This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 21, 2011 5:19 PM by 895547 RSS

Install troubles with J2EE SDK 6u3

881390 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I´m trying to install java_ee_sdk-6u3-jdk7-windows.exe on a W7 mashine
I get the error
could not find required version JAVA(TM) 2 Runtime Environment in (null)

thanks for nay clue
  • 1. Re: Install troubles with J2EE SDK 6u3
    883654 Newbie
    Hi

from the command line:

If you have set the JAVA_HOME environment variable:

java_ee_sdk-6u3-jdk7-windows.exe  -j %JAVA_HOME%

Otherwise:

*java_ee_sdk-6u3-jdk7-windows.exe -j +<PATH_TO_JDK_HOME>+*

Exemple:
    java_ee_sdk-6u3-jdk7-windows.exe -j U:\java\jdk7

Note
    For x64:
    java_ee_sdk-6u3-jdk7-windows-x64.exe -j %JAVA_HOME%
    Or
    *java_ee_sdk-6u3-jdk7-windows-x64.exe -j +<PATH_TO_JDK_HOME>+*
    Etc.

Regards,
    Olivier M.

Edited by: 880651 on 21 août 2011 06:34
  • 2. Re: Install troubles with J2EE SDK 6u3
    889462 Newbie
    Tried the advice, now it says "Could not find the required version of the Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment in 'C:\opt\jdk7'." where 'C:\opt\jdk7' is the directory I specified with the -j argument. Can the directory be empty or do I need to install something there first?
  • 3. Re: Install troubles with J2EE SDK 6u3
    han-dat Newbie
    C:\opt\jdk7 is where your jdk would had been installed. It cannot be empty and needs to contain a working jdk or jre.
    This is a chicken and egg problem. The installer uses the jdk/jre to install jdk and ee, but fails if it cannot find an existing jdk/jre. So install a jdk or jre first and try again.
  • 4. Re: Install troubles with J2EE SDK 6u3
    895547 Newbie
    I added the environment variable and also reinstalled the Java SE JRE, but still get the null error when I try to install the Java2EE SDK. Do I have to reboot to have the environment variable take effect?
  • 5. Re: Install troubles with J2EE SDK 6u3
    gimbal2 Guru
    892544 wrote:
    I added the environment variable and also reinstalled the Java SE JRE, but still get the null error when I try to install the Java2EE SDK. Do I have to reboot to have the environment variable take effect?
    No, you only have to create a new command prompt. but you can just as easily do a 'set VARIABLENAME=VALUE' to make it active directly in your current command prompt session.
  • 6. Re: Install troubles with J2EE SDK 6u3
    895547 Newbie
    Ok, I misread the above, but got it straightened out. I'm having trouble figuring out exactly where the JRE was installed. A search in Windows Explorer turns up only a .msi file which the icon leads me to believe is just a version of the install file, and a .pf file in C:\Windows\Prefetch, neither of which I believe are the actual JRE. I have the following JRE directories and am not sure which is the correct one or if I have several versions of the JRE installed:
    C:\Program Files\Java
    C:\Users\{username}\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java
    C:\app\product\11.1.0\client_1\jdk
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Designer 8.2

I assume it's one of the first three, and I've tried each along with subdirectories (...\jre7\bin, ...\jdk, ...\jdk\bin) added to the each path, but keep getting the same error:
    "Could not find the required version of the Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment in '{path}'"

Another forum said that I needed to download and install the 32-bit version of the JRE. I just tried that with the same error resulting.

Edited by: 892544 on Oct 21, 2011 11:24 AM
  • 7. Re: Install troubles with J2EE SDK 6u3
    895547 Newbie
    It installed after rebooting my PC - not sure if it requires the 32-bit JRE - I may try reinstalling the 64-bit JRE sometime.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points