1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 3, 2011 1:36 AM by jariola RSS

Linux, Oracle Databace 10g Express Ed installation so can run SQL Developer

Dear Oracle

I am endeavouring to run SQLDeveloper for Linux on my Netbook running Ubuntu 11.04 'Natty Narwhal' OS on an i386 architecture and have not yet been successful. I am doing this as we are using SQL Developer in my Computer Science undergraduate studies at RMIT in Melbourne, Australia. I first followed the cursory instructions on your site where I agreed to the Terms & Conditions of your license and downloaded the SQLDeveloper for Linux package. I have been tinkering with it but I can't get it to execute and open.

I then did some research on the Internet to solve this problem and found a website from a Linux user that had codified the process they went through to get SQL Developer to work. I have included a copy of the website URL for your reference:
      [http://www.kodiaktechnical.com/wordpress/?p=84|http://www.kodiaktechnical.com/wordpress/?p=84]

I have been working through the steps of this process and one of them was to install another one your, that is Oracle's, applications/tools which is: oracle-xe_10.2.0.1-1.0_i386.deb
      On running this Debian installation package for Linux my Ubuntu system opened a dialogue box which related:

"The package is of bad quality
      The installation of a package which violates the quality standards isn't allowed. This could cause serious problems on your computer. Please contact the person or organisation who provided this package file and include the details beneath.
      Details:
      Lintian check results for /tmp/oracle-xe_10.2.0.1-1.0_i386.deb:
      E: oracle-xe: file-in-usr-marked-as-conffile usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server/network/admin/listener.ora

E: oracle-xe: file-in-usr-marked-as-conffile usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server/network/admin/tnsnames.ora

E: oracle-xe: file-in-usr-marked-as-conffile usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server/config/scripts/postDBCreation.sql

E: oracle-xe: file-in-usr-marked-as-conffile usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server/config/scripts/init.ora

E: oracle-xe: file-in-usr-marked-as-conffile usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server/config/scripts/initXETemp.ora"

This dialogue box had two button options <<OK>> and <<Ignore and install>>. I have tried both but no success.

I would really appreciate some assistance.

Thanking you in anticipation
      Beauford