7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2011 11:08 AM by 884740 RSS

No acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

Hi guys
      I am new in linux, I have oracle linux 6 only in command promt mode.

I wanna to install gcc in my linux, but when I execute configure file (./configure) in gcc folder, it shows this error "No acceptable C compiler found in $PATH" :(

please help me how can I solve this ?
        • 1. Re: No acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
          LenzGrimmer
          I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish. Are you trying to install gcc by compiling it from source? Then you might run into a "chicken and egg" problem here - you need a compiler in order to compile gcc :)

However, this should not be necessary, as gcc is included as a pre-compiled package in the distribution. "yum install gcc" should install it.
          • 2. Re: No acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
            actually I download gcc-4.6.1.tar.gz ,then extract it in/tmp dir and finally try to execute configure file, but it shows that error :(
            Also i tried "yum install gcc", but it reply no package gcc available :(

then what should i do ?

you know I wanna to install "make" and it also says same error "No acceptable C compiler found in $PATH", then I decide to install "gcc" and ... :(
            • 3. Re: No acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
              Catch 22
              The packages you need are available from the installation DVD, Oracle ULN subscription or public yum following the setup instructions on http://public-yum.oracle.com.
              I am new in linux, I have oracle linux 6 only in command promt mode.
              I suggest to reinstall the OS, but next time, customize the packages. There is a "customize now" ratio button, that will allow you to select a GUI desktop such as gnome or kde, and you can also include the development packages you need including gcc and others.

Stay with Oracle Linux 5 if you plan to install Oracle database. OL 6 is not certified yet and there is no "oracle-validated" package that will help you to setup prerequisites in order to install Oracle database.
              • 4. Re: No acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
                first I should thank for your recommendation, i don't want to use GUI, i want to try with the command line syntax to improve my self more ;), by the way i wanna know more about the "yum" could you tell me what is this exactly ? also i tried

how can I install gcc.rpm from OL dvd ?

now I got a new problem, i tried this command "+rpm -Uhv /mnt/cdrom/Packages/gcc-4.4.5-6.e16.x86_64.rpm+" to execute "gcc" package but unbelievable it says "no such file or directory " !! i check the file spell several time and it is correct, I put the screen shot of this here, can you tell me why and what i should do ?

[http://postimage.org/image/ptufsikk/]

[http://postimage.org/image/pu11xwjo/]
                • 5. Re: No acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
                  Catch 22
                  You have a wrong filename: It is not gcc-4.4.5-6.e *16* .x86_64.rpm. It's gcc-4.4.5-6.e l6 .x86_64.rpm (not e16 but EL6 lowercase). EL means Enterprise Linux.

You can normally hit the tab key for filename completion.
                  • 6. Re: No acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
                    LenzGrimmer
                    You have a typo in your command: rpm -Uhv /mnt/cdrom/Packages/gcc-4.4.5-6.e*1*6.x86_64.rpm -> this should be a small "L" instead: rpm -Uhv /mnt/cdrom/Packages/gcc-4.4.5-6.el6.x86_64.rpm

By the way, to avoid such typos, let the shell take care of expanding the file name, simply type "gcc-" and press the "Tab" key.
                    • 7. Re: No acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
                      At end I use the rpm command and install all packages with their prerequisite, then i have gcc :)