3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2011 1:41 PM by captfoss RSS

Alternatives to JMF?

Hi there,

I want to write a program that accesses the built-in webcam of my laptop.

I'm new to JMF - never written anything using it before - but having done some reading up on it it seems overly complex, and apparently has not been supported/updated since 2002. I'm wondering if there might be any alternative frameworks. I've read about FMJ, but that seems to rely on JMF being installed, so doesn't seem like a true alternative.

Any advice would be great :)

Cheers

Edited by: 868435 on Jun 26, 2011 4:56 AM
        • 1. Re: Alternatives to JMF?
          JMF works pretty well. You should check it out by more than reading about it. Check out JMStudio for example and see what it does. Source code is available if you look for it. Granted it doesn't do everything, but it can be combined with Fob4jmf to extend its functionality.
          • 2. Re: Alternatives to JMF?
            JMStudio can't find my webcam - another reason I didn't want to use JMF.
            • 3. Re: Alternatives to JMF?
              captfoss
              it seems overly complex
              Complex, yes, but no overly so... it's about as simple as it can be, considering what it does.

AV frameworks aren't simple creatures.
              and apparently has not been supported/updated since 2002.
              Which is why I wouldn't use it for anything other than a person project or an academic exercise...
              I'm wondering if there might be any alternative frameworks.
              There are. The best one is called FMJ...
              I've read about FMJ, but that seems to rely on JMF being installed, so doesn't seem like a true alternative.
              No, FMJ is an entirely independant thing... it's essentially a wrapper around some common AV libraries (FFMPEG as best I recall) designed to be API-compatible with JMF.

In other words, JMF code should be able to be compiled against both the JMF jars & native libraries or the FMJ jars & native libraries.

If you want to / need to do it in Java, then FMJ is probably your best bet... if you don't need to do it in Java, then you'd be better off learning Adobe Flex or Microsoft Silverlight.