This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 25, 2011 9:01 AM by 894901 RSS

patchadd hangs during capacity check

894901 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I'm having a difficult time trying to patch a Solaris 10 VM (x86, update 7). Trying to install a single patch from the Update 9 patch bundle, I'm doing the following:

bash-3.00# patchadd /tmp/patches/119255-76

<lots of stuff>

Verifying sufficient filesystem capacity (dry run method)

And it basically just stops there. I've left it running overnight last night. The root partition is at ~82% capacity, the /tmp partition is ~1% (swap partition). TMPDIR=/tmp.

I don't know what else to try and I'm not familiar enough with solaris to know any tricks. This is a VM and I've taken a snapshot before doing any patching so I'm not opposed to trying something risky if anyone has any ideas.

Well, thanks for any info at all or any tips :)
  • 1. Re: patchadd hangs during capacity check
    894901 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    It turns out that, if I use pkgadd it also hangs. Both patchadd and pkgadd will hang and, using truss, it appears they're both sleeping waiting on an event. I haven't dug in deep enough to figure out what event. I'm wondering if there are any "brute force" mechanisms I can use to get these patches applied to this system (?) Like I said, I've snapshotted it and it's not a critical machine, I just need to have this machine upgraded. Thanks for any info.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points