djmartin_ACC Newbie
    I'm running MS XP Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301_1519 Service Pack 2). I appear to have all the privileges necessary.

Where can I set the Java version so that SQL Developer is using the java which I already had on my PC?

David
  • 5. Re: Data Modeler Save and Save As not working
    djmartin_ACC Newbie
    Okay. I downloaded Java 1.6.0.25 and installed it. I then renamed the sqldeveloper 'jdk' directory to something else. I pointed SQL Developer to the new Java directory and started SQL Developer.

I can now save a Data Modeler diagram but can not set the default directories.

I can not get 'off' the Preferences > Data Modeler page unless I press 'Cancel'.

I am getting SEVERE error on the 'Logging Page' Seq:48 Elapsed:0 Source:o.ide.IdeCore Message:Exception firing mainWindowOpened to oracle.dbtools.crest.fcp.DataModelerAddin$1@1614932 (the last number changes each time I statrt SQL Developer.

David
  • 6. Re: Data Modeler Save and Save As not working
    Jim Smith Expert
    To use a different JDK add or modify SetJavaHome in <sqldeveloper>\sqldeveloper\bin\sqldeveloper.conf
  • 7. Re: Data Modeler Save and Save As not working
    djmartin_ACC Newbie
    I have solved most of this problem by leaving Subversion 'active'. I have tested this and found that if Subversion is 'off', I get the error and can not work with the Data Modeler. If Subversion is 'on', I do not get the error and can work with the Data Modeler. This means that I can open a previously created 'dmd' file and I can also set the default locations for the Data Modeler.

David
  • 8. Re: Data Modeler Save and Save As not working
    tluefex Newbie
    Thanks a million for that hint with Subversion!
    I had the exact same issue (using Windows XP with SQLDeveloper 3.0.04) and was nearly getting mad.

re-activating Subversion did the trick and it works fine now. Would never have thought of that...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points