6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 24, 2011 2:41 PM by 818984 RSS

Two questions

user1862659
      Hi everyone,

this is my first approach to Exadata world. My company have bought a 1-1/4 Exadata Rack. There are 40 databases for all environments.

Is it possible a "Split Rack" with a quarter of rack and assign 1TB for testing patches (A separate environment for testing patches and upgrades )?.

2. I plan several diskgroups (one for each database or at least one for each important database, two or three) with interleaving but I don´t know how to control what physical disks are used by what diskgroups. This is, if a disk fails, all grid disks depending of that disk will be affected and all diskgroups with extents on that disk will also "fail" (or will be affected). Is there any way to assign or map or prevent a disk to be used by a diskgroup in a similar way as I can specify raw disks for ASM?. The idea is to avoid a diskgroup or a database to be affected by the failure of disks of other one.

Greetings.
        • 1. Re: Two questions
          Uwehesse-Oracle
          Not sure I understood your first question.
          To the second question:
          I recommend first that you review that requirement (creating diskgroups for each database). The standard approach is to spread all databases across the same (2) diskgroups DATA & RECO.
          If you insist on your strategy then yes, that can be done with Storage Security.
          See here for details:
          http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/focus-areas/availability/maa-exadata-consolidated-roles-459605.pdf

Kind regards
          Uwe Hesse

http://uhesse.wordpress.com
          • 2. Re: Two questions
            user1862659
            Thank you Uwe,

about my first question. As we haven´t an environment for testing patches and upgrades, the only way is to apply patches directly on the production environment with all risks it implies to. Mi idea consists of a separate little partition or split the 1/4 rack and use it for testing. The basis for the idea is:

http://blog.oracle-ninja.com/2011/07/interesting-exadata-configuration/

however my Exadata is 1/4, not a half. Do you think is it possible?.

Best regards.
            • 3. Re: Two questions
              andy.colvin
              The smallest configuration possible with Exadata (if you want a redundant configuration) is to have 3 storage servers. Because that is all that's in your environment, you can't really divide it further. ASM on Exadata is configured so that each cell is a failure group. Because a diskgroup containing OCR and voting files requires 3 failure groups for normal redundancy, you need 3 storage servers. On a quarter rack, there really isn't anywhere to create an environment to isolate for storage server patching.

Remember that bundle patches can be applied to non-Exadata databases. While you won't really be able to test all functionality with them, you can practice applying them.
              • 4. Re: Two questions
                user1862659
                Thank you Andy, very clear explanation.

And the last one (I promise ...). Does anyone know if vm image will be public?, this question is intended for Oracle employees. I think it is very important a test software for testing. In my case, with an only quarter of rack and without development environment it is very necessary to avoid risks and I suppose this problem is shared by many customers.

Thank you for you help, very userful.
                • 5. Re: Two questions
                  Dan.Norris-Oracle
                  This question has been asked before by others and the answer has been consistent: no VM images are planned for release. Answering why not is above my pay grade, so you'll have to theorize that part.
                  • 6. Re: Two questions
                    Thank you Dan, I hope not to upset anyone with my question.

Best regards.