This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2011 5:21 PM by EJP RSS

Who decide to choose FORUM ADMIN?

Helios-GunesEROL Oracle ACE
Currently Being Moderated
Hi friends;

I am wondering something, some of forum users can be modarator.So it means someone choose those users as moderator.

My question is what is criteria?Point,post number etc??

Please update me about my doubt

Regards
Helios
  • 1. Re: Who decide to choose FORUM ADMIN?
    BluShadow Guru Moderator
    Well, I was emailed and asked by a nice lady at Oracle. I imagine she was tasked to do it by Justin.

What the exact criteria was for selection, I'm not sure, but I would guess they looked at length of membership and number of posts made (i.e. are we actively using the forums regularly) and whether we've been helpful in this feedback forum or be the type of person who has reported spammers etc. regularly.
    I imagine if we had made lots of posts just telling people to RTFM and threatening them with heavy metal objects etc. then that may have gone against us. ;)
  • 2. Re: Who decide to choose FORUM ADMIN?
    Nicolas.Gasparotto Oracle ACE
    "Moderator" here is nothing but a spam killer. Probably some threads' movers as well, but originally moderators are here to beat the spammers.
    Few mod. are coming from former Sun forums, few have been added from OTN side lately, criteria is up to OTN team which manage the forums, but it seems to keep as lowest as possible the number of mod.

Nicolas.
  • 3. Re: Who decide to choose FORUM ADMIN?
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    BluShadow wrote:

I imagine if we had made lots of posts just telling people to RTFM and threatening them with heavy metal objects etc. then that may have gone against us. ;)
    I resemble that remark...! ;-)
  • 4. Re: Who decide to choose FORUM ADMIN?
    BluShadow Guru Moderator
    Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
    BluShadow wrote:

I resemble that remark...! ;-)
    Well I was going to mention the lead pipe, but I thought it too specific. hehe! ;)

Actually I think you'd make a good moderator Billy. No beating about the bush and telling it like it is, and always with technically accurate answers.

As Nic says though we're mainly here to keep an eye of for spam and move posts in the wrong place, plus any helping hand we can give where possible.

Hopefully people have found some benefit from having the moderators around.
  • 5. Re: Who decide to choose FORUM ADMIN?
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    There is a dark side to being a moderator too - I discussed these concerns with Justin at the recently concluded OOW.

1. Moderators deleting posts and entire threads - mainly out of spite towards people participating in that thread.

2. Moderators marking old threads as "answered" and assigning "helpful" or "correct" points to cronies who have posts in that thread. I know that points do not matter to most, but there is a subset of folks to whom it does.

Srini
  • 6. Re: Who decide to choose FORUM ADMIN?
    Helios-GunesEROL Oracle ACE
    Hi;

Thanks All for your experience and kind message

Regards
    Helios
  • 7. Re: Who decide to choose FORUM ADMIN?
    BluShadow Guru Moderator
    Srini Chavali wrote:
    There is a dark side to being a moderator too - I discussed these concerns with Justin at the recently concluded OOW.

1. Moderators deleting posts and entire threads - mainly out of spite towards people participating in that thread.
    Moderators shouldn't be doing that. We were only asked to deal with spammers and to help move posts if they're in the wrong place, or lock/delete duplicates (especially when we had the issue of triplicate postings). Perhaps this is moderators who migrated from elsewhere to these forums, who have brought their previous moderating practices with them?
    2. Moderators marking old threads as "answered" and assigning "helpful" or "correct" points to cronies who have posts in that thread. I know that points do not matter to most, but there is a subset of folks to whom it does.
    Moderators can mark a thread as "assumed answered" (though I'm not sure if all users see that, I think they can, though I don't really do it myself). I'm not aware we can assign helpful or correct points to any posts.... as far as I'm aware only the thread starter can assign points.
  • 8. Re: Who decide to choose FORUM ADMIN?
    BluShadow wrote:
    Srini Chavali wrote:

Moderators shouldn't be doing that. We were only asked to deal with spammers and to help move posts if they're in the wrong place, or lock/delete duplicates (especially when we had the issue of triplicate postings). Perhaps this is moderators who migrated from elsewhere to these forums, who have brought their previous moderating practices with them?
    Agreed, moderators should not be deleting legitimate posts and threads - but they have and have been caught doing so. These are not moderators who have migrated to these forums from elsewhere.
    Moderators can mark a thread as "assumed answered" (though I'm not sure if all users see that, I think they can, though I don't really do it myself). I'm not aware we can assign helpful or correct points to any posts.... as far as I'm aware only the thread starter can assign points.
    When you mark a thread as "assumed answered", you can also assign points to any of replies in the thread (other than your own) - try it.

