This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2011 3:36 AM by orafad RSS

oo4o in windows 7 64

869652 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I have windows 7 64 bit and i installed Oracle client 11g 32bit - full installation.

In Excel i still get Run-time error '429': ActiveX component can't create object when i run my macro
in the project References i checked all oracle related references.

My understanding is that oo4o should still work in windows 7 with a 32 bit oracle client (unsupported of course).

Does anyone have a hint on what should i do?

thanks
  • 1. Re: oo4o in windows 7 64
    gdarling - oracle Expert
    As you've indicated, it is indeed not supported to run 32 bit oo4o on a 64 bit OS.

I tried it though, and it worked for me. I know virtually nothing about excel macros, but are you using 32 bit excel or 64 bit?

If I run put this code in a vbs file and execute it from a command prompt, it works (as expected) if I invoke it with 32 bit wscript.exe (c:\windows\syswow64\wscript.exe ) but fails (as expected) if I invoke it with 64 bit wscript (c:\windows\system32\wscript.exe)
    ' foo.vbs
     Set osess  = CreateObject("OracleInProcServer.XOraSession")
     Set odb =osess.OpenDatabase("orcl","scott/tiger",cint(0))
     Set ods = odb.CreateDynaset("select user from dual",cint(0))
     wscript.echo "hello " &  ods("user").value
    'cleanup
    Hope it helps, otherwise i got nuttin :p

Greg
  • 2. Re: oo4o in windows 7 64
    869652 Newbie
    Excel may be the problem. I'm using a 64 bit.
    I'll try with a 32 bit version.
  • 3. Re: oo4o in windows 7 64
    869652 Newbie
    Just confirmed, Excel 64 is the problem.

oo4o is working with Excel 32 on Windows 7 64.
  • 4. Re: oo4o in windows 7 64
    orafad Oracle ACE
    gdarling wrote:
    As you've indicated, it is indeed not supported to run 32 bit oo4o on a 64 bit OS.
    A bit late in the game, but I cannot find that exception documented.

In the requirements section of 11.2 for Windows platform docs, it is stated that 32-bit Client is certified on Windows x64 (with no exceptions, as compared to earlier release).
    http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e16774/pre_install.htm#BHCGEBHG

The 11.2 Release Notes, Unsupported products says "Oracle Objects for OLE - Not supported on Windows x64. ". But I assume (it being somewhat unclear and) it's trying to say that x64 version of Oracle software does not contain OO4O component.

I thought the 'no support' was related to that a 64-bit OO4O does not exist (and the limited certification for 32-bit components that was in 11.1). Maybe there's some other document that would provide clarification.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points