4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2009 12:53 AM by 742727 RSS

IceBrowser null pointer exceptions in OHJ

Greetings,

I posted a question about this issue previously, but could not find my posting, so starting a new topic.

Off and on, our users have seen this null pointer exception:

java.lang.NullPointerException
           at ice.pilots.html4.ThePilot.sendBodyLoadEvent(Unknown Source)
           at ice.pilots.html4.DDocument.notifyLayoutEnd(Unknown Source)
           at ice.pilots.html4.CSSLayout.do_layout(Unknown Source)
           at ice.pilots.html4.CSSLayout.layout(Unknown Source)
           at ice.pilots.html4.DocPaneXml.docLayout(Unknown Source)
           at ice.pilots.html4.swing.DocPanel.reflowImpl(Unknown Source)
           at ice.pilots.html4.swing.DocPanel.doLayout(Unknown Source)
           at java.awt.Container.validateTree(Unknown Source)
           at java.awt.Container.validate(Unknown Source)
           at ice.storm.Viewport$1.run(Unknown Source)
           at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
           at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
           at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
           at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
           at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
           at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

This is an intermittent problem, not always reproduceable. This occurs when OHJ is initialized with our helpset and then showTopic() is called to display a topic. All subsequent calls to showTopic() work correctly, it's just the first one that has this error.

Is there any way to fix this? It prevents help from working the first time it is accessed.

thanks,

Elizabeth Dyer.
        • 1. Re: IceBrowser null pointer exceptions in OHJ

Hi Elizabeth,

I do remember exchanging e-mail with you about this exception last year.

As I remember some of the variables were
          dockedByDefault was true and the help
          content served over http. If I remember
          correctly, you sent us a testcase, but
          we weren't able to reproduce it.

The last e-mail I have on the subject
          indicates that you stopped seeing the
          exception after an unrelated overhaul
          of your help content.

Given this post, I guess it is back!
          We haven't had this reported by other
          customers, but we can take another shot
          at reproducing it. Theoretically,
          I could add some defensive null checking
          code even if we can't reproduce it, but
          I would like to understand why the
          ICE Browser document is null (since it
          shouldn't be at this point).

If you have any updates to the original
          test case you sent, then please pass them
          along to me in e-mail.

Jeffrey Stephenson
          Oracle
          • 2. Re: IceBrowser null pointer exceptions in OHJ
            Also, if any other customer reading this forum has seen this exception before, please let us know by posting a message to this thread.

Thanks,

- Jeff
            • 3. Re: IceBrowser null pointer exceptions in OHJ
              Jeff,

At the time, we did rework some of our helpset content, and I could no longer reproduce the defect. I still can't reproduce it on my personal workstation, but off and on, I get reports from our system testers who see this error. Unfortunately, I don't have currently have a machine that reliably reproduces this. I don't think it's our help content per se, we run our software with the same helpsets on many machines (Unix & Windows) and only a few have seen this error.

If you could add the extra error checking, I think that would be the best way to fix this.

Elizabeth.
              • 4. Re: IceBrowser null pointer exceptions in OHJ
                My product has the same problem here.
                It did work well before, but during the latest system test on HP-UX and Solaris platform, when we launching the help content, it keeps throwing following exceptions including the same NullPointerException and call stack that mentioned in this topic.
                After reboot the Unix boxes, it would back to normal for a while and then break again.

