8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2011 5:38 PM by 875323 RSS

Clusterware installation: Virtual IP problem

Lukasz Mastalerz
      I'm installing Oracle Clusterware, and I have some problems with VIP's. In installation guide states that I didn't have to configure that addresses (only put them into /etc/hosts or DNS). During crsvrfy it's called a problem but it's said in docs that I can ignore it. So I start runInstaller and during step "Specify Cluster Configuration" I'm receiving error:

The following node names are invalid, as they do not resolve to valid IP address: name1, name2

These addresses are configured as addresses from the same subnet as public addresses.

Clusterware 10.2.1 for Linux 32bit
      SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP2 32bit
        • 1. Re: Clusterware installation: Virtual IP problem
          Hello,

as the error message states "These addresses are configured as addresses from the same subnet as public addresses." Regardless of this, it will work - try vipca.

Franky
          • 2. Re: Clusterware installation: Virtual IP problem
            Lukasz Mastalerz
            Franky wrote:
            as the error message states "These addresses are configured as addresses from the same subnet as public addresses." Regardless of this, it > Franky
            No, that is what I say ;) Error just says:

The following node names are invalid, as they do not resolve to valid IP address: name1, name2

Do you think I should run vipca before install Clusterware? From where can I do it?
            oracle@slesorange:~/Documents/clusterware/clusterware> pwd
            /home/oracle/Documents/clusterware/clusterware
            oracle@slesorange:~/Documents/clusterware/clusterware> ls
            cluvfy  doc  install  response  rpm  runInstaller  stage  upgrade  welcome.html
            oracle@slesorange:~/Documents/clusterware/clusterware> find . -name "vipca"
            oracle@slesorange:~/Documents/clusterware/clusterware>
            • 3. Re: Clusterware installation: Virtual IP problem
              Hello,

do you give domain name postfixes into the /etc/host? Vipca has to be under $CRS_HOME/bin

Franky
              • 4. Re: Clusterware installation: Virtual IP problem
                Lukasz Mastalerz
                Franky wrote:
                do you give domain name postfixes into the /etc/host? Vipca has to be under $CRS_HOME/bin
                I'm currently installing Clusterware, so I didn't have $CRS_HOME/bin directory.
                But I've found that its a bug: (Bug No. 6017001)
                https://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/f?p=130:15:4944160587388400693::::p15_database_id,p15_docid,p15_show_header,p15_show_help,p15_black_frame,p15_font:BUG,6017001,1,1,1,helvetica

Thanks a lot Franky
                • 5. Re: Clusterware installation: Virtual IP problem
                  user5421929
                  This link is broke!
                  How do you fixed the problem with Virtual Ip?
                  • 6. Re: Clusterware installation: Virtual IP problem
                    I had the same issue error reported was this in the console:

"following node names are invalid, as they do not resolve to a valid IP address:
                    rac2-vip.localdomain."

My problem appears to be a mistake in the /etc/hosts file.

i had no entry for rac2-vip.localdomain but two entries for: rac2-vip.localdomain ( yes you guessed it copy and paste)

Just hope it is your same issue.
                    • 7. Re: Clusterware installation: Virtual IP problem
                      Billy~Verreynne
                      Why are you responding to a posting from 2008?

For what purpose do you resurrect an old and dead thread?

My standard sarcastic question to something that seemingly has become a norm now... posting valueless and meaningless responses to threads and problems several years old...

Are you a professional idiot? Or just a gifted amateur?
                      • 8. Re: Clusterware installation: Virtual IP problem
                        Probably because the solution I needed was not here and I thought it good practice to add what was useful to me, maybe help some other professional idiot and spare them 20 minutes of life. (the answer was not here after all this time so ..)

Actually a question comes to mind.. If this post is not useful to you I am sorry, but have you nothing better to do then point out that my answer came late ..

To muse you I just started working with oracle and this is the closest question to my problem, would it have been more correct to keep my solution to myself?

Am a professional gifted amateur to answer your question never been qualified as an idiot though, will consider for my next job post.