This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 15, 2011 2:44 PM by 820145 RSS

Needing wisdom re NetBeans Outline ("tree table") component

820145 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Greetings all,

I realise I should be posting this on a netbeans forum, and I have already done so, but no-one seems to want to reply over there... :-< So I'm hoping someone here has some relevant experience with this component.

I have two questions:

1. Has anyone managed to get notifications when the user edits a node in the tree part of the treetable? I can get the nodes to be editable, I can type in a change to the text there, but I'm not getting any notification of the change! I have tried registering the Outline model as a TreeModelListener and implementing treeNodesChanged(). I have tried registering the Outline as a TableModelListener and implementing tableChanged(). Nothing is working: I don't get the notifications. Does some kind person have some sample code, or a pointer to some, which would get me going in the right direction? Unless absolutely necessary I would rather not post my code, since it's "complicated"... ;->

2. Can anyone confirm whether this component supports drag 'n' drop? I haven't even started on that journey yet, so knowing "yes" or "no" would be very helpful.

Grateful thanks, as always, for any and all help :->
  • 1. Re: Needing wisdom re NetBeans Outline ("tree table") component
    820145 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    (Responding to my own thread in case the following is of use to someone else someday...)

Here is how to get this to work:
    private class TreeTable extends Outline implements TableModel
    {
      public void setValueAt(Object aValue, int rowIndex, int columnIndex)
      {
        NodeObjectType node= (NodeObjectType) getPathForRow(rowIndex).getLastPathComponent();
        System.out.println("The user has finished editing the node.");
        System.out.println("Old value: " + node.toString());
        System.out.println("New value: " + aValue);
      }
      public TreePath getPathForRow(int rowInUI)
      {
        int row = convertRowIndexToModel(rowInUI);
        if (getLayoutCache() != null)
        {
          return getLayoutCache().getPathForRow(row);
        }
        else
        {
          return null;
        }
      }
    }
    where NodeObjectType is the object that you are using for each node of the tree.

I haven't yet gone into drag 'n' drop, so I can't advise anything on that one. TIA still for tips & pointers with that :->

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points