java.io.EOFException: no more data available
                     at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.fillBuf(MXParser.java:2968)
                     at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.more(MXParser.java:2975)
                     at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.parseProlog(MXParser.java:1433)
                     at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.nextImpl(MXParser.java:1418)
                     at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.next(MXParser.java:1137)
                     at oracle.help.common.xml.HelpXmlPullParser._processDocument(Unknown Source)
                     at oracle.help.common.xml.HelpXmlPullParser.<init>(Unknown Source)
                     at oracle.help.common.xml.ParserFactory.createParser(Unknown Source)
                     at oracle.help.engine.XMLTOCEngine.createDataObject(Unknown Source)
                     at oracle.help.common.View.getViewData(Unknown Source)
                     at oracle.help.common.navigator.tocNavigator.TOCUtils.getTopicTree(Unknown Source)
                     at oracle.help.common.navigator.tocNavigator.MergingTopicTreeNode._createTopicTreeNodes(Unknown Source)
                     at oracle.help.common.navigator.tocNavigator.MergingTopicTreeNode._reallyAddView(Unknown Source)
                     at oracle.help.common.navigator.tocNavigator.MergingTopicTreeNode.addView(Unknown Source)
                     at oracle.help.navigator.tocNavigator.TOCNavigator.addView(Unknown Source)
                     at oracle.help.Help._createNavigatorForView(Unknown Source)
                     at oracle.help.Help._createNavigatorsForBook(Unknown Source)
                     at oracle.help.Help.addBook(Unknown Source)
                     at oracle.help.CSHManager.addBook(Unknown Source)
                     at com.hp.ov.ui.client.app.manager.OVHelpManager.addBook(Unknown Source)
                     at com.hp.ov.ui.client.app.manager.OVHelpManager.initializeOHJ(Unknown Source)
                     at com.hp.ov.ui.client.app.manager.OVHelpManager.showTopic(Unknown Source)
                     at com.hp.ov.ui.client.app.commandbar.command.HelpMenu$HelpCommand.executeCommand(Unknown Source)
                     at com.hp.ov.ui.util.commandbar.command.AbstractCommand$2.run(Unknown Source)
                     at com.hp.ov.ui.swing.WaitRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
                     at com.hp.ov.ui.util.commandbar.command.AbstractCommand$1.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
                     at javax.swing.Timer.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
                     at javax.swing.Timer$DoPostEvent.run(Unknown Source)
                     at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
                     at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
                View passed to RootItemModel does not contain data in TopicTree format.

oracle.help.common.xml.XMLParseException: No toplevel tag
                     at oracle.help.engine.XMLTOCEngine._handleToc(Unknown Source)
                     at oracle.help.common.View.getViewData(Unknown Source)
                     at oracle.help.common.navigator.tocNavigator.TOCUtils.getTopicTree(Unknown Source)
                     at oracle.help.common.navigator.tocNavigator.MergingTopicTreeNode._createTopicTreeNodes(Unknown Source)
                     at oracle.help.common.navigator.tocNavigator.MergingTopicTreeNode._reallyAddView(Unknown Source)
                     at oracle.help.common.navigator.tocNavigator.MergingTopicTreeNode.addView(Unknown Source)
                     at oracle.help.navigator.tocNavigator.TOCNavigator.addView(Unknown Source)
                     at oracle.help.Help._createNavigatorForView(Unknown Source)
                     at oracle.help.Help._createNavigatorsForBook(Unknown Source)
                     at oracle.help.Help.addBook(Unknown Source)
                     at oracle.help.CSHManager.addBook(Unknown Source)
                     at com.hp.ov.ui.client.app.manager.OVHelpManager.addBook(Unknown Source)
                     at com.hp.ov.ui.client.app.manager.OVHelpManager.initializeOHJ(Unknown Source)
                     at com.hp.ov.ui.client.app.commandbar.command.HelpMenu$HelpCommand.executeCommand(Unknown Source)
                     at com.hp.ov.ui.util.commandbar.command.AbstractCommand$2.run(Unknown Source)
                     at com.hp.ov.ui.swing.WaitRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
                     at com.hp.ov.ui.util.commandbar.command.AbstractCommand$1.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
                     at javax.swing.Timer.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
                     at javax.swing.Timer$DoPostEvent.run(Unknown Source)

*     at ice.pilots.html4.ThePilot.sendBodyLoadEvent(Unknown Source)*
                     at ice.pilots.html4.DDocument.notifyLayoutEnd(Unknown Source)
                     at ice.pilots.html4.CSSLayout.do_layout(Unknown Source)
                     at ice.pilots.html4.CSSLayout.layout(Unknown Source)
                     at ice.pilots.html4.DocPaneXml.docLayout(Unknown Source)
                     at ice.pilots.html4.swing.DocPanel.reflowImpl(Unknown Source)
                     at ice.pilots.html4.swing.DocPanel.doLayout(Unknown Source)
                     at java.awt.Container.validate(Unknown Source)
                     at ice.storm.Viewport$1.run(Unknown Source)

at ice.pilots.html4.DocPaneXml.bind(Unknown Source)
                     at ice.pilots.html4.ThePilot.createComponent(Unknown Source)
                     at ice.storm.Viewport.setPilot(Unknown Source)
                     at ice.storm.StormBase.do_clear_content(Unknown Source)
                     at ice.storm.StormBase.do_render_content(Unknown Source)
                     at ice.storm.DefaultPilotContext.run(Unknown Source)
                     at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Edited by: user10196596 on Dec 22, 2009 10:52 PM

Edited by: ray_town on Dec 22, 2009 10:52 PM