This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2012 1:29 AM by Gary Graham RSS

SQL Developer 3.0  and Java SE 7?

879710 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Does SQL Developer support Java 7 or will an updated SQL Developer need to be released?
  • 1. Re: SQL Developer 3.0  and Java SE 7?
    Gary Graham Expert
    Hi,

Supposedly "Java SE 7 is strongly compatible with previous versions of the Java platform". See the official discussion of compatibility here:
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/compatibility-417013.html

That said, if one configures SQL Developer 3.0.04 to run under jdk1.7.0, a warning dialog comes up with the following disclaimer asking if you wish to proceed:

You are attempting to run with Java 1.7.0

Running this product is supported with a minimum Java
    version of 1.6.0_04 and a maximum version less than 1.7,

This product will not be supported, and may not run correctly
    if you proceed. Continue anyway?

So no guarantees from Oracle here. I haven't heard which SQL Developer version will officially support jdk1.7.0.

To try this out, you need to adjust your configuration as follows. For example on Windows do something like:

1) The sqldeveloper.conf file must SetJavaHome, e.g., SetJavaHome C:/Program Files/Java/jdk1.7.0
    2) copy "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0\bin\msvcr100.dll" to the same directory as sqldeveloper.conf.

Have fun (if you dare),
    Gary Graham
    SQL Developer Team
  • 2. Re: SQL Developer 3.0  and Java SE 7?
    760460 Newbie
    I already tried running SQL Developer using JDK 7. It starts, you can connect to databases and execute queries. However, I noticed that there is no smooth fetching of the next 50 results in the result pane, if there are more than 50 entries. It turned out to be such an important feature for me, that I went back to JDK 6.

Best regards
    lukrez
  • 3. Re: SQL Developer 3.0  and Java SE 7?
    Gary Graham Expert
    Hi lukrez,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure a supported/certified release for Java 7 will function smoothly when it comes out, but I have no idea when that will happen. Even though SQL Developer more or less runs on the new JVM, the current code base doesn't compile under it. No doubt minor differences in the language syntax are at fault, but those should be easy to deal with.

Cheers,
    Gary Graham
    SQL Developer Team
  • 4. Re: SQL Developer 3.0  and Java SE 7?
    866362 Newbie
    Another small JDK 7 bug: when you start SQLDeveloper, the Connections tab doesn't appear, you have to show it.
  • 5. Re: SQL Developer 3.0  and Java SE 7?
    860123 Newbie
    It looks like it only does this with query results (which means I'm going to have to revert as well), if you click a table and look at the data on the table's tab, it does fetch as you scroll.

Glen
  • 6. Re: SQL Developer 3.0  and Java SE 7?
    860123 Newbie
    I just downloaded sqldeveloper64-3.1.05.97-no-jre and the connection window issue has been fixed but you still can't scroll past 50 records in the query results window.

I'm using Windows 7 64bit with jdk1.7.0_01 64 bit.

Thanks!
  • 7. Re: SQL Developer 3.0  and Java SE 7?
    Gary Graham Expert
    Hi Glen,

Thanks for trying the 3.1 EA1 release and commenting. I see the same (slightly improved behavior) on Win XP with jdk1.7.0.

-Gary
  • 8. Re: SQL Developer 3.0  and Java SE 7?
    Aleksander Stopar Newbie
    You can increase the 50 records to something bigger by setting:

prefrences - database - advanced - SQL Array Fetch Size

I can live with 500 records - if i need to see more than 500 records it means that the problem (thus query) is not defined adequately, so need to rethink the problem and narrow down the result set.

However, I have another "gotcha" running SQL Developer with JDK 7: I try to use the mouse as little as possible by using keyboard shortcuts. When I'm working in the SQL Worksheet and want to navigate to connections tree, I type ALT+v (to get the View menu open) and then c (shortcut to "Connections"). But when I press the ALT+V besides opening the View menu there appears a letter "v" in the SQL Worksheet, where the cursor is positioned - the same as if I pressed just "v". This is a source of numerous errors and bugs (unintentional "v"s everywhere) and a big time consumer. This doesn't happen with JDK 1.6.X

I use SQL Developer on Fedora Linux 64bit
  • 9. Re: SQL Developer 3.0  and Java SE 7?
    Oracle-user2 Newbie
    I dared Gary Graham! tq for that fix of msvcr100.dll it set me started

tq Aleksander Stopar for the array fetch size tip....(actually ctl+end catalyzed the the next payload of >50 recs)

I'm on w2k3 ent 32 bit and so far so good!
  • 10. Re: SQL Developer 3.0  and Java SE 7?
    923526 Newbie
    Same issue here, but cannot find where to activate the Connections tab. A little help?
  • 11. Re: SQL Developer 3.0  and Java SE 7?
    Jim Smith Expert
    View | Connections
  • 12. Re: SQL Developer 3.0  and Java SE 7?
    Gary Graham Expert
    And note that Java 7 is now up to update 3 (jdk1.7.0_03). I am fairly certain any of the update releases resolve the issue of the Connections view not opening initially.
  • 13. Re: SQL Developer 3.0  and Java SE 7?
    Aleksander Stopar Newbie
    Hi!

I hoped that combination of jdk 1.7_03 and sqldeveloper 3.1 would resolve the problem of unintentional leftovers from keyboard navigation, but unfortunately - it isn't so.

Also the fetching past "array fetch size" records problem (yes, the ctrl+end works, then you can scroll with page up/down, too) is still there.

Hope this get fixed soon (especially the first one), because sqldev 3.1 runs faster and smoother with jdk 1.7_03 than with 1.6_3X. It also keeps RAM consumption under (somewhat resonable) 550MB - even with heavy usage over entire week with no restart with these additions in sqldeveloper.conf :

AddVMOption -XX:PermSize=128M               
    AddVMOption -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=50
    AddVMOption -XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=200
    AddVMOption -Xms50M
    AddVMOption -Xmx300M
    AddVMOption -XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=10
    AddVMOption -XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=10

AddVMOption -XX:+AggressiveOpts
    AddVMOption -XX:+UseStringCache
    AddVMOption -XX:+OptimizeStringConcat
    AddVMOption -XX:+ScavengeBeforeFullGC
    AddVMOption -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
    AddVMOption -XX:+UseCompressedOops

The last two options :
    +UseConcMarkSweepGC should be used only on multicore  computers and
    +UseCompressedOops should be used only on machines with 64bit operating systems

I'm no java expert, so these settings may be improved. They just work for me.
  • 14. Re: SQL Developer 3.0  and Java SE 7?
    Gary Graham Expert
    Hi Aleksander,

Thanks for the feedback on which JVM options work best for you. Some are the same as listed in the second link referenced in the following post:
    Re: Export to Excel Hangs

Please note that there is nothing new on the Java 7 front for SQL Developer. The product is still being built and tested with Java 6 for the foreseeable future.

-Gary
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points