This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2013 11:38 AM by Tori Wieldt RSS

What's up with the Java Bug Database, located at bugs.sun.com?

833290 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi!

For 2 days now I keep getting a very uninformative maintenance message when trying to use the Java Bug Database, located at http://bugs.sun.com. Has the bug tracker been shut down for good, or will it be available again in future? What is meant by "shortly"? On Jan. 24th I filed a bug, so it was still working correctly then (I hope).

Any information on this woud be appreciated.

Regards, Lars

Edited by: StitzL on 10.02.2011 02:34 - Fixed spelling error.
  • 1. Re: What's up with the Java Bug Database, located at bugs.sun.com?
    838647 Newbie
    yeah, it is getting annoying now. I have been trying for days. 'Shortly' in java world should be 'seconds', not days.
  • 2. Re: What's up with the Java Bug Database, located at bugs.sun.com?
    838671 Newbie
    I'm also unable to access the bugs database.
    And I notice that many of the forum web pages respond very slowly.
    I would have expected much better performance and availability from a company which specializes in database technology.
  • 3. Re: What's up with the Java Bug Database, located at bugs.sun.com?
    833290 Newbie
    So, finally the maintenance message has disappeared. However, this does not solve my problem, since when I try to log in, I get the following:
    http://bugs.sun.com/authenticate.do produces:Network Error (tcp_error)
    A communication error occurred: ""
    The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time.

For assistance, contact your network support team.
  • 4. Re: What's up with the Java Bug Database, located at bugs.sun.com?
    jduprez Pro
    So, finally the maintenance message has disappeared. However, this does not solve my problem, since when I try to log in, I get the following [error]
    Just out of curiosity: why do you want to log in?
    IIRC, there was no "watch bug" functionality, the closest to that was the "bug votes", which I actually used as a watch list, limited to (sigh) 3 entries.

As far as the voting itself go:
    - there is no proof that Sun actually took them into account (fixing the most-wanted bugs/RFEs first), but let's give them the benefit of the doubt.
    - there is no indication that Oracle plans to take them into account in the future. The official "RFE voting" system has been the JCP, for what it's worth, and already for long before Oracle bought Sun.

Please also note that it had been noticed (This was discussed on the Sun forums, before the Oracle acquisition I believe, but I'm less sure) that the bug database had become extremely sloooooow lately, specifically when you were logged in.
    That's one less reason to log-in :o)
  • 5. Re: What's up with the Java Bug Database, located at bugs.sun.com?
    833290 Newbie
    Two months later, and I still cannot log on to bugs.sun.com.

The same problems persist: After I submit the login credentials, my browser and I wait until the connection times out as the server does not reply. Is anybody else able to use the Java bug tracker in logged-in mode at all? Or is it just that everybody else doesn't care? I am wondering especially after reading the answer of jduprez and seeing this poll on java.net: http://home.java.net/poll/how-would-you-rate-responsiveness-and-ease-use-bugssuncom-website

How do you comment on bugs you submitted, for instance?

Edited by: StitzL on 24.03.2011 02:39

Okay, so links don't seem to work in the forums as well?
  • 6. Re: What's up with the Java Bug Database, located at bugs.sun.com?
    jgarry Guru
    Okay, so links don't seem to work in the forums as well?
    Yah, you have to use the url tags described in the faq. Too much linkspam, but I guess they expect to fix it eventually so the button is still there.
  • 7. Re: What's up with the Java Bug Database, located at bugs.sun.com?
    871304 Newbie
    And another month down the line, it still seem as described above. I've not used the bug db for a couple years (or since it became Oracle), and just recall that it worked fine when I did use it before. This is the only spot on the net I could find anything at all referring to what seems to me a pretty big problem.

Like most things, now that I need it again, I really could use it. It's not just a matter of votes or watching, not to dismiss those reasons, but rather a matter of being able to post bugs at all. Unlike some of you, I'm not getting back any replies to logon attempts, other than one time I was able to get in purely by luck after 20 minutes or so, and was so surprised I didn't have what I needed to post my bugs.

So is there someone or any official place to bitch about this other than here? I do see a lot of bugs from 2011 which means someone is either waiting or just getting in, just not us.

Anyway, if anyone of you is aware of someplace to lodge complaints where it doesn't require the rest of my life to log on (an email address? or an 'official oracle spot where I've got a working logon') and complain, I'd greatly appreciate it,

Thanks --

PS: So far, I've sent a few notes to places on oracle.com and only received back those token "you should try these 800 things, or go to blah.oracle.com' messages, but nothing of use. I'm not sure why my 'username' is a number, but its certainly not important.
  • 8. Re: What's up with the Java Bug Database, located at bugs.sun.com?
    Rico Neubauer Newbie
    +1
    Takes about 3 minutes to load a bug or log-in.
  • 9. Re: What's up with the Java Bug Database, located at bugs.sun.com?
    MiPa Pro
    It's the same for me. For several months now I am trying to get in there to file a bug but I had no luck so far.
  • 10. Re: What's up with the Java Bug Database, located at bugs.sun.com?
    878588 Newbie
    Glad its not just me (takes about 5 min to load a bug report / log in /...).

