This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2011 3:29 AM by MagnusE RSS

EventProcessor question

MagnusE Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
I am playing around with the DelegatingBackingmapListener. I want to create a cache object that will be called with its "own" backing map events. I have got something that looks like this to compile (and work with the EntryInsertedEvent):
public class MyObject implements EventProcessor<EntryEvent<Map.Entry>> {

@Override
    public void process(EventDispatcher eventDispatcher, EntryEvent<Map.Entry> entryEvent) {
        if (entryEvent instanceof EntryInsertedEvent) {
            EntryInsertedEvent<?> insertedEvent = (EntryInsertedEvent) entryEvent;
            System.out.println("EntryInsertedEvent : " + entryEvent + ", key = " + entryEvent.getEntry().getKey() + ", value = " + entryEvent.getEntry().getValue());
        } else if (entryEvent instanceof EntryUpdatedEvent) {
            EntryUpdatedEvent<?> updatedEvent = (EntryUpdatedEvent) entryEvent;
            System.out.println("EntryUpdatedEvent : " + entryEvent + ", key = " + entryEvent.getEntry().getKey() + ", value = " + entryEvent.getEntry().getValue());
        } else if (entryEvent instanceof EntryRemovedEvent) {
            EntryRemovedEvent<?> removedEvent = (EntryRemovedEvent) entryEvent;
            System.out.println("EntryRemovedEvent : " + entryEvent + ", key = " + entryEvent.getEntry().getKey() + ", value = " + entryEvent.getEntry().getValue());
        }
        System.out.println("Dispatcher : " + eventDispatcher.toString());
    }

// More stuff here 
}
It is however not clear to me if those are the only events I can distinguish or if I somehow also can find out when the entry is evicted, moved to another node etc?

Can I specify some more "capable" interface in the generic template than EntryEvent<Map.Entry> that would give me more information?

Is there some "clearner" way to determine the event type than a bunch of "instanceof" - for instance some ID that I can "switch" on?

I find it quite hard to figure out how to use the "basic" packages of the incubator only from the existing documentation and the usage in the other incubator components is a bit to involved (for a person not familiar with the source) to be a practical source of information (this often ends up in guesses "I THINK it can be used like this" that are not always true making it time consuming).

/Magnus

Edited by: MagnusE on Aug 8, 2011 1:37 PM
  • 1. Re: EventProcessor question
    pmackin Journeyer
    Hi Magnus

I think part of the confusion is that Common has migrated to a new event model while leaving the old code for backwards compatibility. You should be using events from backing map such as:

import com.oracle.coherence.common.events.backingmap.BackingMapEntryDepartedEvent;

You do need to use instanceof for comparison. Be careful to check for BackingMapEntryDepartedEvent before BackingMapEntryRemovedEvent since a ..DepartedEvent is a RemovedEvent. The same is true for BackingMapEntryArrivedEvent which should be checked before BackingMapEntryInsertedEvent.

Make sure you use EntryEvent from

import com.oracle.coherence.common.events.EntryEvent;

This event has the old and new entries.

Paul
  • 2. Re: EventProcessor question
    MagnusE Explorer
    Thanks for the info. I am now trying the following little debug code that seem to work:
    public class ServiceObject implements EventProcessor<EntryEvent<BinaryEntry>>, PortableObject {
      public void process(EventDispatcher eventDispatcher, EntryEvent<BinaryEntry> entryEvent) {
                if (entryEvent instanceof BackingMapEntryArrivedEvent) {
                    BackingMapEntryArrivedEvent arrivedEvent = (BackingMapEntryArrivedEvent) entryEvent;
                    System.out.println("Arrived: " + arrivedEvent);
                    return;
                } else if (entryEvent instanceof BackingMapEntryInsertedEvent) {
                    BackingMapEntryInsertedEvent insertedEvent = (BackingMapEntryInsertedEvent) entryEvent;
                    System.out.println("Inserted: " + insertedEvent);
                    return;
                }
            } else if (entryEvent instanceof BackingMapEntryRemovedEvent) {
                if (entryEvent instanceof BackingMapEntryDepartedEvent) {
                    BackingMapEntryDepartedEvent departedEvent = (BackingMapEntryDepartedEvent) entryEvent;
                    System.out.println("Departed: " + departedEvent);
                    return;
                } else if (entryEvent instanceof BackingMapEntryEvictedEvent) {
                    BackingMapEntryEvictedEvent evictedEvent = (BackingMapEntryEvictedEvent) entryEvent;
                    System.out.println("Evicted: " + evictedEvent);
                    return;
                }
            } else if (entryEvent instanceof EntryUpdatedEvent) {
                if (entryEvent instanceof BackingMapEntryUpdatedEvent) {
                    BackingMapEntryUpdatedEvent updatedEvent = (BackingMapEntryUpdatedEvent) entryEvent;
                    System.out.println("Updated: " + updatedEvent);
                    return;
                }
            }
            System.out.println("Unknown EventType " + entryEvent.getClass().getName());
            throw new IllegalArgumentException("Unknown EventType " + entryEvent.getClass().getName());
        }
    }
    Is it correct to use the generic parameters the way I do or is there some more appropriate interfaces/classes I can use?

/Magnus
  • 3. Re: EventProcessor question
    MagnusE Explorer
    What about when an object is deleted from the cache - will this not cause any event to be sent to the object or does this also result in an "evicted" event?

/Magnus
  • 4. Re: EventProcessor question
    pmackin Journeyer
    Hi Magnus

A delete will result in a BackingMapEntryRemovedEvent. I am not sure if that answers your question.

Paul
  • 5. Re: EventProcessor question
    MagnusE Explorer
    Thanks a lot it sure did - I had missed one level of interfaces/classes but now I think I got it :-)
       if (entryEvent instanceof BackingMapEntryArrivedEvent) {
          System.out.println("Arrived!");
          return;
       } else if (entryEvent instanceof BackingMapEntryInsertedEvent) {
          System.out.println("Inserted!");
          return;
       }
    } else if (entryEvent instanceof EntryRemovedEvent) {
       if (entryEvent instanceof BackingMapEntryDepartedEvent) {
          System.out.println("Departed!");
          return;