This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2013 1:25 AM by NielsD RSS

ORA-28547: connection to server failed, probable Oracle Net admin error

710906 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

Using SQL Plus to connect to a remote database (over which I am just a DB client), I am getting the connection error:

FACTS:
(1) I have recently downloaded the Oracle InstantClient 11_2:
instantclient-sqlplus-nt-11.2.0.2.0.zip
instantclient-basiclite-nt-11.2.0.2.0.zip

(2) sqlplus -version prints out:
SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.2.0 Production

(3) the target oracle database is online and accessible, using SQL Developer I am able to query the database

(4) I do not believe that my connection descriptor is wrong, in fact, I believe that the probability of the problem being in my connect descriptor is border-line impossible, for the following reasons:

(4.1) I obtained the connect descriptor using the TNSPING tool (I queried the OID-LDAP server, which resolved the OID name into a connection descriptor

(4.2) Afterwards, running the command:
"sqlplus USER/PWD@(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=targetHost)(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=targetSID)))"
I obtained the connection error "ORA-28547: connection to server failed, probable Oracle Net admin error"

(4.3) As to ensure that the targetSID is correct (which I know for a fact that it is), I have also tried running the command listed in 4.2 with a completely random dummy SID, as a result, I obtained the following comprehensible error:
"ERROR:
ORA-12505: TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect
descriptor"

Theferefore, I assume that in 4.2 the TNS listener recognized the SID that I was giving it, and, further more, the SID is servicing, since, after all, I am connected to this database using SQL Developer.

(4.4) Finally, I have also monitored the TNS protocol interactions during connection setup using Wireshark.
I've Retrieved the connect descriptor used by SQL Developer, which is of the form:
(DESCRIPTION=(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=targetSID)(CID=(PROGRAM=)(HOST=__jdbc__)(USER=null)))(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=targetHOST)(PORT=1521)))

Again, I have tried using this connect descriptor, but, once more, I have obtained the "ORA-28547: connection to server failed, probable Oracle Net admin error "

(5) I have run out of ideas.
What I can say is that when I try to connect via SQL Plus and fail, the TNS monitored interaction is as follows:
tns connection request,
tns connection accept,
tns marker attention.

From the v$parameter table i can infer the following relevant information:
compatible     11.2.0.0.0
dispatchers     (PROTOCOL=TCP) (SERVICE=<targetSID>XDB)
local_listener     (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=targetHOST)(PORT=1521))))
nls_language     PORTUGUESE

Note:
I even thought that during connection configuration SQLPLUS may be disconnecting from the server from incompatible NLS Language configurations, as I am using it in American, but when I put it in PORTUGUESE by defining the necessary windows global variable, the ORA 28547 continues to occur.

Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem might be?
Is it possible ot SQL Plus connect to ORACLE by means of the JDBC driver + JDBC url?

Thank you.

Edited by: sono99 on Jul 29, 2011 11:38 PM
  • 1. Re: ORA-28547: connection to server failed, probable Oracle Net admin error
    P.Forstmann Guru
    What is 4 digits Oracle database version ? What is the OS used by database server ?

If you can connect to database server, you should check listener.ora and listener.log.
    $ oerr ora 28547
    28547, 0000, "connection to server failed, probable Oracle Net admin error"
    // *Cause:   A failure occurred during initialization of a network connection
    //           from a client process to the Oracle server:  The connection
    //           was completed but a disconnect occurred while trying to
    //           perform protocol-specific initialization, usually due to
    //           use of different network protocols by opposite sides
    //           of the connection.  This usually is caused by incorrect
    //           Oracle Net administrative setup for database links or external
    //           procedure calls.   The most frequent specific causes are:
    //           --  The connection uses a connect string which refers
    //               to a Heterogeneous Services agent instead of
    //               an Oracle server.
    //           --  The connection uses a connect string which includes
    //               an (HS=) specification.
    // *Action:  Check Oracle Net administration in the following ways:
    //           --  When using TNSNAMES.ORA or an Oracle Names server, make sure
    //               that the client connection to the ORACLE server uses
    //               the correct service name or SID.
    //           --  Check LISTENER.ORA on the connection end point's host machine
    //               to assure that this service name or SID refers
    //               to the correct server.
    //           --  Confirm in TNSNAMES.ORA or the equivalent service definition
    //               that the connect string does NOT contain (HS=).
    //
  • 2. Re: ORA-28547: connection to server failed, probable Oracle Net admin error
    710906 Newbie
    Hello,

