7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2012 4:15 PM by 916325 RSS

Explaining a WD Error: "Entity Instance Does Not Match Expected Entity"

Patrick Devine
      Hello,

I'm wondering if someone can help me understand what is causing a persistent web server error that seems to be related to entities and/or instance creation. Lately, after building with screens and clicking on the top-level goal, I'll get this generic error:

-----
      An error occurred trying to process your request.
      This error has been logged and is available in the application logs.

For support and assistance please contact support@domain.local.
      -----

I then check the Embedded Web Server Output, and see the text pasted at the bottom of this post - the key error seeming to be "java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Entity instance does not match expected entity".

Observations:

- It seems to occur after I've made some significant changes to my data model: merging two entities, or switching relationships to being inferred.

- There are no errors or warnings in the "Error List" and all documents are compiling successfully.

- It only happens when I build with screens. I can 'build', or 'build and debug' without screens successfully.

- The most recent occurrence was after I had converted a few relationships to "Inferred" and resolved all compiling errors.

- It only occurs after clicking on the top-level goal, and sometimes a few screens afterwards. By switching most of my relationships back to non-inferred (except for one), I've been able to get some of the screens working - up until I arrive at the screen that involves creating instances for the second entity involved in the remaining inferred relationship.

- The remaining inferred relationship that I was suspecting as a cause seems to be working correctly (i.e. I can see that the instances were connected in the Data tab, even after the error has appeared in the web output).

I would be very grateful for any assistance with this error, as it's become somewhat of a time sink and I've already tried a few angles for troubleshooting it.

Thanks!
      - Patrick

Embedded Web Server Output:

Deploying application
      Jul 18, 2011 2:35:18 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader validateJarFile
      INFO: validateJarFile(C:\projects\[project name]\Release\web-determinations\WEB-INF\lib\servlet-api.jar) - jar not loaded. See Servlet Spec 2.3, section 9.7.2. Offending class: javax/servlet/Servlet.class
      Server startup complete!
      OK - Tomcat server started
      4 [http-127.0.0.1-9000-Processor4] ERROR com.oracle.determinations.web.platform.servlet.WebDeterminationsServletUtility - java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Entity instance does not match expected entity
      java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Entity instance does not match expected entity
           at com.oracle.determinations.engine.local.RelationshipRule.backwardChainInternalItem(RelationshipRule.java:209)
           at com.oracle.determinations.engine.local.RelationshipRule.backwardChainRelationshipItem(RelationshipRule.java:132)
           at com.oracle.determinations.engine.local.eval.RelationshipExpression.backwardChain(RelationshipExpression.java:216)
           at com.oracle.determinations.engine.local.eval.ExpressionEvaluation.backwardChain(ExpressionEvaluation.java:102)
           at com.oracle.determinations.engine.local.RuleTableValue.backwardChain(RuleTableValue.java:264)
           at com.oracle.determinations.engine.local.eval.ExpressionAttributeRef.backwardChain(ExpressionAttributeRef.java:122)
           at com.oracle.determinations.engine.local.eval.SimpleExpression.backwardChain(SimpleExpression.java:101)
           at com.oracle.determinations.engine.local.eval.SimpleExpression.backwardChain(SimpleExpression.java:101)
           at com.oracle.determinations.engine.local.eval.ExpressionEvaluation.backwardChain(ExpressionEvaluation.java:102)
           at com.oracle.determinations.engine.local.RuleTableValue.backwardChain(RuleTableValue.java:264)
           at com.oracle.determinations.engine.local.eval.ExpressionAttributeRef.backwardChain(ExpressionAttributeRef.java:122)
           at com.oracle.determinations.engine.local.RuleSimpleValue.backwardChain(RuleSimpleValue.java:212)
           at com.oracle.determinations.engine.local.eval.RelationshipExpression.backwardChain(RelationshipExpression.java:223)
           at com.oracle.determinations.engine.local.RuleSimpleValue.backwardChain(RuleSimpleValue.java:211)
           at com.oracle.determinations.engine.local.eval.ExpressionScopeSelect.backwardChain(ExpressionScopeSelect.java:40)
           at com.oracle.determinations.engine.local.eval.RelationshipExpression.backwardChain(RelationshipExpression.java:223)
           at com.oracle.determinations.engine.local.RuleSimpleValue.backwardChain(RuleSimpleValue.java:211)
           at com.oracle.determinations.engine.local.LocalAttribute.backwardChain(LocalAttribute.java:562)
           at com.oracle.determinations.engine.local.LocalAttribute.getRelevanceReport(LocalAttribute.java:515)
           at com.oracle.determinations.interview.engine.local.AttributeGoal.getNextScreen(AttributeGoal.java:113)
           at com.oracle.determinations.interview.engine.local.LocalInterviewSession.getNextScreen(LocalInterviewSession.java:213)
           at com.oracle.determinations.web.platform.controller.actions.InvestigateAction.submit(InvestigateAction.java:99)
           at com.oracle.determinations.web.platform.servlet.WebDeterminationsServlet.doPost(WebDeterminationsServlet.java:102)
           at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:647)
           at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729)
           at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:269)
           at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:188)
           at com.oracle.determinations.web.platform.util.CharsetFilter.doFilter(CharsetFilter.java:46)
           at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:215)
           at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:188)
           at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
           at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:172)
           at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
           at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:117)
           at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:108)
           at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:174)
           at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:879)
           at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:665)
           at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:528)
           at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:81)
           at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:689)
           at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Edited by: Patrick Devine on Jul 18, 2011 3:23 PM