This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 22, 2011 1:49 AM by 879348 RSS

Java3D Coordinates

880406 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I am looking for some advice on Java3D coordinates. As far as I understand, a Point 3f's x, y, and z are specified between -1.0f and 1.0f. I am modelling a terrain and I currently have to convert my terrain x, y, and z's to between -1.0f and 1.0f. To me, this is effectively doubling the number of floats I am using in memory.

Am I looking at this correctly? or, is there another way to handle Java3D coordinates I haven't fount yet?

Thanks in advance
Eban
  • 1. Re: Java3D Coordinates
    879348 Newbie
    There are no such bouds to a point3f value.
    regards
    jfp
  • 2. Re: Java3D Coordinates
    880406 Newbie
    Well jfp, I am not sure your answer is helpful. I will explain differently ...

Following the AxisApp example from the tutorial, the following code creates the x-axis:

// create line for X axis
    LineArray axisXLines = new LineArray(2, LineArray.COORDINATES );
    axisBG.addChild(new Shape3D(axisXLines));
    axisXLines.setCoordinate(0, new Point3f(-1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f));
    axisXLines.setCoordinate(1, new Point3f( 1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f));

If I were to change the values of the Point3f's to be below -1 then the x-axis would no longer be visible.

// create line for X axis
    LineArray axisXLines = new LineArray(2, LineArray.COORDINATES );
    axisBG.addChild(new Shape3D(axisXLines));
    axisXLines.setCoordinate(0, new Point3f(-3.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f));
    axisXLines.setCoordinate(1, new Point3f(-2.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f));

To me, this implies that the values must be between -1 and 1 for all x, y, z. Is this true? Or, is there another way to specify what the min and max can be?

The reason I ask is that I have many x, y, z's that are not in the -1 -> 1 range. So, do I need to convert (scale) them so they will appear? I was hoping a BoundingBox may help but didn't.
  • 3. Re: Java3D Coordinates
    880406 Newbie
    Bump,

Has anyone got an answer for this?

Thanks
    Eban
  • 4. Re: Java3D Coordinates
    888425 Newbie
    hi,
    just saw your Post but sorry I don't have a solution to your problem.
    Yes, the coordinate system for Point3f lies between -1.0f to 1.0f along each axis (at least when your Canvas is added in JFrame :-P)
    I also made Java3D app and in my case I have to use coordinate values as double because of the no. of geometries I made are calculated and drawn precisely and in a fraction of second. I saw some sample Java3D apps and found that most developers used Point3f. but in your case I think you need to scale them accordingly. best way is to figure out a constant conversion factor.

PS: I noticed that 3D apps are not meant to be memory efficient but they should be performance efficient.

Haris
  • 5. Re: Java3D Coordinates
    879348 Newbie
    Jfp again
    Sorry for my late response (and I hope better than the first).
    Here is how I understand your problem :
    You want to figure some terrain but you can see only a part of it because as soon as you increase the terrain <<size>>, it is drawn out of the sceen.
    Of course you could insert in your terrain graph some transform to size it. It would work as a zoom function.
    In true life, to look at landcsape, we move and turn our head.
    Here is some code to perform viewpoint move with mouse :
    1-a viewing platform must be defined and moved back a bit :

ViewPlat=u.getViewingPlatform(); // get universe view
    ViewPlat.setNominalViewingTransform(); // make one step backward

2- define an orbit behavior and branch it to ViewingPlatform :

camMove = new OrbitBehavior();
    camMove.setSchedulingBounds(behaveBounds);
    ViewPlat.setViewPlatformBehavior(camMove);
    camMove.setEnable(false); // turned off because not always running

If other mouse behaviors are used(PickRotate, translate...), turn them off before using OrbitBehavior and camMove enabled.

If you branch the ViewingPlatform to a RotPosPathInterpolator, the viewpoint will move between defined points, making an animation. But this is another story.
    You can find code (i hope usefull) here [http://cliper.pagesperso-orange.fr/launchen.html] . Get the JAR (NetBeans project) which could help you.
    Please do not try launching app because of bug with JavaWebStart.
    Feel free if you need further help.
    Regards
    jfp

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points