Srini
  • 9. Re: Who decide to choose FORUM ADMIN?
    BluShadow Guru Moderator
    Srini Chavali wrote:
    BluShadow wrote:
    Srini Chavali wrote:

Agreed, moderators should not be deleting legitimate posts and threads - but they have and have been caught doing so. These are not moderators who have migrated to these forums from elsewhere.
    Oooo, well, it wasn't me. Shame on them.
    When you mark a thread as "assumed answered", you can also assign points to any of replies in the thread (other than your own) - try it.
    Just tried it on a an old thread in this forum (one that appeared answered). You're right, I could award points, except to my own post. Well I never knew that. Bad feature if you ask me, as it's not up to the moderator to decide what's correct or helpful. Perhaps I'm just too damn honest. :)
  • 10. Re: Who decide to choose FORUM ADMIN? ( and the deeds they get up to)
    bigdelboy Pro
    Interesting case I just noticed of post message:id=9946267 : {message:id=9946267} which originally was end of thread:id=2294082 {thread:id=2294082} being moved to its own thread thread:id=2301206 {thread:id=2301206}

This disconnection may have been appropriate .. it was a little off topic (as indeed this thread may have veered) ... as the subject appears to have been made with no recorded reason.

( Interestingly leave a call for help to Monika as perhaps the only clue to the orgin ).
  • 11. Re: Who decide to choose FORUM ADMIN? ( and the deeds they get up to)
    Moderators do have the privilege of taking a post and "branching it off" to a new thread of its own - either in the same forum or a different forum.

Srini
  • 12. Re: Who decide to choose FORUM ADMIN? ( and the deeds they get up to)
    bigdelboy Pro
    Srini Chavali wrote:
    Moderators do have the privilege of taking a post and "branching it off" to a new thread of its own - either in the same forum or a different forum.

Srini
    Thankx for info Srini. Perhaps general best practice would be for moderator to indicate when post moved to a new thread (and I know many do when moving forum). But for most moderator time is precious ... and there can be interupts ... and best practice may perhaps not always to be able to be followed. And perhaps it may upset the poster more than by just moving him. It is perhaps better is a post is moved silently the the modator flame the poster.
  • 13. Re: Who decide to choose FORUM ADMIN? ( and the deeds they get up to)
    There are a quite a number of moderators - the exact number is perhaps known only to someone in Oracle. There are no documented or known guidelines for moderators to follow - such as the one you speak of. I had requested the Forums team to come up with such rules and guidelines, but have been unsuccessful so far. Currently, moderators are free to determine what the guidelines/rules are based on their own judgement - so you will see quite a bit of variation of behavior :-)

Srini
  • 14. Re: Who decide to choose FORUM ADMIN? ( and the deeds they get up to)
    BluShadow Guru Moderator
    Srini Chavali wrote:
    There are a quite a number of moderators - the exact number is perhaps known only to someone in Oracle. There are no documented or known guidelines for moderators to follow
    Except these: (only visible to moderators, I believe...)
    https://forums.oracle.com/forums/ann.jspa?annID=1575

... which essentially says that only spam should be deleted and anything else should be reported for admin to deal with.
    - such as the one you speak of. I had requested the Forums team to come up with such rules and guidelines, but have been unsuccessful so far. Currently, moderators are free to determine what the guidelines/rules are based on their own judgement - so you will see quite a bit of variation of behavior :-)
    Yes, those guidelines are not adhered to strictly but mainly because of the needs of the forum i.e. when Jive was creating 3+ copies of posts all the time (thankfully that's stopped now), it would have been impossible to report them all for admin to deal with and it made sense for the moderators to use correct judgement to remove duplicates and keep things tidy. It's also perfectly reasonable for moderators to move a thread to the correct forum if it's posted in the wrong place, or split a post to it's own thread (not something I do often myself) if it's been tagged onto an old one and/or isn't relevant to the thread it's posted on, or to edit a post to correct some formatting for a member and advise them how to do it etc. What isn't correct judgement is to delete posts because the moderator doesn't agree with the answer or thinks it's stupid or argumentative etc. Those are the sort of things that need directing to admin to judge and deal with. Essentially, if we remove the ego from the job that needs doing, then it will work ok.
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points