This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2013 12:56 AM by 98faca41-550a-4453-a16d-5e43e3f7d0a7 RSS

wsdl and webservice functional use best pactices

detlev Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Hi folks,

are there any people with experience with the Web Service API of DRM 11.1.2 (.1.101) ?
I got it technically working last day but I am curious for other user experiences.

Are there any best practices?
Or known bugs or difficulties?
Where do you use it for?
Did anyone use it to connect to for instance Hyperion software, PeopleSoft, Planon, Coda or other ERP?

Hope to read from you!

Detlev
  • 1. Re: wsdl and webservice functional use best pactices
    786369 Explorer
    I have hundreds of pages of documentation related to use of web services API's for integrating to EBS Gl, Peoplsoft GL, SAP GL, various workflow solutions, custom metadata reporting solutions (DRM change management reporting and analytics), etc. Most of this relates to the API pre-v11.1.2 but I've done some work with the new API as well. Even if I wanted to share all of this information, it would require permission from customers that paid to have these things built and documented. However, if you have specific questions I'll do my best to assist.

Per your query, the biggest thing I've run into is performance testing. The design almost always changes significantly as a direct result of performance needs. For example, finding accounts details for 25k accounts via an API-based, crawl through the hierarchy API approach was taking over 12 hours even with the application server channel attached to the database server due to the need to identify the account with properties not specifically coded into the API as search keys. Far faster was to begin the process by having DRM produce an export that took 2 minutes, reading this into an in-memory array and then doing the searching in memory and making the updates back to DRM via the API, with the complete process taking less than 15 minutes. This approach required the updates to be performed in an overnight process during a maintenance downtime to insure that the information exported by DRM could not change. This kind of scenario comes up frequently when DRM maintains a lot of alternate naming for an entity across multiple legacy transaction systems in the enterprise. By the way I've never worked with Planon or Coda.

I've been contemplating writing an article on this topic for Oracle's support blog, but there's just so much on my plate at the moment. It's great to know that there's an appetite for this information.
  • 2. Re: wsdl and webservice functional use best pactices
    user7735421 Newbie
    Hi Naren,

With DRM 11.1.2.1.102 Oracle has published documentation regarding the WDK which is however not very straight forward. Can you please share any whitepapers/ information from your experience on WDK/ BPEL; something like a quick start wrt installation and usage. I need to implement a solution to use WDK for approval of changes to hierarchies, batch loads and notifications made via the WDK / BPEL interface. I'd appreciate any help in this regard.

Thank you,
    Emilie
  • 3. Re: wsdl and webservice functional use best pactices
    786369 Explorer
    Maybe after OpenWorld. Honestly, between consulting commitments and preparing for OOW I'm doing well check the forum regularly.
  • 4. Re: wsdl and webservice functional use best pactices
    877956 Newbie
    Hello folks,

Im also struggeling with installing the DRM WDK kit.

I`ve innstalled the DRM 11.1.2.101 release and all of the other software which is needed to get the DRM WDK kit working:

We have installed Hyperion shared services 11.1.2.1
    Oracle SOA Suite 11g Patch Set 3 (11.1.1.4.0)
    Jdeveloper 11.1.1.4 + exstensions
    Hyperion Relationship Management 11.1.2.101 (newest patch)
    Oracle Fusion Middleware Repository Creation Utility 11g (11.1.1.4.0) for Microsoft Windows (32-bit)
    Running on MSSQL Express database
    Users are deployed to Microsoft Active Directory

Innstallation completed without errors.
    All of the services are running.

We have followed all steps in the configurtion guide drm_install_11121.pdf but we still can`t get the web service which we have deployed to web logic working.

Error occurred while trying to communicate with DRM. (Cannot getPropDefs.
    [Thu Jun 30 07:35:00 CDT 2011] - Oracle EPM Foundation Agent
    Error in request: begin session (message: Cannot begin session. EPMCSS-00001: Failed to initialize EPM Shared Services security instance. Component SYSTEM9/FOUNDATION_SERVICES_PRODUCT/SHARED_SERVICES_PRODUCT is null in EPM System Registry. Verify EPM System Registry configuration.)
    )

