11 Replies Latest reply: Jul 21, 2011 9:44 AM by 877110 RSS

Can't install Java SE SDK

I'm looking to to install the Android Dev kit on my Windows XP machine, but to do so, I first have to install the Java SDK. I have tried this a few times, but each time it completes as if nothing is wrong and registers the SDK, but I don't get an icon to invoke the JDK. And when I try to install the Android SDK, it says it can't because it doesn't see the Java SDK. Would appreciate suggestions on this.

It looks like I have the right system requirements. Mo error messages are presented along the way...

Thanks,
      Chuck
        • 1. Re: Can't install Java SE SDK
          handat
          The JDK is a compiler which is invoked from the command line so there is no icon for it that you can click. The Android Dev kit is probably looking for the JDK in the PATH and since you didn't add it to the PATH it won't be able to find it. Just add the location of where the JDK bin directory is to the Windows PATH.
          • 2. Re: Can't install Java SE SDK
            Good thought, but I tried that. I even rebooted Windows afterward. The Droid software still can't find it...
            Thanks!
            • 3. Re: Can't install Java SE SDK
              handat
              Try setting the JAVA_HOME environment variable as well point to the root of your java location, eg C:\tools\Java\JDK1.6
              • 4. Re: Can't install Java SE SDK
                Another good thought. I tried it, but no luck...hhhmmm...
                • 5. Re: Can't install Java SE SDK
                  gimbal2
                  Note that the JDK does not come with any "icon". What would be invoked then?

It might be a difference between the 32 bits and 64 bits version of the JDK. If you are using a 64 bits version and the android SDK specifically wants a 32 bits one you get this issue. For example OpenOffice has this exact problem.
                  • 6. Re: Can't install Java SE SDK
                    Note that the JDK does not come with any "icon". What would be invoked then?
                    My original expectation was that I'd get an icon to bring up an editor. I see that an editor is not included. I've been using the Crimson Editor for text, it understands PHP, probably JAVA too. Any other editors you'd recommend?

It might be a difference between the 32 bits and 64 bits version of the JDK. If you are using a 64 bits version and the android SDK specifically wants a 32 bits one you get this issue. For example OpenOffice has this exact problem.
                    The Driod site says that it supports both 32 and 64 bit OSs. Only one installer, so I have to believe it knows which one it is working with.

Thanks very much!!!

Edited by: 858965 on May 17, 2011 6:43 AM
                    • 7. Re: Can't install Java SE SDK
                      I have the same problem with you!!!!!!
                      Can anyone help us?
                      • 8. Re: Can't install Java SE SDK
                        gimbal2
                        858965 wrote:
                        My original expectation was that I'd get an icon to bring up an editor. I see that an editor is not included. I've been using the Crimson Editor for text, it understands PHP, probably JAVA too. Any other editors you'd recommend?
                        When you downloaded PHP, did you get an editor then?

Most people prefer a Java oriented IDE like Netbeans or Eclipse. You'll find that Java is far more complex than PHP; an IDE can help a lot to simplify development through code completion, inline API documentation, runtime error checking and the integrated debugger.

>
                        The Driod site says that it supports both 32 and 64 bit OSs. Only one installer, so I have to believe it knows which one it is working with.
                        Yes 32 bits and 64 bits OS, that is absolutely not the same as supporting the 32 bits and 64 bits Java runtime. If you are running a 64 bits OS, I suggest you give the 32 bits runtime a try anyway, if only to prove me wrong.
                        >
                        Thanks very much!!!
                        No problem. When you stop making assumptions, you can thank yourself too.
                        • 9. Re: Can't install Java SE SDK
                          When you downloaded PHP, did you get an editor then?
                          I never downloaded PHP. My hosting providers run it. I've been using Crimson Editor and it does OK.

Most people prefer a Java oriented IDE like Netbeans or Eclipse.
                          I was looking at Eclipse.

If you are running a 64 bits OS, I suggest you give the 32 bits runtime a try anyway, if only to prove me wrong.
                          I'm running Windows XP, which is 32-bit. I should have been more clear on my original statement-there is ony one Windows installer for this and it doesn't provide any options for which version you'll install.

Thanks!!!
                          • 10. Re: Can't install Java SE SDK
                            the problem is a bug in the installation software...easy to fix
                            when you get the error message .....just press <BACK> then press <NEXT> and the installer will find your copy. and commence to install android.
                            • 11. Re: Can't install Java SE SDK
                              Thanks. What is right above me worked perfectly.