5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2012 3:47 AM by gimbal2 RSS

SCWCD 1.5 Exam

Hello Everyone,

I have planned to take up SCWCD 1.5 (Oracle 1Z0-858) exam on coming dec month. I started preparing for that.

Please advice me can I go head and take up the exam or better prepare and do the J2EE 6 (Oracle -1Z0-894 Java Platform, Enterprise Edition 6 JavaServer Pages and Servlet Developer Certified Expert) exam .

Thanks

Regards
      Jeyakumar C
        • 1. Re: SCWCD 1.5 Exam
          gimbal2
          Why do it at all? Nobody with any brains cares if you have this paper, it only proves that you are good at temporarily cramming information into your head, it doesn't prove that you can actually do anything. You'd either have to do it because you like to obtain certificates or because a company asked for it specifically, otherwise there is little reason.

And yes always go for the latest technology version. It doesn't make much sense to pay a good amount of money for an exam that is already replaced or going to be replaced by a newer one.

Finally, how much do you know about Java web development? If nothing, a little over 2 months of study time might not be enough. Its a very difficult subject even if you don't go beyond the servlet container level.
          • 2. Re: SCWCD 1.5 Exam
            Thanks for your reply. Actually I decided to do SCWCD 1.5 Exam. So I am preparing for that.

Please advice me if you have any specific tips before appearing for the exam.

Thank you very much again.

Regards
            Jeyakumar C
            • 3. Re: SCWCD 1.5 Exam
              I am the one who was certified for SCWCD 2 years ago. I crammed for this within a month and got 86% score. Read Head First JSPs and Servlets book, and visit CodeRanch regularly.

And as gimbal2 said, a certification is just a paper, what you are able to do is more important.

Good luck!
              • 4. Re: SCWCD 1.5 Exam
                Thanks Nicky & gimbal2 for your reply and advice. I started preparing with Head First JSPs and Servlets book. I will post my results once I cleared the exam with good scores.

Thanks once again.

Regards
                Jeyakumar C
                • 5. Re: SCWCD 1.5 Exam
                  gimbal2
                  Compare what you learn from your book to this free online one, which I consider the most clearly explained and correct of all I have read:

http://pdf.coreservlets.com/