1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2012 3:57 AM by Avi Miller-Oracle RSS

OVM 3 - Please wait while system is initializing

Hi,
      I have create a server pool and want to add my 3 servers in this pool, after a long time 2 servers fails to add and 1 was add but with status «Stopped (error)»

Now when I try to remove or add servers to pool I have this error

Please wait while system is initializing
      Wed Sep 07 19:45:49 EDT 2011

ADF_FACES-60097:For more information, please see the server's error log for an entry beginning with: ADF_FACES-60096:Server Exception during PPR, #3

I have wait 1 hour and still have this message, what can I do to correct this ?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: OVM 3 - Please wait while system is initializing
          Avi Miller-Oracle
          DG wrote:
          I have wait 1 hour and still have this message, what can I do to correct this ?
          Log an SR with Oracle Support so they can troubleshoot why the servers didn't get added to the pool and why the Manager is now stuck. I'm guessing you probably have some unknown objects left in your database.
          • 3. Re: OVM 3 - Please wait while system is initializing
            Usually you have to wait for about 2-5 minutes after restart the Oracle VM Manager services. Then the error message will go away automatically.
            • 4. Re: OVM 3 - Please wait while system is initializing
              Hi DG,

How do you solve this problem?

Weird, now I have the same problem after rebooted the Oracle VM Manager today.

I can the the error message as below but I have no idea how to solve it.
              /u01/app/oracle/ovm-manager-3/machine1/base_adf_domain/servers/AdminServer/logs/AdminServer-diagnostic.log
              • 5. Re: OVM 3 - Please wait while system is initializing
                I have reinstalled all my servers (ovm manager & ovm server)
                • 6. Re: OVM 3 - Please wait while system is initializing
                  budachst
                  Did you manage to keep your pool and your setup?
                  I'd maybe inclined to give it a try, but I do have already too many things setup in OVM 3 to be willing to throw it all away and start completly new.
                  • 7. Re: OVM 3 - Please wait while system is initializing
                    Avi Miller-Oracle
                    budachst wrote:
                    Did you manage to keep your pool and your setup?
                    I'd maybe inclined to give it a try, but I do have already too many things setup in OVM 3 to be willing to throw it all away and start completly new.
                    As long as you re-install with the same UUID as the existing manager, you will be able to import all your existing configurations, servers, pools and repositories into a newly installed Manager. I do this for testing on nearly a daily basis and it works really well. You can find the UUID in /u01/app/oracle/ovm-manager-3/.config

Use the -u parameter to pass the UUID to runInstaller.sh.
                    • 8. Re: OVM 3 - Please wait while system is initializing
                      budachst
                      So, to re-install OVM 3 Manager, is it advised to uninstall OVM 3 Manager first, or will this affect the current VM servers.
                      I guess what I want to know is: is it safe to uninstall OVM 3 Manager and re-install OVM 3 Manager while there are guests running on the VM servers?
                      • 9. Re: OVM 3 - Please wait while system is initializing
                        chris.baron
                        jlchannel wrote:
                        Hi DG,

How do you solve this problem?

Weird, now I have the same problem after rebooted the Oracle VM Manager today.

I can the the error message as below but I have no idea how to solve it.
                        /u01/app/oracle/ovm-manager-3/machine1/base_adf_domain/servers/AdminServer/logs/AdminServer-diagnostic.log
                        There's also the AdminServer.log to scan. I don't know if this will solve your problem, but I too had the same problem with my VM Manager (running in a VirtualBox VM on my machine, whilst the VM servers are running bare metal) after restarting it. After scanning the log I noticed that there was a complaint of time drift between the OS and the DB so I did an ntpdate -u , restarted the system and upon re-accessing the Manager, all was well again. It might have been a magic number of restarts that fixed it rather than the time adjustment, but I had rebooted about 3 times prior to this with no luck.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
                        Chris
                        • 10. Re: OVM 3 - Please wait while system is initializing
                          Avi Miller-Oracle
                          chris.baron wrote:
                          There's also the AdminServer.log to scan. I don't know if this will solve your problem, but I too had the same problem with my VM Manager (running in a VirtualBox VM on my machine, whilst the VM servers are running bare metal) after restarting it. After scanning the log I noticed that there was a complaint of time drift between the OS and the DB so I did an ntpdate -u , restarted the system and upon re-accessing the Manager, all was well again.
                          Yes, time sync is quite important for the Oracle VM Manager for a few reasons: firstly, to align stats received by all the Oracle VM Servers to manage policies in the pool, also Oracle VM Manager is automatically configured as an NTP time source for Oracle VM Servers that are discovered, so it's worthwhile trying to run Oracle VM Manager all the time as a reference time source in your environment.
                          • 11. Re: OVM 3 - Please wait while system is initializing
                            chris.baron
                            Avi Miller wrote:
                            chris.baron wrote:
                            There's also the AdminServer.log to scan. I don't know if this will solve your problem, but I too had the same problem with my VM Manager (running in a VirtualBox VM on my machine, whilst the VM servers are running bare metal) after restarting it. After scanning the log I noticed that there was a complaint of time drift between the OS and the DB so I did an ntpdate -u , restarted the system and upon re-accessing the Manager, all was well again.
                            Yes, time sync is quite important for the Oracle VM Manager for a few reasons: firstly, to align stats received by all the Oracle VM Servers to manage policies in the pool, also Oracle VM Manager is automatically configured as an NTP time source for Oracle VM Servers that are discovered, so it's worthwhile trying to run Oracle VM Manager all the time as a reference time source in your environment.
                            Ah, gotcha. Well then, I might have to move from using openfiler on third server to a proper linux host using tgt to export iscsi luns and run the Manager there. My workstation is a little less stable/static than a proper sandbox server :-)

Thanks Avi.

Cheers,
                            Chris
                            • 12. Re: OVM 3 - Please wait while system is initializing
                              Avi Miller-Oracle
                              chris.baron wrote:
                              Ah, gotcha. Well then, I might have to move from using openfiler on third server to a proper linux host using tgt to export iscsi luns and run the Manager there. My workstation is a little less stable/static than a proper sandbox server :-)
                              My name is Avi Miller and I approve of this message. :) Though, I would possibly run VirtualBox on that third server so you can run both OpenFiler and Oracle VM Manager. Or perhaps a single Oracle VM 2.2 instance? A PVM guest makes an excellent time source if it has upstream NTP servers configured. Also, there are PVM DomU filesystem images for OpenFiler that work quite well on Oracle VM 2.2.
                              • 13. Re: OVM 3 - Please wait while system is initializing
                                I have the same error "Please wait while system is initializing". I have two VM Servers in the 3.0.1 pool and running VMs. Can I re-install VM Manager without stopping my VMs?
                                • 14. Re: OVM 3 - Please wait while system is initializing
                                  budachst
                                  Totally yes - uninstalling OVMM won't affect your currently running VMs in any way.

Just be sure, that you have noted down the current UUID of your OVM manager. You can find it here:

cat /u01/app/oracle/ovm-manager-3/.config

Afterwards uninstall OVMM and re-install OVMM like this: ./runInstaller.sh -u <previous UUID>
                                  I have done it twice now and it always worked like a charme.

Cheers
                                  1 2 Previous Next