This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2011 4:19 PM by 884922 RSS

JRL Questions

884922 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

I am a bit confused on the following portion of the license. I would like to start a project that allows a C++ programmer to access the JDK via the JNI (like a wrapper). I am debating as to whether I need to base my code on the OpenJDK or JDK6.

III. RESEARCH USE RIGHTS.

A. License Grant. Subject to the conditions contained herein, Sun
grants to You a non-exclusive, non-transferable, worldwide, and
royalty-free license to do the following for Your Research Use only:

1. Reproduce, create Modifications of, and use the Technology
alone, or with Modifications;

2. Share source code of the Technology alone, or with
Modifications, with other Licensees; and

3. Distribute object code of the Technology, alone, or with
Modifications, to any third parties for Research Use only, under a
license of Your choice that is consistent with this License; and
publish papers and books discussing the Technology which may include
relevant excerpts that do not in the aggregate constitute a
significant portion of the Technology.

I would really appreciate if you could tell me whether I need to base my code on the OpenJDK or if I can use JDK 6. Here are some more details about the project I am starting.

- Includes comments that will be generated using Doxygen. Documentation will be equivalent to OpenJDK or JDK 6.
- The source code, documentation, and resulting DLL will be distributed free of charge.

- C++ will be direct port of JDK 6 or OpenJDK using the JNI. In other words, int hashCode (in Java) will be replaced by jint hashCode (in C++), public class Object (in Java) will become class Object (in C++), etc.

What does "under a license of Your choice that is consistent with this License" mean? Can you give an example of an additional license that might be applicable?

I might also like to modify and sell a version of the JDK if possible. How much would it cost to distribute a C++ translation of JDK 6 or 7? Would I be paying an annual fee, purchasing a license for each individual copy I distribute, or paying a royalty fee for each copy that I sell? Would the Oracle Partner Program allow me to distribute a modified version of Java?

Thank you for your time. If you think these questions would do better in another thread, please let me know.
  • 1. Re: JRL Questions
    EJP Guru
    I don't think you've described your project correctly. It isn't a 'port' of a JDK at all. It is a wrapper around the JRE. Otherwise what does JNI have to do with it? So you are just writing C++ code and some JNI that eventually talks to a JRE. So if you do it right, you don't actually care which JRE is underneath: either of those should work; you don't have to distribute the JRE itself at all, you can use whatever the user has installed as long as the version agrees; so you aren't bound by the JRE licence at all as far as I can see, only by your own licence for your own code.
  • 2. Re: JRL Questions
    884922 Newbie
    I don't think you've described your project correctly. It isn't a 'port' of a JDK at all. It is a wrapper around the JRE.
    Yes, I apologize for describing it as a 'port' when it is in fact a 'wrapper'.
    you can use whatever the user has installed as long as the version agrees; so you aren't bound by the JRE LICENCE at all as far as I can see, only by your own licence for your own code.
    That would be fantastic. I am happy to mark this thread as answered, but I would appreciate the opinion of others as well. Thanks for the response EJP :)
  • 3. Re: JRL Questions
    EJP Guru
    Well no need to apologize, but it shows that understanding what you're doing, and describing it correctly to yourself, solves many a problem you do have, and eliminates many a problem you only think you have, because you misled yourself.
  • 4. Re: JRL Questions
    884922 Newbie
    Yay, I just got the following code to work!

// Create and set up the window.
         JFrame* frame = new JFrame("HelloWorldSwing");

// Add the ubiquitous "Hello World" label.
         JLabel* label = new JLabel("Hello World");
         frame->getContentPane()->add(label);

// Display the window
         frame->pack();
         frame->setVisible(true);

Now that I know how to write the wrapper, I will be writing a translator in ANTLR to speed up the process. In case you're curious, I have decided to apply the MIT license to this project. Thanks again EJP.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points