This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2011 7:34 PM by 874383 RSS

Licensing questions about custom JMX Remote implementation

874383 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello All,

I am considering the development of an implementation of the JMX Remote specification (JSR 160), for an open source project licensed under the Apache 2.0.
After a lot of research and reading on the subject, I am still unsure if this is feasible without raising legal issues.
In particular, I have the following unanswered questions:
- will I owe anything to Oracle?
- will I have to buy and pass the TCK for JSR 160? What if I don't claim to be JSR 160-compliant?
- are there any licensing provisions for (not for profit) open source projects?

Would you have any insights or pointers as to where I could find relevant information on this?

To clarify my itent, what I'd like to do is use a low-level TCP-based protocol for JMX remote, and provide it as an alternative to the RMI connector in the project. I have read about JMXMP, which is a perfect fit from a technical standpoint, however my understanding of the licensing terms, for both sources and binaries, is that it is not compatible for inclusion in and redistribution with an Apache 2.0 licensed project. Is my understanding correct?

Thank you all for your help.

Sincerely,
-Laurent
  • 1. Re: Licensing questions about custom JMX Remote implementation
    jtahlborn Expert
    lolo wrote:
    To clarify my itent, what I'd like to do is use a low-level TCP-based protocol for JMX remote, and provide it as an alternative to the RMI connector in the project. I have read about JMXMP, which is a perfect fit from a technical standpoint, however my understanding of the licensing terms, for both sources and binaries, is that it is not compatible for inclusion in and redistribution with an Apache 2.0 licensed project. Is my understanding correct?
    i'm pretty sure your understanding is not correct. i'm pretty sure all the reference implementations are distributed under the same license as the core java (looks like the Sun BCL). in other words, if you can use java, you should be able to use the reference implementations. (the Sun BCL basically says you can use it in whatever you want and distribute it freely as long as you don't modify it at all).

Edited by: jtahlborn on Jul 9, 2011 2:34 PM
  • 2. Re: Licensing questions about custom JMX Remote implementation
    874383 Newbie
    Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my post. This actually prompted me to re-read the terms of the BCL (as expressed here: https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_Developer-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewLicense-Start?LicenseUUID=KFjACUFB._AAAAEYNtU5AXiO&ProductUUID=R1PACUFBYtQAAAEY2E45AXuV&cnum=&evsref=&sln=), and especially the supplemental terms for the JMX remote reference implementation, which indeed allows its distribution in binary form.

Thanks a bunch, this'll save me a lot of time and headaches.

-Laurent

Edited by: lolo on Jul 11, 2011 4:32 AM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points