This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2013 7:55 AM by 989526 RSS

Cannot find deinstall folder after installed Instant Client

884659 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have installed Instant Client thru Instant Client option in Oracle Database 11g Release 2 Client (11.2.0.1.0) for Microsoft Windows (x64) NOT thru Instant Client package. Please note that I only installed the Instant Client.

I cannot find the deinstall folder which is mentioned in the Oracle Database Client Installation Guide http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e16774.pdf:

The Deinstallation Tool (deinstall) is available in the installation media before installation, and is available in Oracle home directories after installation. It is located in ORACLE_HOME\deinstall.

I need to uninstall the Instant Client.
  • 1. Re: Cannot find deinstall folder after installed Instant Client
    sb92075 Guru
    881656 wrote:
    I have installed Instant Client thru Instant Client option in Oracle Database 11g Release 2 Client (11.2.0.1.0) for Microsoft Windows (x64) NOT thru Instant Client package. Please note that I only installed the Instant Client.

I cannot find the deinstall folder which is mentioned in the Oracle Database Client Installation Guide http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e16774.pdf:

The Deinstallation Tool (deinstall) is available in the installation media before installation, and is available in Oracle home directories after installation. It is located in ORACLE_HOME\deinstall.

I need to uninstall the Instant Client.
    why?
    what is downside to just ignoring the software?
  • 2. Re: Cannot find deinstall folder after installed Instant Client
    884659 Newbie
    After I installed the Instant Client, I have installed the oledb from 64-bit ODAC 11.2 Release 3 (11.2.0.2.1) for Windows x64 by executing install.bat oledb c:\oracle odac.

I believe I have done the installations wrong since I have the following values in registries:

under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Oracle\KEY_odac:
    NLS_LANG has the value AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8MSWIN1252
    OLEDB has the value c:\Oracle\oledb\mesg
    ORACLE_GROUP_NAME has the value Oracle - odac
    ORACLE_HOME has the value c:\Oracle\
    ORACLE_HOME_NAME has the value odac

under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Oracle\KEY_OraClient11g_home1:
    NLS_LANG has the value AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8MSWIN1252
    ORACLE_GROUP_NAME has the value Oracle - OraClient11g_home1
    ORACLE_HOME has the value C:\Oracle\product\11.2.0\client_1
    ORACLE_HOME_NAME has the value OraClient11g_home1

I think the values between the 2 registries should be same but I'm not sure since I'm still trying to learn Oracle.
  • 3. Re: Cannot find deinstall folder after installed Instant Client
    Helios-GunesEROL Oracle ACE
    Hi;

Please see:
    how to uninstall client software
    Re: how to uninstall client software(oracle)

Regard
    Helios
  • 4. Re: Cannot find deinstall folder after installed Instant Client
    wolfeet Newbie
    "why?"
    "what is downside to just ignoring the software?"

That's a good plan. Install crap that won't uninstall according to the documentation and just leave it there and ignore it. Don't worry about all vulnerabilities that will get triggered by the fact there's a whole new oracle_home on your server that is garbage.

Someone try answering the person's question without being arrogant (a first for this site) because I have the exact same problem. Run setup.exe from the client software directory, OUI pops up and I select Instant Client, it installs a help file and Microsoft ODBC Administrator which I already have in the 11.2.0.3 rdbms install. So I bring up OUI and click on the Instant Client home (requires its own home) and "Remove". To uninstall, run <oracle_home>deinstall/deinstall. Oops, no such thing. So we're back to the original poster's question.
  • 5. Re: Cannot find deinstall folder after installed Instant Client
    989526 Newbie
    same here. 10 and 11 instant client have been installed on the machine I'm using. need to uninstall the instant homes

there is no uninstaller under the start menu folder for the instant clients, nor an entry in the add/remove programs (we can't be bothered doing that!). I cannot run the OUI because the only version present is for 10. The ODAC installer I'm trying to run can't uninstall (sorry, DEinstall. who came up with that?!?) it, and says I need to run the deinstall in a folder that doesn't exist.

so annoying..
  • 6. Re: Cannot find deinstall folder after installed Instant Client
    989526 Newbie
    Not sure if I've completely removed these or not, but here's what I did ..

Removed the offending Instant 'homes' from the PATH (right click My COMputer -> properties -> advanced -> environment variables)

restarted the machine

deleted the offending instant home directories

fired up the ODAC 11g OUI.

only the 10 home displayed .. checked the 'show empty homes' box

checked the offending homes, clicked remove. they 'removed'.

Incoming Links

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points