1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 20, 2011 7:15 AM by teits RSS

swap config suggestions

Kspeed-Oracle
      We have three M5000 servers (with 256gb RAM each) in an environment where we are running multiple solari 10 containers on each server. I keep running into application issues where java processes are unable to start because of OOM errors. Physical memory is abundant, but swap is another story. The servers were originally configured w/ 16gb swap. When we first saw this issue, we grew it to 32gb and now 64gb after seeing the issues again.

My question is: What is the best practice regarding swap size for a solaris container environment?
        • 1. Re: swap config suggestions
          teits
          Its mostly depends on the applications you are running on the Solaris container. for oracle database you can follow this guideline as an initial sizing for swap size:
          RAM     SIZE SWAP SPACE
          Between 1 GB and 2 GB     1.5 times the size of RAM
          Between 2 GB and 16 GB     Equal to the size of RAM
          More than 16 GB     16 GB

You can check http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E19253-01/817-5093/fsswap-31050/index.html for general guidelines.

But i will advice you allocate at least swap size that is equal or greater than the RAM (except u are using RAM of 32-128GB!!!)

NOTE: for the issues you are having...better check for memory leakages! libumem can be helpful for your troubleshooting.