1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 22, 2011 6:53 AM by jplogut-Oracle RSS

Migrating Access 2003 DB to Oracle

Hi.

I’m trying to migrate an Access 2003 (*.mdb) database to Oracle using this tutorial http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/tutorials/obe/db/hol08/sqldev_migration/msaccess/migrate_microsoft_access_otn.htm , but i’m experiencing some problems.

I’ve installed the Oracle Database XE and SqlDeveloper 3.0 without problems.
      In SqlDeveloper, i’ve succeeded in making the connections and users and making an XML export, but when I get to the pint of “Capturing the Microsoft Access Exported XML” I get into problems. The ‘Migration’ point in the menu is simply missing.
      I’ve have searched a bit to check out if I was fx missing an add-in but it seems not to be the issue.
      Can someone tell me how get the Migration point in the menu?

Instead I’ve tried the Tools – Migration – Migrate Wizard and it seems to work, when I choose the Offline method. But I would like it to work as described in the tutorial. What am I doing wrong?
        • 1. Re: Migrating Access 2003 DB to Oracle
          jplogut-Oracle
          Hello,
          The version 3 of SQL Dev introduces a new method to migrate from access :

1. Create a new connection to this Access Database
          2. Right-click on the connection name and choose "Copy to Oracle".

You will have then to choose where this database must be copied and if you want to include the data or not.

Please have a try and keep me informed of the result.

Cheers,
          Jean-Patrick