I`ve also found this in the soa server logs where i have deployed the WDK kit
    ]]
    [2011-07-26T08:20:25.041-05:00] [soa_server1] [WARNING] [] [oracle.j2ee.ws.common.jaxws.JAXWSMessages] [tid: [ACTIVE].ExecuteThread: '18' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'] [userId: test] [ecid: 0000J5aabawFw000jzwkno1EBTl5000dur,0] [WEBSERVICE_PORT.name: DrmServicePortType] [APP: oracle-epm-drm-webservices] [J2EE_MODULE.name: oracle-epm-drm-webservices] [WEBSERVICE.name: DrmService] [J2EE_APP.name: oracle-epm-drm-webservices] Exception while executing the business logic: Cannot getPropDefs. [[
    [Tue Jul 26 08:20:25 CDT 2011] - Oracle EPM Foundation Agent
    Error in request: begin session (message: Cannot begin session. EPMCSS-00001: Failed to initialize EPM Shared Services security instance. Component SYSTEM9/FOUNDATION_SERVICES_PRODUCT/SHARED_SERVICES_PRODUCT is null in EPM System Registry. Verify EPM System Registry configuration.)

This error was resolved by adding the EPM registry in the WL console -->services -> data sources-->adding the SOA server to the EPM registry where i deployed the DRM WDK kit

Now i getting a new error:

]]
    [2011-07-27T09:47:17.834-05:00] [soa_server1] [WARNING] [] [oracle.wsm.security.policy.scenario.util.ScenarioUtils] [tid: [ACTIVE].ExecuteThread: '0' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'] [userId: test] [ecid: 0000J5g414JFw000jzwkno1EC2EN00002L,0] [APP: DrmWdkRequestApp#V2.0] X509 Certificate is present in WSDL. Identity takes precedence over keystore.recipient.alias
    [2011-07-27T09:47:17.883-05:00] [soa_server1] [ERROR] [] [oracle.epm.webservices.foundation] [tid: [ACTIVE].ExecuteThread: '4' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'] [userId: test] [ecid: 0000J5g461gFw000jzwkno1EC2EN00003H,0] [WEBSERVICE_PORT.name: DrmServicePortType] [APP: oracle-epm-drm-webservices] [J2EE_MODULE.name: oracle-epm-drm-webservices] [WEBSERVICE.name: DrmService] [J2EE_APP.name: oracle-epm-drm-webservices] [[
    [Wed Jul 27 09:47:17 CDT 2011] - Oracle EPM Foundation Agent
    Error in request: begin session (message: Cannot begin session. com/sun/jndi/ldap/ctl/PagedResultsControl)

]]
    [2011-07-27T09:47:17.883-05:00] [soa_server1] [WARNING] [] [oracle.j2ee.ws.common.jaxws.JAXWSMessages] [tid: [ACTIVE].ExecuteThread: '4' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'] [userId: test] [ecid: 0000J5g461gFw000jzwkno1EC2EN00003H,0] [WEBSERVICE_PORT.name: DrmServicePortType] [APP: oracle-epm-drm-webservices] [J2EE_MODULE.name: oracle-epm-drm-webservices] [WEBSERVICE.name: DrmService] [J2EE_APP.name: oracle-epm-drm-webservices] Exception while executing the business logic: Cannot getPropDefs. [[
    [Wed Jul 27 09:47:17 CDT 2011] - Oracle EPM Foundation Agent
    Error in request: begin session (message: Cannot begin session. com/sun/jndi/ldap/ctl/PagedResultsControl)

]]
    [2011-07-27T09:47:18.323-05:00] [soa_server1] [NOTIFICATION] [DFW-40104] [oracle.dfw.incident] [tid: AD] [userId: test] [ecid: 0000J5g44GiFw000jzwkno1EC2EN00002t,1:28482] [errid: 6] [detailLoc: c:\oracle\middleware\user_projects\domains\epmsystem\servers\soa_server1\adr\diag\ofm\epmsystem\soa_server1\incident\incdir_6] [probKey: OFM-99998 [com.hyperion.css.spi.impl.msad.MSADProvider][java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError]] [APP: oracle-epm-drm-webservices] incident 6 created with problem key "OFM-99998 [com.hyperion.css.spi.impl.msad.MSADProvider][java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError]"
    [2011-07-27T09:51:13.450-05:00] [soa_server1] [NOTIFICATION] [] [oracle.soa.bpel.engine.agents] [tid: orabpel.engine.pool-5.thread-2] [userId: <anonymous>] [ecid: 0000J5g2oaRFw000jzwkno1EC2EN000001,0] [APP: soa-infra] Done finding 0 expirable work items for the bpel engine

anyone had any simular problems or can give me some tips were to start?

