This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2011 4:44 PM by 893849 RSS

Uncover only instruments 85% of executable

893849 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Uncover reports it is only instrumenting 85% of our executable. Is there any way to have it instrument more? The important methods I would like to see a report on aren't showing up in the report. The -xO[n] compiler flag is set.
  • 1. Re: Uncover only instruments 85% of executable
    853416 Newbie
    Are these important methods being compiled with the Studio 12.3 compiler?

You could do the following to confirm all objects in the binary are built with the latest compiler:
    % dwarfdump -i a.out | grep command_line

Sheldon
  • 2. Re: Uncover only instruments 85% of executable
    893849 Newbie
    I don't see the file I am looking for with "% dwarfdump -i a.out | grep command_line" but all build commands except one (not related to what I'm looking for) show the version of the compiler we're using (12.2).
  • 3. Re: Uncover only instruments 85% of executable
    853416 Newbie
    I see several possibilities.

The files you are interested in were built without debugging (-g) OR were built with the old style debugging. Try the following and see if your file shows up:
    % dumpstabs -s a.out | grep cc

Uncover instrumentation does not rely on the presence of debugging information, though coverage will not be related to source code without -g.

Since you are using the 12.2 compiler, for uncover instrumentation to work on the file you are interested in, it needs to be compiled with optimizations (-xO1 or higher). This restriction is not there in the new 12.3 compiler.

Sheldon
  • 4. Re: Uncover only instruments 85% of executable
    893849 Newbie
    I don't see the source file I am looking for using dumpstabs or dwarfdump. I do see the header file listed, and those methods that have source code in the header file show up in the report. The methods that are just defined in the header file but have their source code in the source file don't show up in the report. The source file is part of a library that is dynamically linked when building the executable. We are using the -g and -xO1 (or higher) flags when building the libraries and executable.

The source file includes member data built from other libraries that can't be instrumented (e.g., Xerces), would that mean the entire source file cannot be instrumented?
  • 5. Re: Uncover only instruments 85% of executable
    853416 Newbie
    For uncover, each binary (executable and shared library) needs to be separately instrumented. So, you need to invoke 'uncover' for each library dependency of the main executable for which you want coverage information.

You could also instrument only the library, and not the main executable if you so desire.

And, as long as a source file is compiled with a supported Studio compiler, it can be instrumented.

It does appear that we need to document this somewhat non-intuitive uncover behavior better.

Sheldon
  • 6. Re: Uncover only instruments 85% of executable
    893849 Newbie
    Thank you Sheldon, that was the problem. It would be nice to document this, I noticed Discover has a section that mentions the libraries are automatically instrumented but I couldn't find any mention of libraries in the Uncover documentation. Thanks again for your help.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points