Must make their stats look good - Fewer bug reports (able to be entered) == Fewer bugs 8-)
  • 11. Re: What's up with the Java Bug Database, located at bugs.sun.com?
    MiPa Pro
    According to a tracert the problem seems to be in SanJose.
    Routenverfolgung zu bugs.sun.com [192.9.162.119] über maximal 30 Abschnitte:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  fritz.box [192.168.1.32]
      2    21 ms    20 ms    20 ms  rdsl-stgt-de03.nw.mediaways.net [213.20.56.136]
      3    21 ms    20 ms    20 ms  xmwc-stgt-de02-chan-20.nw.mediaways.net [62.53.220.174]
      4    20 ms    20 ms    20 ms  rmwc-stgt-de01-gigaet-12-1-0.nw.mediaways.net [62.53.220.137]
      5    24 ms    24 ms    24 ms  rmwc-stgt-de02-pos-9-0.nw.mediaways.net [213.20.222.162]
      6    24 ms    24 ms    23 ms  rmwc-frnk-de01-so-5-3-0-0.nw.mediaways.net [195.71.254.153]
      7    24 ms    24 ms    23 ms  xmwc-frnk-de01-vlan-11.nw.mediaways.net [62.53.238.14]
      8    33 ms    33 ms    34 ms  212.162.24.9
      9    33 ms    33 ms    33 ms  vlan70.csw2.Frankfurt1.Level3.net [4.69.154.126]
     10    33 ms    33 ms    33 ms  ae-72-72.ebr2.Frankfurt1.Level3.net [4.69.140.21]
     11    36 ms    35 ms    35 ms  ae-22-22.ebr2.London1.Level3.net [4.69.148.189]
     12   112 ms   113 ms   112 ms  ae-42-42.ebr1.NewYork1.Level3.net [4.69.137.70]
     13   120 ms   110 ms   121 ms  ae-81-81.csw3.NewYork1.Level3.net [4.69.134.74]
     14   110 ms   110 ms   110 ms  ae-82-82.ebr2.NewYork1.Level3.net [4.69.148.41]
     15   176 ms   176 ms   175 ms  ae-2-2.ebr4.SanJose1.Level3.net [4.69.135.185]
     16   176 ms   175 ms   176 ms  ae-91-91.csw4.SanJose1.Level3.net [4.69.153.14]
     17   173 ms   173 ms   173 ms  ae-41-90.car1.SanJose1.Level3.net [4.69.152.195]
     18     *        *        *     Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.
     19   181 ms   180 ms   180 ms  192.18.44.18
     20     *        *        *     Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.
     21     *        *        *     Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.
     22     *        *        *     Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.
     23     *        *        *     Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.
     24     *        *        *     Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.
     25  ^C
  • 12. Re: What's up with the Java Bug Database, located at bugs.sun.com?
    890905 Newbie
    I haven't been able to get into bug.sun.com for 4+ days now. Last week it would work as long as I was a guest, then hang once I was logged in. I tried two different accounts. And the forums were down too. Today, I can't get to bugs.sun.com at all. At least the forums are up today. openjdk has a bug database that is up but it says any issues you log will be closed during the transition period, so I don't think that will work to get an issue looked at. Not that Sun's track record has ever been very good for fixing JVM issues, at least you could log them and they would sometimes get fixed 7 years later.
  • 13. Re: What's up with the Java Bug Database, located at bugs.sun.com?
    schlm3 Newbie
    Same here. Tried to login but without success.
    Before Oracle aquired Sun, I frequently used the Bugdatabase. Had a bunch of Bugs on my Watchlist and also voted for some Bugs. Had created several Bugreports over the years.
    I have been trying to look at my watched/created bugs for some month now, but there seems to be no chance to login.

Alweays the same error, the connection times out on "http://bugs.sun.com/authenticate.do".

Resetting the Password for my account however worked, but I can't log in.
  • 14. Re: What's up with the Java Bug Database, located at bugs.sun.com?
    schlm3 Newbie
    I have just discovered a strange behavior:
    I have tried to enter a comment on a Bug which I opened some months ago:
    http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=7044285

I was not logged in, but entered the comment in the comment field. Then pushed "submit".
    The submit redirected me to the login page. I have entered my credentials and had to wait. I waited about 3 minutes, then I got a blank page with URL "http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/authenticate.do" (IE reports a lost connection in this case, but FF shows a blank page). I tried to login several times without success.

Then, I closed the Browser, and reopened the Bug's URL. Surprise: My comment has been added 3 times!

--> So it seems that the login works somehow in the background.

Trying to login correctly (such that I could access my watrch list) is still not possible.
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points