7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2011 11:34 PM by sybrand_b

database restore; database recover; Last step?

cayenne
      Ok, this is my first try with rman to restore and recover from tape.

My restore database finished successfully...no errors.
      My recover database finished successfully...no errors.

Now...what is my last step?

Do I shut down and open back up normally, or, do I need to do something like shut down, then open with reset logs?

I'm guessing a full database backup after this re-opening would be a good idea too, no?

Thank you,

cayenne
        • 1. Re: database restore; database recover; Last step?
          cayenne wrote:

Do I shut down and open back up normally, or, do I need to do something like shut down, then open with reset logs?

I'm guessing a full database backup after this re-opening would be a good idea too, no?

Thank you,

cayenne
          Normally after recovery you would need to open the database with open resetlogs and take full backup after the database open

Cheers
          • 2. Re: database restore; database recover; Last step?
            EdStevens
            cayenne wrote:

Thank you,

cayenne
            If there are no issues reported on either the restore or recover, go ahead and simply open the db. if still no issues reported then you are good to go. Depending on the circumstances, probably a good idea to take a fresh level 0 backup at that point. If issues are reported when trying to open the database, just work the issue.
            • 3. Re: database restore; database recover; Last step?
              a

Edited by: 887171 on Sep 30, 2011 1:22 PM
              • 4. Re: database restore; database recover; Last step?
                askraks
                Hi,

restore database;
                recover database;
                alter database open;

If you are doign incomplete recovery then oracle will ask for open the DB with resetlogs.

Kind Regards,
                Rakesh
                • 5. Re: database restore; database recover; Last step?
                  I wonder: why do you specialize in asking so called 'doc questions'?

Can't be bothered to read documentation?
                  Boss doesn't pay you for reading documentation?
                  Think this is a chat room?

Kindly stop posting doc questions. It violates the Forums Etiquette.

---------
                  Sybrand Bakker
                  Senior Oracle DBA
                  • 6. Re: database restore; database recover; Last step?
                    cayenne
                    sybrand_b wrote:
                    I wonder: why do you specialize in asking so called 'doc questions'?

Can't be bothered to read documentation?
                    Boss doesn't pay you for reading documentation?
                    Think this is a chat room?

Kindly stop posting doc questions. It violates the Forums Etiquette.

---------
                    Sybrand Bakker
                    Senior Oracle DBA
                    Because I didn't see anything that specifically addressed what I've had to go through in recovering this database in the document or examples I've seen or could find.
                    And was wanting to just make sure since I was so close, didn't want to mess anything up at the last moment.

No need to be snippy about it...everyone else is happy to give some advice and help to someone who is obviously a noob at much of this and learning as he goes.
                    Hoping as I learn things better...that I can helps someone else, not to mention, that searching the forums, someone might run into a weird set of circumstances like I have on this and a couple other things.

You know the old saying..."if you don't have something nice to say, then...."?
                    :)

Thanks to all for all the help, I think I'm up and going again now.

C
                    • 7. Re: database restore; database recover; Last step?
                      Yes, I know the 'old saying'.
                      In this forum it is usually used by fundamentally lazy people to flame people who point to their laziness.
                      You seem to be no exception and enjoy to bite the hand which feeds you.
                      Enough said: I will make a note of your handle, and next time, whatever problem you might have, and didn't research, I won't respond, and I will hit the abuse button right away.
                      People like you should be learned to stop abusing this forum.

----------
                      Sybrand Bakker
                      Senior Oracle DBA