3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2011 8:41 AM by Mkirtley-Oracle

Migrate Oracle 8i

Hi all,

I am unable to connect to a remote instance of Oracle 8i using sql plus or SSMA. I have downloaded the latest Oracle client install and also modified tnsnames.ora as well as listener.ora to no avail. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Is it even possible to connect to an 8i Oracle DB using 11g client ?

Client is running Oracle 11.1.0.6.0 on a 64-bit Windows 7 desktop with sp1. DB Server is running Oracle 8.1.6.0.0 on Windows 2000 with sp4.

Thanks,
      Stan

Edited by: 875851 on Jul 28, 2011 2:15 PM
        • 1. Re: Migrate Oracle 8i
          Mkirtley-Oracle
          Stan,
          Connectivity between 11g and 8i has never been certified or supported.
          See this note in My Oracle Support for further information and details -

Client / Server / Interoperability Support Between Different Oracle Versions (Doc ID 207303.1)

If you have any further questions about it then it would be better to open a new thread in the SQLPLUS forum -

SQL and PL/SQL

This forum is for connectivity and migration issues between Oracle and non-Oracle databases.

Regards,
          Mike
          • 2. Re: Migrate Oracle 8i
            Thanks for the reply, I will definitely take a look at the article. I posted here because I am trying to migrate the Oracle 8i DB to SQL Server using SSMA (mentioned above). SQL Server Migration Assistant (SSMA) relies on the Oracle Client for connectivity so I was testing connectivity with sql plus concurrently. Both fail with the same error: ORA-12505 (TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor.

Stan
            • 3. Re: Migrate Oracle 8i
              Mkirtley-Oracle
              Stan,
              If that is the error then they should be able to help you in the SQLPLUS forum but it may be because the connection is not certified.

Regards,
              Mike