6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2011 2:24 AM by 891006 RSS

Where to running SQL Scripts after install of ODAC for Oracle Client?

dbaTony
      I just installed ODAC for Oracle Client on a windows server, that runs a sql server database, for developers to connect a web app to an Oracle/Unix database. The install states to run SQL scripts located in the $ORACLE_HOME\ASP.NET\SQL directory after the install. I'm not sure where to run them? On the ORACLE DB on the Unix server? If someone could bring me up to speed I would appreciate it. Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Where to running SQL Scripts after install of ODAC for Oracle Client?
          gdarling - oracle
          You'd run them on the Oracle database server, but they're only needed if you're using the Oracle Providers for ASP.NET.

If you're just installing the software so you can use OLEDB with SQL Server Linked Server for example, you don't need them. What you DO need to run though if that is the case is the oramtsadmin.sql script which creates the objects used by the Oracle MTS Recovery Service (if you dont already have those objects created on the database) as SQLServer uses distributed transactions for the Oracle connections I believe.

Hope it helps,
          Greg
          • 2. Re: Where to running SQL Scripts after install of ODAC for Oracle Client?
            dbaTony
            If I do run the scripts, do you know what user they should be run as? The developer are using ASP.NET for connectivity.
            • 3. Re: Where to running SQL Scripts after install of ODAC for Oracle Client?
              We've got the same question - what is Oracle's considered "best practice" for where to install the Oracle Providers for ASP.NET database objects?
              • 4. Re: Where to running SQL Scripts after install of ODAC for Oracle Client?
                If I do run the scripts, do you know what user they should be run as? The developer are using ASP.NET for connectivity.

Why there is no Oracle Expert answer this simple question? ?

After ODAC 11.1.0.7.20 installation completed, there is a message in the last screen:
                *"Run the SQL script located in c:\app\Administrator\product\11.1.0\client_1\ASP.NET\SQL directory for a new installation or an upgrade of Oracle Providers for ASP.NET"*

The question is: How to run these 9 SQL scripts ?
                In SQL*Plus, which oracle user should I connect to in order to run these 9 scrips, including:

InstallAllOracleASPNETProviders.sql
                InstallOracleASPNETCommon.sql
                InstallOracleMembership.sql
                InstallOraclePersonalization.sql
                InstallOracleProfile.sql
                InstallOracleRoles.sql
                InstallOracleSessionState.sql
                InstallOracleSiteMap.sql
                InstallOracleWebEvents.sql
                • 5. Re: Where to running SQL Scripts after install of ODAC for Oracle Client?
                  RamaniNJ
                  Hi:

Was your question ever answered?

I just ran the Setup program for ODAC v11.1.7. At the end of a successfull install, it advised me to run the SQL scripts.

Looking through the files, I determined that you need to execute only one file, "InstallAllOracleASPNetProviders.SQL" which calls the other scripts.

The first script it refers to runs fine. (InstallOracleASPNetCommon.SQL)
                  But the second script refers to a function that does not exist. Even if I correct it, it runs into errors creating the synonyms!

Just wondered if I am the only one in this mess?

venki
                  • 6. Re: Where to running SQL Scripts after install of ODAC for Oracle Client?
                    Hi,

I was to in this mess. ;)

Found a post outside Oracle that helped out:
                    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/adodotnetdataproviders/thread/8d5f9494-27f9-4ee9-8399-a74434401a9a

Was able to run the script by following gdarling's post.

Perhaps this is exactly what you have attempted, never mind in that case.

Good luck!