Regards,
    Leo

Edited by: user6481620 on Jul 27, 2011 5:54 AM

Edited by: user6481620 on Jul 27, 2011 5:55 AM

Edited by: Leo von Schwind on Jul 28, 2011 12:35 AM
  • 5. Re: wsdl and webservice functional use best pactices
    detlev Explorer
    looking forward to it :-)
  • 6. Re: wsdl and webservice functional use best pactices
    879092 Newbie
    Same here. Looking forward for your white paper. there is a HUGE demand for this type of integration with BPEL/WDK with DRM
  • 7. Re: wsdl and webservice functional use best pactices
    detlev Explorer
    I 've got the wsdl running on the weblogic server.
    As far as I test it with a soap tester one first has to "fire" the create session command.
    The repsonse contains an indexid and if you use/fill this in in a next command one is able to retrieve data from the DRM api.
    Can this step be left out by creating a anonymous account on DRM? Or do I have to "insert this post xml into a second command?
    I am quite new to this matters but with a little help or some example I think I can get it working properly.

Into peoplesoft 8.50 (or 8.48 and higher) its fairly straight forward proces (not developer stuff) to import all the nesecary matters (messages/routings/ etc) from the wsdl. Its being done from an online menu (not using developer).
  • 8. Re: wsdl and webservice functional use best pactices
    877956 Newbie
    Hi Detlev!

I don`t think the step to create an account in DRM can be left out.
    This user need to be present in Weblogic(AD,OID), shared services and DRM.

-Leo
  • 9. Re: wsdl and webservice functional use best pactices
    detlev Explorer
    Hi Leo,

Things calmed down a bit in Oslo hopefully. What a dramatic episode is this for your country.

Back to business: My question was twofold. With leaving the credentials behind I was aiming at the (back in my memory now) anonymous access profile. But as I see right now this is only applicable for the webUI.

The second question is if I can combine several xml requests (or even the response). Since by now I am executing them in serial. First create session to retrieve a session_id.
    This session ID I am pasting into a second request to retrieve (for example) hierarchies (with getHier)

Detlev
  • 10. Re: wsdl and webservice functional use best pactices
    877956 Newbie
    Hi Detlev!

Yea things are slowly getting back to normal in oslo!

Im also going to use the new DRM web service from another application, but im also going to install the DRM WDK kit and test how the standard workflow is.
    It should not be nessesary to do several requests to for example gethier, in the old api you had to getsession first then listnode then getnode...

I am also using that api from a .net legacy application. But i am in a process to get the new web service API up and running which has functionality to retrive a node in one request.

Im trying to install the DRM wdk kit to communicate with the DRM Web service API.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E17236_01/epm.1112/drm_api.html

Im not amswering your question because om not sure how far you have managed to get this working, maybe you are nearer to get this working than me..:)
    Have you tested with the DRM WDK kit?

-Leo
  • 11. Re: wsdl and webservice functional use best pactices
    detlev Explorer
    Most likely I am beyopnd that step. But I am not quite sure what you mean by " DRM WDK kit".

I am using SOAPUI3.6.1 to test the drm wsdl (which in my case is "running" on http://server:5240/Oracle/Drm/APIAdapter?wsdl) (edited servername dvr).
    so I know drm responses with an xml answer.
  • 12. Re: wsdl and webservice functional use best pactices
    877956 Newbie
    Hi Detlev :)

By DRM WDK Kit i mean the workflow client that could be used with the DRM Web service API.
    Im able to use the "old" web service api from the legacy application but om not able to use the new API.

But you have managed to set up everything with soa suite, shared services with AD or OID?

Regards,
    Leo
  • 13. Re: wsdl and webservice functional use best pactices
    detlev Explorer
    I will look for the workflow client to see if it can help me. Never heared of it before.

No, I've not set up HSS since DRM is our only 11.1.2.1 environmentand I didn't like to install HSS only for DRM. All other Hyperion software is still running (smoothly) on 9.3.1.3.

Detlev
  • 14. Re: wsdl and webservice functional use best pactices
    877956 Newbie
    Hi

Good luck, remember to include static content in the install folder when you install HSS

its located under the planning suite!

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/planning/downloads/index.html

I`ve got almost everything working but i got some strange error messages when im trying to login to the workflow client as i wrote in some posts above.
    I`ve would be glad if you share your experiences!

Regards,
    Leo
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points