2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2011 11:35 AM by user8812402 RSS

general advice needed

user8812402
      I have a DB setup in a retail location running 11gR2 on Suse 11. I was looking into using replication onto an existing Windows machine at the location as a backup in case the linux box died. Being that this is retail and there is really no full time DBA to speak of, it needs to be as self sufficient as possible. Is replication even practical in this case. Some thing I could see complicating the situation.

1) What happens if power goes out? When everything comes back up will replication "recover" on it's own?

2) Somebody reboots the Windows box, again will replication "recover" with no user internevtion?

Any constructive input would be appreciated.
        • 1. Re: general advice needed
          stevencallan
          Streams can do this, so can GoldenGate. Both are "checkpoint aware" in the sense that they know where to start from upon startup. Streams is free, already paid for in licensing for the RDBMS; GoldenGate is an extra cost item/application.

If using Streams, you do have some limitations in terms of performance. If you are using Enterprise Edition, you're good to go, but if using Standard Edition, Streams doesn't perform as well and it is better suited for smaller amounts of data/fewer tables.
          • 2. Re: general advice needed
            user8812402
            The DBs that this would be used on are most likely considered pretty small. My main concern is reliability. I need it to be as close to "set and forget" as possible, and if the primary DB dies the secondary can be used while the primary is repaired/replaced,etc.