5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 31, 2011 3:10 AM by user11980222 RSS

Safe to delete CRS backups manually ([99999999].ocr) ?

user11980222
      Have a script which deletes the crs backup files (*.ocr) (older than 8 days) from the $CRS_HOME/cdata/[cluster-name] directory, where they just pile up as [1-9].ocr files.

The "entire CRS documentation" claims something like "we do backup every 4 times (to that directory), and at any one time we will retain 3 copies of these backups. This is non-changeable. Period."

Which is why I don't quite get the reason for the piles of .ocr files, if CRS in fact retain "+all+" backups ? (off course both statements are correct... keeping "all" is also "retaining 3 copies" ;)

But my question is - is it ok to remove what I believe are backupfiles from the $CRS_HOME/cdata/[cluster-name] directory ?

Edited by: user11980222 on Oct 18, 2011 2:34 AM
        • 1. Re: Safe to delete CRS backups manually ([99999999].ocr) ?
          Levi Pereira
          user11980222 wrote:
          Have a script which deletes the crs backup files (*.ocr) (older than 8 days) from the $CRS_HOME/cdata/[cluster-name] directory, where they just pile up as [1-9].ocr files.

The "entire CRS documentation" claims something like "we do backup every 4 times (to that directory), and at any one time we will retain 3 copies of these backups. This is non-changeable. Period."

Which is why I don't quite get the reason for the piles of .ocr files, if CRS in fact retain "+all+" backups ? (off course both statements are correct... keeping "all" is also "retaining 3 copies" ;)

But my question is - is it ok to remove what I believe are backupfiles from the $CRS_HOME/cdata/[cluster-name] directory ?
          Hi,
          Use the tech note below to fix it:
          *OCR Backup Filling Up $ORA_CRS_HOME/CDATA/ Directory [ID 741271.1]*

Hope this helps,
          Levi Pereira
          • 2. Re: Safe to delete CRS backups manually ([99999999].ocr) ?
            user11980222
            It sure did, Levi

Thanks a bundle!
            • 3. Re: Safe to delete CRS backups manually ([99999999].ocr) ?
              user11980222
              Humh! - turned out to be "negative" on solution offered in the *OCR Backup Filling Up $ORA_CRS_HOME/CDATA/ Directory [ID 741271.1]*.

This is a two node cluster. All files in node A crs backup location was root:root already. And backup files piles up in the dir !?

However - on node B the same location files was owned by oracle:oinstall - and things works here - cleanup is working.

I then changed owner on node A, in the "naive hope" that this would solve the mysteriously undocumented/uncontrollable cleanup procedure.
              Lo and behold ... it did not change anything - Oracle is still reluctant to clean up it's own mess after doing automatic ocr/crs backups !?
              But it DO insist on the root:root ownership I see, because the new 99999999.ocr files are created as root:root. But still no deletions of older backupfiles.

Something must be wrong, somewhere !?

So, I kindly ask for guidance , if anyone knows :) :

Where do we look, for indications of what is actually making the automatic cleanup acting like a spolied brat ?
              • 4. Re: Safe to delete CRS backups manually ([99999999].ocr) ?
                Levi Pereira
                Hi,

Oracle support must solve this issue. Open a SR.

Levi Pereira
                • 5. Re: Safe to delete CRS backups manually ([99999999].ocr) ?
                  user11980222
                  Hmmm, seems there are two silly buggers still alive.

The "someone" @oracle who did the non-decription of this cleanup feature of .ocr files.

And "Me", for only changing ownership of all [1-9].ocr files, and not the backup/day/week.ocr copies. When all files in the backup dir was changed, the secret backup feature started cleanup. :)