7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2011 10:33 AM by 696488 RSS

Oracle Apex Version control

Hello All,

I have seen a lot of threads on Oracle Apex, version control and subversion. However, I still didn't find the information I need.

I have recently started working on Apex and currently we have only the Dev environment setup for this. I am using Oracle Apex version 4.0.2.00.06.
      I would like to know how to use subversion for version control of Apex applications. I know that there is a export/import feature available to export/import the entire application. But, I guess this is not what I am looking for. I am looking for the following

- if I changed a query/ template/ chart colors in one page of the application, how can I create a version of just this one page and how to transfer just this one change from Test to Dev/Prod environment. Or could you please let me know how do you manage these changes and merge changes from one environment to another (Ex: From Test to Dev)
      - I have heard in one of the forums that Apex 4 comes with built in version control. However, I couldn't find any information related to this. Could you please provide more information on this.

I really appreciate your input/help regarding this.

Thanks in Advance
        • 1. Re: Oracle Apex Version control
          TexasApexDeveloper
          APEX does NOT really have version control in the normal sense.. You can LOCK pages so that NO developer but you can access/change them, but the idea of version control and linking with SVN is still in the works...

SQL Developer DOES has have a SVN client built, and could be used to handle application level version control...

Thank you,

Tony Miller
          Webster, TX

Time flies like the wind, but fruit flies like bananas.

If this question is answered, please mark the thread as closed and assign points where earned..
          • 2. Re: Oracle Apex Version control
            Tony,

Thanks for the reply. So, how do you manage changes at the page level? Ex: If I change something in one page of the aplication and tomorrow I don't want the changes done today, how can I revert back to previous version? I need to manually revert back the changes again? The same question applys for Test to Dev migration. How to migrate the changes from one environment to other at the page level.

You have mentioned SQL Developer does have a SVN client built. Could you please let me know how can I use this with Apex? Any documentation/links would be helpful.

Thanks!
            • 3. Re: Oracle Apex Version control
              AndyPol
              >

>
              - if I changed a query/ template/ chart colors in one page of the application, how can I create a version of just this one page and how to transfer just this one change from Test to Dev/Prod environment. Or could you please let me know how do you manage these changes and merge changes from one environment to another (Ex: From Test to Dev)
              If your Test and Dev environments in the same Workspace you can export page from Test and import it to Dev. You can also migrating pages between workspaces if thay have the same Workspace ID.
              - I have heard in one of the forums that Apex 4 comes with built in version control. However, I couldn't find any information related to this. Could you please provide more information on this.
              Apex don't have built in version control. Yes you can create app version number (Application Attributes) dynamic number is generating only from date (last changes). You have to set YYYY.MM.DD in Version field. Substitution string to this variable is #APP_VERSION#

Regards
              • 4. Re: Oracle Apex Version control
                TexasApexDeveloper
                To be honest, when we migrate an app from dev to qa, even with or two page changes, we migrate the whole app over, giving it a new app id on most occasions..

Thank you,

Tony Miller
                Webster, TX

I cried because I did not have an office with a door until I met a man who had no cubicle.
                -Dilbert

If this question is answered, please mark the thread as closed and assign points where earned..
                • 5. Re: Oracle Apex Version control
                  TexasApexDeveloper
                  To be honest, when we migrate an app from dev to qa, even with or two page changes, we migrate the whole app over, giving it a new app id on most occasions..

Thank you,

Tony Miller
                  Webster, TX

I cried because I did not have an office with a door until I met a man who had no cubicle.
                  -Dilbert

• 6. Re: Oracle Apex Version control
                    fac586
                    user11049754 wrote:
                    Hello All,

I have seen a lot of threads on Oracle Apex, version control and subversion. However, I still didn't find the information I need.

I have recently started working on Apex and currently we have only the Dev environment setup for this. I am using Oracle Apex version 4.0.2.00.06.
                    I would like to know how to use subversion for version control of Apex applications. I know that there is a export/import feature available to export/import the entire application. But, I guess this is not what I am looking for.
                    You can use the App Builder GUI export tools or the <tt>APEXExport</tt> command line tool (as described in John Scott's blog post) to export the entire app, then use the <tt>APEXExportSplitter</tt> utility to split the export into separate component-level files that can be managed using SVN.

At least that's the theory. I encountered a bug ({thread:id=2135062}) that brought our exploration of this to a halt. John claimed to be using this successfully (maybe there was something app-specific about the bug)&mdash;and he never got round to writing the follow-up piece on <tt>APEXExportSplitter</tt>.
                    how can I create a version of just this one page and how to transfer just this one change from Test to Dev/Prod environment.
                    Page exports can be exchanged between workspaces and applications with the same IDs: {thread:id=1045166}
                    So, how do you manage changes at the page level? Ex: If I change something in one page of the aplication and tomorrow I don't want the changes done today, how can I revert back to previous version?
                    Build Options.

Please update your forum profile with a real handle instead of "user11049754".
                    • 7. Re: Oracle Apex Version control
                      Thanks again Tony and fac586. I will research further on this.