1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 22, 2011 7:08 AM by jplogut-Oracle RSS

Sybase Migration from 11.9.2 to Oracle 11g R2

user306507
      Hi

Trying to evaluate a migration from Sybase to Oracle 11g using the SQL Developer workbench.
      We're embarking on a data conversion for an implementation, so we are doing the platform migration first to facilitate this process being the target is on Oracle.

It's a basic early version of PeopleSoft 7 on Sybase database , so the way it's used, it's just basic tables and indexes. No stored procs, functions or any proprietory Sybase stuff etc.

1. I found the documentation for SQL developer from Oracle 11g says only Sybase 12 and 15 can be migrated. Can the workbench be still be used since its just a very basic Syb DB?

2. I'm trying to setup the connectivity. Is the jtds driver (3rd party) the only driver needed ? Is the Sybase Adaptive Client needed ?

3. I have downloaded and put in the jtds driver 1.2.5 and attempted to setup the connection to the Sybase DB.
      Was only given the host and port <server1>:<6100> and a Sybase DB account

4. What minimal privileges are needed for the account to allow this migration. When testing connectivity with this account, I'm getting an error "Network Error IOException: Connection refused: connect".

5. I have not gone that far yet, but can the migration be done only for just 1 schema (being a Psoft DB) rather than for the whole DB?

Thanks

Edited by: 867170 on Jun 20, 2011 7:20 PM
        • 1. Re: Sybase Migration from 11.9.2 to Oracle 11g R2
          jplogut-Oracle
          Hello,
          I'll try to answer to your questions :

1. I found the documentation for SQL developer from Oracle 11g says only Sybase 12 and 15 can be migrated. Can the workbench be still be used since its just a very basic Syb DB?
          The problem here is not the complexity of the Database, but the compatibily with the Data Dictionary to retrieve all the data. Please have a try, and if the source model denerated is okay with you needs, that will be fine.
          2. I'm trying to setup the connectivity. Is the jtds driver (3rd party) the only driver needed ? Is the Sybase Adaptive Client needed ?
          yes, jtds is sufficient. You do not need the full Sybase Adaptive Client.
          3 and 4. I have downloaded and put in the jtds driver 1.2.5 and attempted to setup the connection to the Sybase DB.
          Was only given the host and port <server1>:<6100> and a Sybase DB account
          What minimal privileges are needed for the account to allow this migration. When testing connectivity with this account, I'm getting an error "Network Error IOException: Connection refused: connect".
          Obviously, the user must be able to connect to the Sybase Database. However, to migrate, it is recommended to use a Sybase user like "sa". This user must be able to discover all of the object that reside in the Database.
          5. I have not gone that far yet, but can the migration be done only for just 1 schema (being a Psoft DB) rather than for the whole DB?
          Yes it can. you have the choice of the granularity of the objects you want to Migrate.
          Cheers,
          Jean-Patrick