This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2011 5:38 AM by juancarlosreyesp RSS

new free Runtime license for Oracle xe, and more features

juancarlosreyesp Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
This comment is related to the other post, but is different.

Why oracle don't have a free runtime license like Ms Access.
Maybe having more restrictions, allowing several instance at a time.
Having more features to make easier to install for small programs.

Thinking to write an small application I ask my self why an Oracle dba, can't use Oracle as the end database, and I have to use Ms Access.

Maybe the size of the database could be reduced, and not include apex, I think could even block database procedures, but to enable an option, please.

I ask to Oracle, to please think a solution to replace msaccess runtime, etc., making easier the install, desintall, etc. for very very very small databases.

Thanks.
  • 1. Re: new free Runtime license for Oracle xe, and more features
    Udo Guru
    Hello,

though I'm not an Oracle representative, I have an opinion on your request I want to share with you.
    Oracle Database has some features which by design won't allow easy embedding. Disabling those features isn't really easy and you wouldn't look at just some features less but at a software that behaves differently in wide areas. What would be the advantage to use it?
    I don't think you have to use MS Access, though. There are small embeddable databases available, even from Oracle (Oracle Berkeley DB to name one). So why should Oracle re-invent the wheel by downgrading a full-featured database that long that it is embeddable when other projects started to support this by design already?

-Udo
  • 2. Re: new free Runtime license for Oracle xe, and more features
    juancarlosreyesp Newbie
    Thanks,
    Maybe could be to enable a free runtime license for oracle berkley.
    I'm not sure.

I'm only pointing to Oracle they don't have a product for free runtime database for small software.
    If they are interested they could do something otherwise, the best choice by now is ms access.

Or maybe they have a solution or another idea for this.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points