3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 24, 2011 10:54 AM by __*834332*ld RSS

8.1.1.x Upgrade Breaks Validation Rules

mroshaw76
      Hi all,

After running a Siebel 7.8 to 8.1.1.5 upgrade, we have noticed that a number of Validation Rules are not working - a blank dialog is displayed when the rule is violated.

Investigation shows that the messages associated to a Rule have moved from 7.8 to 8.1:

7.8: S_VALDN_RULE (VALDN_MSG_ID and ERR_MSG_TXT)
      8.1: S_VALD_RULE (VALDN_MSG_ID) and S_ISS_VALDN_MSG (MSG_TEXT)

However, the upgrade scripts do not migrate the data correctly between these tables. This is documented as a defect in ID 1077704.1.

The 'workaround' in this Doc ID suggests we write our own EIM scripts to migrate the data. However, there is no EIM table to update the S_VALD_RULE table to correct the foreign key reference to S_ISS_VALDN_MSG. To be honest, it's a cop out 'workaround' anyway, trying to get customers to fix the defect themselves.

Has anyone else encountered this before and what have to done to resolve? My main concern is that this issue will be present when we upgrade Production over the cutover weekend - we do NOT want to be hacking around fixing Oracle defects in the tiny window that we have to deploy the upgrade.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Regards,

mroshaw
        • 1. Re: 8.1.1.x Upgrade Breaks Validation Rules
          __*834332*ld
          Unfortunately my upgrade experience to 8.1 is all 7.5. However, as a general rule for something like this I would write SQL to do the migration, send it to Oracle and ask them to review it and add it to the upgrade non standard change request for free.

Steve
          • 2. Re: 8.1.1.x Upgrade Breaks Validation Rules
            mroshaw76
            Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply!

I heard from Oracle today that the upgrade scripts have been fixed in 8.2.2 so I've effectively asked what you've suggested: that they send me the SQL scripts, along with authorisation to use them.

I've been messing around all day with this, trying to develop a fix. However, 'Data Validation' is all specialized class, so I can't use scripting or anything to fix the data - Validation Rule Sets have to be 'Revised' and 'Activated' in order to change the underlying rules and there's no supported mechanism to do this. I also believe that the 'EIM' suggestion in the Oracle SR is just a lazy excuse to say 'Solution Offered' - there is no way to use EIM to fix the underlying relationship issue between Rules and Messages. Waste of time even putting it in as I've had to go down this path (and waste hours) to find a dead end.

Rubbish!

Regards,

mroshaw
            • 3. Re: 8.1.1.x Upgrade Breaks Validation Rules
              __*834332*ld
              I agree EIM is not an alternative. ADM or export/import would be, however for that you would still have to set up correct data validation rules in your dev upgrade environment and remember to manage any changes made in production go into dev upgrade and exported so that they can be imported post upgrade. Depending on extent of use this could be impractical. Simpler to resolve with the NSCR.

Steve