This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2013 6:26 AM by itobinh RSS

Oracle Apex Packaged Applications availability

andyhaw Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Does anyone know when the Oracle Apex Packaged Applications will be available again, the page on
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/apex/application-express/packaged-apps-090453.html just says:
"The previous packaged applications and sample code have been removed and new applications are currently being developed."

I could really do with a copy of the timesheet application to use as a base, even an old version of it and don't really care too much about all the reported bugs in it.
If anyone knows where I can get a copy I would appreciate it.

Why was it necessary to remove the old Packaged Applications, why not leave them available until the new ones were developed.
  • 1. Re: Oracle Apex Packaged Applications availability
    Mini Journeyer
    Hi,

im not sure with the next release of packaged applications, i too missed of making a copy of old time sheet application.

do you need any other application??

Regards,
    Mini

------------------
    Mark Answers Promptly
  • 2. Re: Oracle Apex Packaged Applications availability
    876155 Newbie
    I also encountered the same problem. I was planning to download the OEHR Sample Objects when the same message prompted..

please advise on this matter.

thanks.
  • 3. Re: Oracle Apex Packaged Applications availability
    Mini Journeyer
    Hi,

you need that oehr sample objects. okay just give your email id so that i can send u the file

Regards,
    Mini

-------------------------
    Mark Answers Promptly
  • 4. Re: Oracle Apex Packaged Applications availability
    RickyBurke Newbie
    If I were going to buy an all new wardrobe in a few months, I would not throw out all of my existing cloths now; and walk around naked until I decided to buy new cloths.

If I were going to order all new fire extinguishers in a few months, I would not throw out all of my existing and functioning fire extinguishers now; assuming any pending fires would be happy to wait until my new fire extinguishers arrived.

And if Oracle were to come up with a new version of their Database in a few months, they SURELY would NOT pull all of their existing Database documents now.

So why in the world would it make sense to pull all of the existing Application Express Packaged Applications and Sample Code NOW, when the dates for the replacements have not even been announced?

Confused beyond belief . . .
  • 5. Re: Oracle Apex Packaged Applications availability
    RickyBurke Newbie
    So, when will the new Packaged Applications and Sample Code be available?

Will all of the Applications and Sample Code be re-written?

If not, will the previous versions be made available?

These were very valuable resources to both novice and advanced APEX Developers.
    To remove them with no warning, no replacements and no timeframe for updates seems INSANE.
  • 6. Re: Oracle Apex Packaged Applications availability
    TexasApexDeveloper Guru
    Mini,
    Send your e-mail address to texas . apex . developer @ gmail . com and I can send you along a copy of the timesheet app..

Thank you,

Tony Miller
    Webster, TX

Time flies like the wind, but fruit flies like bananas.

If this question is answered, please mark the thread as closed and assign points where earned..
  • 7. Re: Oracle Apex Packaged Applications availability
    Mini Journeyer
    Hi Tony,

Thanks my email is right on the way, kindly check in

Regards,
    Mini
  • 8. Re: Oracle Apex Packaged Applications availability
    Kiran Expert
    Hi Ricky,

Yes the unavailability of Packaged Applications is truly inconvenient. May be you can report it to:

oracle-application-express_ww@oracle.com

They can only give proper response about all your questions.

Regards,
    Kiran
  • 10. Re: Oracle Apex Packaged Applications availability
    RickyBurke Newbie
    Thanks Kiran; great suggestion.

And thanks to all those willing to e-mail the old versions of these Apps to those that want them.
    However, I believe the best thing is for Oracle to re-post the old apps, at least until the new ones are available.

Below is the e-mail I sent to oracle-application-express_ww@oracle.com.

If others agree, I hope they will also send an e-mail petitioning for the re-posting of these apps.

Hello,

ALL of the APEX Packaged Applications and Sample Code were removed from the apex.oracle.com web site, with a note stating

“The previous packaged applications and sample code have been removed and new applications are currently being developed.”

I just noticed that you are beginning to re-post SOME of the Apps.

Could we PLEASE get ALL of the previous Packaged Applications and Sample Code re-posted, at least until the new versions are available?

You can always include the note:

“These applications do not follow all recommended coding practices and security.”

The alternative is to have APEX Developers with old versions of these apps e-mailing them to new users, as they are already starting to do.
    These may not be the “Official” (original) versions, and will most likely not have the disclaimer mentioned above.
    It will become a nightmare to have people try to help support/debug these apps if they are not sure of which version someone is using.

These were very valuable resources to both novice and advanced APEX Developers.
    To remove them before their replacements are available is a HUGE disservice to the APEX community.

I realize the old versions were not PERFECT, but they were WONDERFUL examples from which we could add to.
    These examples provided a lot of rich functionality and great examples of how to use APEX.

It would be great to have perfect examples that follow all recommended coding practices and security;
    but until these are available, I would much rather modify an application if needed than create it from scratch.
  • 11. Re: Oracle Apex Packaged Applications availability
    Kiran Expert
    Hi Ricky,

I am glad that my suggestion of e-mail was of help.
    Thanks for dropping a mail to the APEX Team regarding Packaged Applications Availability
    as many were feeling the inconvenience of removing the packaged applications.

By the way Oracle site has all the setups and documentation of previous APEX versions
    archived, so they should have just moved the old Packaged Applications to a archive instead
    of removing them completely!

Previous Release Archives: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/apex/application-express/all-archives-099381.html

Regards,
    Kiran
  • 12. Re: Oracle Apex Packaged Applications availability
    Mini Journeyer
    Hi Tony,

Can you send me *"Discussion Forum"* Sample packaged application to my mail if you have.

And also im waiting for the *"Time Sheet"* application too.

Regards,
    Mini
  • 13. Re: Oracle Apex Packaged Applications availability
    TexasApexDeveloper Guru
    Sent via e-mail..

Thank you,

Tony Miller
    Webster, TX

Never Surrender Dreams!
    JMS

If this question is answered, please mark the thread as closed and assign points where earned..
  • 14. Re: Oracle Apex Packaged Applications availability
    Mini Journeyer
    Thanks Tony,

I received it, thanks a lot for your timely help.

Regards,
    Mini
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points