6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2011 4:38 AM by gimbal2 RSS

JSP/Servlet hosting

Hello

I need cheap hosting for the JSP/Servlet website with MySQL database. Any advice?
        • 1. Re: JSP/Servlet hosting
          gimbal2
          Google app engine is an option. But you are not going to find cheap hosting in Java land I'm afraid, at least not hosting that is actually something you can work with.
          • 2. Re: JSP/Servlet hosting
            Thanks for answering,

Google app engine is an option, but I want to use hibernate which is not supported by app engine.
            • 3. Re: JSP/Servlet hosting
              gimbal2
              839045 wrote:
              Thanks for answering,

Google app engine is an option, but I want to use hibernate which is not supported by app engine.
              If you focus on JPA you shouldn't care too much about which persistence provider is supported. AFAIK app engine does have persistence support.
              • 4. Re: JSP/Servlet hosting
                This is going to be tricky to answer, since the vendors themselves presumably cannot answer due to the "no commercial info or links" rule in these forums. However, since I have no stake whatsoever in them, I will say that I have used Kattare (kattare.com) for years, and have been very happy. However, I think they aim more at serious Java developers and small commercial sites than at extra-small hobbyists. So, with all the super-low-cost hosting out there now, I don't think Kattare would qualify as "cheap" -- I believe their cheapest plan is $9/month. If you google "java hosting" or "tomcat hosting" or "jsp hosting", you will get a zillion hits for even cheaper options for small/low-traffic sites.

The Google App Engine requires you to make a few small tweaks to standard servlet and JSP apps, but is free for most simple non-commercial situations. And, their Eclipse plugin makes deploying a breeze. I personally find it moderately annoying that I have to declare all of my JSP tag libraries in web.xml with the taglib element. You also cannot start your own server-side threads (which makes sense, since the next request may go to a different host), and a few rare but normally supported Java SE classes are prohibited. For me, the biggest drawback is that they have no servlet 3.0 support, and I write virtually all my servlets with @WebServlet instead of URL mappings in web.xml. Still, these are minor complaints for a good, free, ultra-reliable environment.

Cheers-

- Marty (hall@coreservlets.com)
                • 5. Re: JSP/Servlet hosting
                  Yeah, there are cheaper hosts, I made a deal for $6/month for a 64MB JVM at www.jvmhost.com
                  • 6. Re: JSP/Servlet hosting
                    gimbal2
                    874130 wrote:
                    Yeah, there are cheaper hosts, I made a deal for $6/month for a 64MB JVM at www.jvmhost.com
                    ... not bad at all actually! Some pretty good deals there, even for JBoss/Glassfish hosting.