3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2011 9:19 AM by 871316 RSS

Glassfish 3.1 + Java Webstart

I am having some very strange issues with running an Enterprise application on Glassfish 3.1 with Java Web Start. Everything works fine with Glassfish 2.1.1, but I want to take advantage of Java EE 6, so I need to upgrade to GF 3.1. That's where everything went haywire. I was finally able to get the project to deploy, but with this warning:

WARNING: ACDEPL112: The following extensions or libraries are referenced from the manifest of...
      - I have checked to make sure the libraries exist and are registered with the project and they do
      - I don't get these errors with Glassfish 2.1.1
      - I don't get any NoClassDefFound exceptions, so I assume it has the libraries but still throws the warning for some reason

When I run the web start application, it takes over 5 minutes to fully start up and download the files, which also never happened with 2.1.1. The server log is littered with broken pipe exceptions, and I have no idea why.

Once it finally starts up, the first time I try to run a transaction in the EJB, I get this exception:

javax.ejb.NoSuchEJBException, which is followed by a ton of trace stuff. I have a ton of code I can post (so much that I don't know where to start).

Does anyone have any idea as to why an enterprise app can work flawlessly on Glassfish 2.1.1 but not work at all on Glassfish 3.1?

Thank you very much for your help!
        • 1. Re: Glassfish 3.1 + Java Webstart
          Did you migrate all you application to EJB 3.1 already or are you testing the old application as is?
          I would suggest deploying a simple (one EJB) application that is built with EJB 3.1 in mind from scratch and making sure the deployments both for client and server work as expected first.
          From there you could them migrate the application 'module by module' so that it is easier to pinpoint the source of errors.
          • 2. Re: Glassfish 3.1 + Java Webstart
            This thread has been moved from the JavaBeans forum to the Glassfish forum, hopefully for closer topic alignment and better visibility with those familiar with Glassfish.
            • 3. Re: Glassfish 3.1 + Java Webstart
              I could build a very simple EJB app and deploy, but I can't migrate the application module by module because there are libraries and code from each module that are co-dependent. I would have to comment out hundreds of lines in a ton of files to get rid of all of the dependencies...I'd like to avoid doing this. Is there a better way to migrate module by module that I don't know about (the above method is all i know).

My current running theory is an issue with libraries and their locations, but I don't know how I could change things without rewriting the entire application. Thanks for your help!