5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2011 2:37 AM by masoud RSS

is Oracle10g Express supported on Windows server 2998R2 Standard

masoud
      Hi, all,

i have installed Oracle10g Express Edition on a machine with Windows Server 2008 R2 standard edition.
      I have been able to import my databse which was found on another machine with Windows XP.
      However, i have a problem;
      I cannot connect to the new server from my application.
      My application has been developed on Forms 6i.
      I have tried to connect via the SQLPLUS from another pc to the new server, but in vain.

Grateful if anyone can help to solve the issue.

regards
      Mas
        • 1. Re: is Oracle10g Express supported on Windows server 2998R2 Standard
          masoud
          I am sorry...it is Windows server 2008R2 Standard....and not 2998
          • 2. Re: is Oracle10g Express supported on Windows server 2998R2 Standard
            Udo
            Hi Mas,

this forum is dedicated to *11g* Express Edition Beta, so you either have a typo there as well, or you hit the wrong forum.
            Anyhow, I'll try to answer you question, as this issue might as well affect the 11g XE.
            Are you able to connect locally to the database, e.g. using the sqlplus on your Windows Server console?
            If that works, you should check the firewall to allow connections to your database listener (default is TCP port 1521).
            If it doesn't, you should check if the datase listener is working at all. First, check if the Windows Service is running. Second, check the output of the command lsnrctl status .

-Udo
            • 3. Re: is Oracle10g Express supported on Windows server 2998R2 Standard
              masoud
              Hi Udo,

Thanks for the reply....Actually its my first post to this forum. I did not notice about the 10g/11g forum.

Anyway, i have ben able to connect to the database via sqlplus from another machine. It was an error on my part. i missed something in the tnsnames.ora file.
              Its fine now.. i have been able to connect via sqlplus.

However, there is still the issue of connection through my application (forms 6i).
              i have read somewhere that there is a patch for forms6i to be able to connect to oracle 10g databases.
              Can you help me in this matter.

regards
              Masoud
              • 4. Re: is Oracle10g Express supported on Windows server 2998R2 Standard
                Udo
                Hi Masoud,
                Actually its my first post to this forum. I did not notice about the 10g/11g forum.
                No problem. It's just that one can't be sure if it's just a typo or actually 10g. ;)
                Anyway, i have ben able to connect to the database via sqlplus from another machine. It was an error on my part. i missed something in the tnsnames.ora file.
                Its fine now.. i have been able to connect via sqlplus.

Okay, that's good.
                i have read somewhere that there is a patch for forms6i to be able to connect to oracle 10g databases.
                Well, now we're really out of the scope of this forum. If you have support for your Forms 6i, you could take a look into MOS (My Oracle Support, formerly known as Metalink). Perhaps you'll also find help in the appropriate forum: {forum:id=82}

Please mark this thread as answered, as it seems there is no relation to the forum topic.

Thanks,

Udo
                • 5. Re: is Oracle10g Express supported on Windows server 2998R2 Standard
                  masoud
                  Hi Udo,

Thanks again for the help.

Just to tell you that i have solved the problem.
                  Actually it was a problem with the Character set. I had to change the character set of ther server so that it matches that of the application.

regards
                  Masoud

Edited by: masoud on Jun 30, 2011 12:37 AM