The Oracle version is the following:
    Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.2.0 - 64bit Production
    PL/SQL Release 11.2.0.2.0 - Production
    "CORE     11.2.0.2.0     Production"
    TNS for Linux: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production
    NLSRTL Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production

As for the Operating System that is being used, I have no direct way of knowing it, as I do not have any other means of accessing the machine other than by SQL Developer.
    Looking at the TNS traffic I have determined that the target machine is running a Linux X86_64.
    Other than that, I do not know.

Edited by: sono99 on Jul 30, 2011 3:06 AM
  • 3. Re: ORA-28547: connection to server failed, probable Oracle Net admin error
    orafad Oracle ACE
    On the client host/Windows pc, what are all current and previous Oracle installations other than the instantclient unzipped?

Environment variable PATH setting? (I.e. use: set path)

What does the following command give (besides pw prompt)?

cmd> sqlplus user@'host:port/dbservice'
  • 4. Re: ORA-28547: connection to server failed, probable Oracle Net admin error
    710906 Newbie
    Hello,

My windows 7 client host has never had any oracle DB installed. There is only the instant client.
    My Windows Path:
    C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\ProgramFiles\TortoiseSVN\bin;D:\Sono99\My Applications\Putty;C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin;D:\Sono99\My Applications\SQL_PLUS_instantclient_11_2

Note:
    The folder path "D:\Sono99\My Applications\SQL_PLUS_instantclient_11_2" is where I have extracted the contents of both ZIP files mentioned in my first email.

As for the command you mentioned, running it produced the same error:
    Copyright (c) 1982, 2010, Oracle. All rights reserved.

ERROR:

However, if instead of using the <SERVICE_NAME> In the connection descriptor I use <SERVICE_NAME>XDB, I obtain the following error:
    SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.2.0 Production on Sat Jul 30 12:42:49 2011

Copyright (c) 1982, 2010, Oracle. All rights reserved.

ERROR:
    ORA-12518: TNS:listener could not hand off client connection.

Edited by: sono99 on Jul 30, 2011 4:45 AM

Edited by: sono99 on Jul 30, 2011 4:46 AM
  • 5. Re: ORA-28547: connection to server failed, probable Oracle Net admin error
    sb92075 Guru
    It is not clear to me how many physical system exist or what OS name & version involved.

Is any type of Operating System Virtualization installed on any system.

What clues exist within listener log file?
  • 6. Re: ORA-28547: connection to server failed, probable Oracle Net admin error
    885703 Newbie
    I am also having the same issue...

I have a another client on version 11.2.0.1.0... Its working with that...

Maybe you can try install Oracle Inst Client 11.2.0.1.0 to see if you can connect using the SQLPLUS bundled.

Fingers crossed. =)
  • 7. Re: ORA-28547: connection to server failed, probable Oracle Net admin error
    885703 Newbie
    I am also having the same issue...

I have a another client on version 11.2.0.1.0... Its working with that...

Maybe you can try install Oracle Inst Client 11.2.0.1.0 to see if you can connect using the SQLPLUS bundled.

Fingers crossed. =)
  • 8. Re: ORA-28547: connection to server failed, probable Oracle Net admin error
    885703 Newbie
    I found out the problem...

You are using instant client lite version... this version only supports characterset:
    Single-byte character sets include US7ASCII, WE8DEC, WE8MSWIN1252, and WE8ISO8859P1.
    Unicode character sets include UTF8, AL16UTF16, and AL32UTF8.

Most likely your characterset is non of the above.
    Can check using this command:
    SELECT * FROM nls_database_parameters WHERE parameter = 'NLS_CHARACTERSET';

Can read more about this from here...
    http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b31189/apd.htm

cheers!!!
  • 9. Re: ORA-28547: connection to server failed, probable Oracle Net admin error
    NielsD Newbie

The character set and the basic-lite package was exactly my problem :-)

Thx.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points