2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 20, 2011 3:04 AM by jerrywu RSS

how to display item (value contain html tag)

jerrywu
      I create a item (item type=HTML Editor Standard) , input text (set font size and color) and save to table column (data type=varchar2(4000)).
      The column value like as follows:

<h1><font color="#ff0000">This is a TEST</font></h1>
      or
      <font color="#ff0000" size="5">This is a TEST</font>

When I create a report region to show the column value , the font color is correct , but font size does not work.
      I tried to select the value into Item(Item type=Display as Text (does not save state)) and got the same result. Font color works but font size not.
      Any ideas about this?

- Full APEX version ==> Application Express 3.1.1.00.09
      - Web server architecture (EPG, OHS or APEX listener) ==> OHS
      - Browser(s)/version(s) used ==> IE8
      - Theme used ==> Simple Theme
      - Templates used ==> page Template: No Tabs
      - Region/Report type ==> Reports Region/SQL Query

Edited by: jerrywu on Jun 20, 2011 3:54 PM
        • 1. Re: how to display item (value contain html tag)
          fac586
          The <tt>font</tt> element has been deprecated in HTML 4 and XHTML for *12 years*, and does not exist in HTML5. In APEX the presentational aspects of an application are controlled using a combination of (X)HTML and CSS via themes and templates. You're advised to become familiar with these to make best use of APEX.

It's next to impossible to make any recommendation about controlling UI and visual appearance in the absence of information about the themes and templates in use. When asking such questions, it's always necessary to include:

- Full APEX version
          - Web server architecture (EPG, OHS or APEX listener)
          - Browser(s)/version(s) used
          - Theme used
          - Templates used
          - Region/Report type

Font size issues are usually due to the long standing problem of the use of the universal selector in APEX theme CSS. For a one-off adjustment to a region title, you could try an inline <tt>style</tt> wrapped round the text using the <tt>font-size</tt> CSS property:
          <h1 style="font-size: x-large;">Region Title</h1>
          If this <tt>font</tt> nonsense is coming from the HTML Editor Standard component then I'd dump it and find a standards-compliant replacement.
          • 2. Re: how to display item (value contain html tag)
            jerrywu
            Thanks for Reply...

- Full APEX version ==> Application Express 3.1.1.00.09
            - Web server architecture (EPG, OHS or APEX listener) ==> OHS
            - Browser(s)/version(s) used ==> IE8
            - Theme used ==> Simple Theme
            - Templates used ==> page Template: No Tabs
            - Region/Report type ==> Reports Region/SQL Query

These column values are inputed by client user using HTML Editor. So I think these input are meaningful... I just wonder why I can use the HTML Editor to input text and set the font size, why there is no easy way to show the formated text as client user input...

Edited by: jerrywu on Jun 20, 2011 4:00 PM