10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2011 12:44 PM by 874081 RSS

Fresh Installation Boot Errors

I'm new to trying to work with Solaris 10, and to a lot of Solaris in general, so while I'd normally be happy to do a lot of reading (and have tried searching for answers on google a good deal already), I'm having a problem after a fresh installation of Solaris 10 on a Sparc T3-1 server that I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction to solve.

During the install I told the text installer I wanted to do a ZFS installation using both of my disks (only 2) in a mirrored configuration. I selected the default set of core system packages.

After the install seemed to be done and the system rebooted, I'm getting the following when it comes up:

-----

Boot device: /pci@400/pci@1/pci@0/pci@4/scsi@0/disk@w5000c5003a04f911,0:a File and args:
      SunOS Release 5.10 Version Generic_142909-17 64-bit
      Copyright (c) 1983, 2010, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
      Failed to plumb IPv4 interface(s): igb0
      Jul 7 12:12:34 svc.startd[9]: svc:/network/physical:default: Method "/lib/svc/method/net-physical" failed with exit status 96.
      Jul 7 12:12:34 svc.startd[9]: network/physical:default misconfigured: transitioned to maintenance (see 'svcs -xv' for details)
      Hostname: tempdb
      Loading smf(5) service descriptions: 1/136
      WARNING: svccfg import /var/svc/manifest/application/management/sma.xml failed
      2/136
      WARNING: svccfg import /var/svc/manifest/application/management/wbem.xml failed
      3/136
      WARNING: svccfg import /var/svc/manifest/application/management/seaport.xml failed

followed by another 133 lines with similar failures, followed by:
      svccfg import warnings. See /var/svc/log/system-manifest-import:default.log .
      WARNING: svccfg apply /var/svc/profile/generic.xml failed
      WARNING: svccfg apply /var/svc/profile/platform.xml failed
      Requesting System Maintenance Mode
      (See /lib/svc/share/README for more information.)
      Console login service(s) cannot run

Root password for system maintenance (control-d to bypass): Reading ZFS config: done.
      Mounting ZFS filesystems: (6/6)

-----

After doing a new install off of the install media (cd) I would have expected the system to be able to boot without errors, but obviously I've missed something or done something wrong, and I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction for figuring out what that is and fixing it.

I'm happy to provide any other details if there are questions.
        • 1. Re: Fresh Installation Boot Errors
          Nik
          Hi.
          It's look like you select very small packages set.

For work igb0 you need install package SUNWigb.

You need install as min : SUNWCrnet Reduced Networking Core System Support

SUNWCmreq "Minimal Core System Support" Not include this driver.

IMHO: reinstall system with requred package set.

Regards.
          • 2. Re: Fresh Installation Boot Errors
            Thank you for the suggestion, Nik!

I went through the installation again, and this time (since I'm going to be doing this a few times and can pare it down later) I selected all of the packages. This had similar, but not identical, results:

-----
            Boot device: /pci@400/pci@1/pci@0/pci@4/scsi@0/disk@w5000c5003a04f911,0:a File and args:
            SunOS Release 5.10 Version Generic_142909-17 64-bit
            Copyright (c) 1983, 2010, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
            Failed to plumb IPv4 interface(s): igb0
            Jul 7 15:29:44 svc.startd[9]: svc:/network/physical:default: Method "/lib/svc/method/net-physical" failed with exit status 96.
            Jul 7 15:29:44 svc.startd[9]: network/physical:default misconfigured: transitioned to maintenance (see 'svcs -xv' for details)
            Hostname: templfdb
            /usr/kernel/drv/sparcv9/rsm: undefined symbol 'rsm_get_controller'
            /usr/kernel/drv/sparcv9/rsm: undefined symbol 'rsm_get_controller_attr'
            /usr/kernel/drv/sparcv9/rsm: undefined symbol 'rsm_release_controller'
            WARNING: mod_load: cannot load module 'rsm'
            WARNING: rsm: unable to resolve dependency, module 'misc/rsmops' not found
            /usr/kernel/drv/sparcv9/rsm: undefined symbol 'rsm_get_controller'
            /usr/kernel/drv/sparcv9/rsm: undefined symbol 'rsm_get_controller_attr'
            /usr/kernel/drv/sparcv9/rsm: undefined symbol 'rsm_release_controller'
            WARNING: mod_load: cannot load module 'rsm'
            WARNING: rsm: unable to resolve dependency, module 'misc/rsmops' not found
            Configuring devices.
            Loading smf(5) service descriptions: 1/150
            WARNING: svccfg import /var/svc/manifest/application/graphical-login/cde-login.xml failed
            2/150
            WARNING: svccfg import /var/svc/manifest/application/database/postgresql.xml failed
            3/150
            WARNING: svccfg import /var/svc/manifest/application/database/postgresql_83.xml failed
            4/150
            WARNING: svccfg import /var/svc/manifest/application/gdm2-login.xml failed
            5/150
            WARNING: svccfg import /var/svc/manifest/application/font/fc-cache.xml failed
            6/150
            WARNING: svccfg import /var/svc/manifest/application/management/sma.xml failed
            7/150
            WARNING: svccfg import /var/svc/manifest/application/management/seaport.xml failed
            8/150
            -----

and so on.

Do you have any other suggestions?
            • 3. Re: Fresh Installation Boot Errors
              Nik
              Hi.
              It's look like packeg SUNWrsmo not installed.

What type of installation you do ? For general system I recommend Entire Distribution plus OEM support (SUNWCXall)
              For minimazied system for securite reason: Start from Reduced Networking Core System Support (SUNWCrnet). But be ready to install
              additional packages for resolving dependency.

You use netwok installation or from DVD media ?

Regards.
              • 4. Re: Fresh Installation Boot Errors
                I did the 'Entire Distribution plus OEM support' installation, in this instance. I installed from the DVD media.
                • 5. Re: Fresh Installation Boot Errors
                  Nik
                  Hi.
                  What release of Solaris 10 you use?
                  cat /etc/release
                  more /etc/hostname.iprb0
                  more /etc/hosts
                  grep host /etc/nsswitch.conf
                  pkginfo SUNWrsmo SUNWigb

Regards.
                  • 6. Re: Fresh Installation Boot Errors
                    This is Solaris 10 9/10 (u9), with the DVD image downloaded off of the oracle.com site just a couple of weeks ago. I did install the Entire Distribution plus OEM support install, and did not unselect any packages.

Trying to gather the info you requested gives further information to suggest that there were problems with the install, though I didn't see it report any and I'm not sure what the problem was:

bash-3.00# cat /etc/release
                    cat: cannot open /etc/release

bash-3.00# more /etc/hostname.igb0
                    templfdb

bash-3.00# more /etc/hosts
                    #
                    # Internet host table
                    #
                    ::1 localhost
                    127.0.0.1 localhost
                    10.1.9.10 templfdb loghost
                    bash-3.00#

bash-3.00# grep host /etc/nsswitch.conf
                    # DNS for hosts lookups, otherwise it does not use any other naming service.
                    # "hosts:" and "services:" in this file are used only if the
                    hosts: files dns
                    # before searching the hosts databases.

bash-3.00# pkginfo SUNWrsmo SUNWigb
                    ld.so.1: pkginfo: fatal: libssl.so.0.9.7: open failed: No such file or directory
                    Killed
                    • 7. Re: Fresh Installation Boot Errors
                      Nik
                      Hi.
                      This media should work on your server without any problem.

May be some trubles with writing this iso image on DVD or when imega was download.

Check installation log for any errors:

/var/sadm/install_data/install_log

Regards.
                      • 8. Re: Fresh Installation Boot Errors
                        I do see a few messages in the installation log that give me concern. The first is:

*Creating and checking file systems
                        - Creating rpool/ROOT/rdata dataset
                        - Creating dataset rpool/ROOT/rdata/var
                        libshare SMF initialization problem: entity not found
                        libshare SMF initialization problem: entity not found*

There are also quite a few instances where a PKG installation says something like this:

*Installation of <SUNWcnetr> was successful.
                        pkgadd: ERROR: PKG parameter is not defined in <þëØ>
                        346 blocks*
                        or

*Installation of <SUNWj5dvx> was successful.
                        7153 blocks
                        pkgadd: ERROR: class action script did not complete successfully
                        ERROR: attribute verification of </a/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/fonts.dir> failed
                        pathname does not exist
                        ERROR: attribute verification of </a/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/F3bitmaps/fonts.dir> failed
                        pathname does not exist
                        ERROR: attribute verification of </a/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/fonts.dir> failed
                        pathname does not exist
                        ERROR: attribute verification of </a/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/misc/fonts.dir>failed
                        ERROR: attribute verification of </a/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/F3bitmaps/fonts.dir> failed
                        pathname does not exist
                        ERROR: attribute verification of </a/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/fonts.dir> failed
                        pathname does not exist
                        ailed
                        pathname does not exist
                        ERROR: attribute verification of </a/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/fonts.alias.all> failed
                        pathname does not exist
                        ERROR: attribute verification of </a/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/F3bitmaps/fonts.alias.all> failed
                        pathname does not exist
                        ERROR: attribute verification of </a/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/fonts.alias.all> failed
                        pathname does not exist
                        ERROR: attribute verification of </a/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/misc/fonts.alias.all> failed
                        pathname does not exist

Installation of <SUNWaspell-en-share> was successful.
                        14501 blocks
                        ERROR: attribute verification of </a/usr/openwin/lib/locale/ja/X11/fonts/75dpi/fonts.dir> failed
                        pathname does not exist
                        ERROR: attribute verification of </a/usr/openwin/lib/locale/ja/X11/fonts/TTbitmaps/fonts.dir> failed
                        pathname does not exist
                        Can't open ./fonts.dir
                        Can't open ./fonts.dir*

There are also a few that say:

Reboot client to install driver.

The installer did seem to reboot at the end. Does the installer handle those 'reboot client' cases itself?
                        • 9. Re: Fresh Installation Boot Errors
                          Nik
                          Hi.
                          In my logs:

Present:
                          - Creating dataset rpool/ROOT/rdata/var
                          libshare SMF initialization problem: entity not found
                          libshare SMF initialization problem: entity not found*
                          Reboot client to install driver.
                          Not normal:
                          *Installation of <SUNWj5dvx> was successful.
                          7153 blocks
                          ERROR: attribute verification of </a/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/fonts.dir> failed
                          pathname does not exist
                          pathname does not exist
                          IMHO:
                          Try one more time unzip archive and rewrite media.

Regards.
                          • 10. Re: Fresh Installation Boot Errors
                            I created a new DVD off of the .iso image and reinstalled, and now no longer have the same errors.

Thank you!